Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Is it me our is Brooklyn/Queens gentrifying as LI continues to Slum?

Great article in the Sunday times about our young peoples flight to to the boroughs.

There was a time once when our parents moved out to the Country on LI.

Sadly theres none left.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:10 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Well crooks, grew up in Mastic Beach(please refrain from heckling) moved to Hampton Bays then to Bay Ridge Brooklyn. Hated Brooklyn the most. Only upside is that I could walk to most things I needed. Other than that it sucks. I live in E.Islip for the time being. Love it.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:12 PM

119 posts, read 451,828 times
I will NEVER EVER move to Brooklyn/Queens. No way. Thats because I am not a fan of the "busy areas".

Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjStC View Post
I will NEVER EVER move to Brooklyn/Queens. No way. Thats because I am not a fan of the "busy areas".

So what are you doing in Plainview?
; )

Its busy in Rocky Point, its mayhem in Plainview.

Quite ironically thats where the folks in the article are from.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/re...ref=realestate

crooks

Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Is it me our is Brooklyn/Queens gentrifying as LI continues to Slum?

Great article in the Sunday times about our young peoples flight to to the boroughs.

There was a time once when our parents moved out to the Country on LI.

Sadly theres none left.

crooks
It's not just you. I think people are finally coming to the realization that Long Island has NOTHING to offer anyone except for overpriced houses, illegal apartments, insane taxes, and less than average schools.

In the boros, you're a mere $2 (soon to be $2.50) subway ride away from everything you could ever want or need and you can actually WALK to the store if you need milk or groceries or anything else.

And, please, don't tell me about the "beaches" that everyone seems to say is the greatest thing about LI..... I mean, really, how often do you go to the beach? If you're a working person, you may be lucky to get to the beach a few times over the summer so the beaches don't make it worth it to be out here. If you're living in the boros and you want to go to the beach, you can go to Far Rockaway, Coney Island, or take a day trip to Jones Beach.

Last edited by omigawd; 12-28-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It's not just you. I think people are finally coming to the realization that Long Island has NOTHING to offer anyone except for overpriced houses, illegal apartments, insane taxes, and less than average schools.

In the boros, you're a mere $2 (soon to be $2.50) subway ride away from everything you could ever want or need.

And, please, don't tell me about the "beaches" that everyone seems to say is the greatest thing about LI..... I mean, really, how often do you go to the beach? If you're a working person, you may be lucky to get to the beach a few times over the summer so the beaches don't make it worth it to be out here. If you're living in the boros and you want to go to the beach, you can go to Far Rockaway, Coney Island, or take a day trip to Jones Beach.
You are 100 percent correct.

crooks

Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Here is the article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/re...ref=realestate

Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Well, considering that they are 24 years old with no kids, is it really a surprise that they want the city? Fast forward 10 years with 2 kids, and they'll be looking for a house instead of an apartment, and they'll be looking in the burbs.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Well, considering that they are 24 years old with no kids, is it really a surprise that they want the city? Fast forward 10 years with 2 kids, and they'll be looking for a house instead of an apartment, and they'll be looking in the burbs.
pretty much... and nyc is far from cheap anyway

Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
pretty much... and nyc is far from cheap anyway
We'd like to think that... but dont be so sure.

Nassau is looking more like Queens every day and the majority of Suffolk has an unbearable commute thanks to the Nassau County Rail Road.

NYC is a steal when youre not making 2 car payments with gas/ins etc.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island