Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Farmingdale is a big place. The part by the downtown village is pretty walkable. I almost enjoyed living there.

Plainview stinks in that respect. There is no village. Just a bunch of mini-malls along Old Country Road.
The Farmingdale that scored 98/100 is just the village, the dark green colored chunk on the Suffolk border in the map above. South Farmingdale and East Farmingdale do not fare anywhere near as well. Also, Plainview definitely doesn't strike me as a place for anything but disgusting Lexus SUVs....but at the same time it scores a lot better than most places in this country specifically because you can walk to those stupid mini-malls along Old Country Road, depending on how far off of it you live.

crooks - What about Huntington if you live close enough to 25A? Are there even houses close to it? I know there are some pretty nice looking garden apartments slightly to the west. Babylon is great too, I take the train out there sometimes....it costs $2.25 when they actually check the tickets and takes 20 minutes or less!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The Farmingdale that scored 98/100 is just the village, the dark green colored chunk on the Suffolk border in the map above. South Farmingdale and East Farmingdale do not fare anywhere near as well. Also, Plainview definitely doesn't strike me as a place for anything but disgusting Lexus SUVs....but at the same time it scores a lot better than most places in this country specifically because you can walk to those stupid mini-malls along Old Country Road, depending on how far off of it you live.

crooks - What about Huntington if you live close enough to 25A? Are there even houses close to it? I know there are some pretty nice looking garden apartments slightly to the west. Babylon is great too, I take the train out there sometimes....it costs $2.25 when they actually check the tickets and takes 20 minutes or less!
I like Babylon better than Huntington because of the proximity of the Rail to the Downtown and the Ocean.
(and you dont want to be on foot near Huntington Station)

Im a North Shore guy but Babylon is a gem.I'd take it over Huntington hands down.

crooks

Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I like Babylon better than Huntington because of the proximity of the Rail to the Downtown and the Ocean.
(and you dont want to be on foot near Huntington Station)

Im a North Shore guy but Babylon is a gem.I'd take it over Huntington hands down.

crooks
True, true....the train station is a hike from Huntington Village. How late do the HART buses run? I read somewhere once that you can whistle for one to stop on any corner and they will....never seen it myself, however.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,122 times
what do they actually consider "walking distance" anyway? a mile? half a mile?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Babylon is way nicer than Huntington...no contest!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM

93 posts, read 242,701 times
Used to take the Hart bus in high school. Yes, they will stop for you, just hold up your arm (with eye contact). The bus nearly passed me by as I looked away after flagging the driver. Luckily my friends that got on earlier told him to stop....

Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
Used to take the Hart bus in high school. Yes, they will stop for you, just hold up your arm.

Thats cool

We need more of that on LI.

crooks

Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Babylon is way nicer than Huntington...no contest!
I respect your opinion, but having lived in both places, my vote goes to Huntington. (Doesn't mean I don't like Babylon!)
Maybe we look for different things in a town?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I respect your opinion, but having lived in both places, my vote goes to Huntington. (Doesn't mean I don't like Babylon!)
Maybe we look for different things in a town?
As have I (and I prefer the North Shore) but Babylon has probably the best downtown in Suffolk County.
Add in the proximity to the Bay AND the Ocean, plus express NYC service on the LIRR....its a home run.

Considering the direction of neighboring Huntington Station...Id take Babylon Village, hands down (Better schools too).

Respectfully

crooks

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Also, Plainview definitely doesn't strike me as a place for anything but disgusting Lexus SUVs....but at the same time it scores a lot better than most places in this country specifically because you can walk to those stupid mini-malls along Old Country Road, depending on how far off of it you live.
If the weather is nice, and you like to walk. I mean, if you like to walk 2 - 3 miles to get what you want. The mini-malls are fairly sparsely spaced along the road.

The best store along OC Rd. is John's Farms. I was out there for New Years, and they had some great grocery bargains - I got a real nice piece of fillet mignon for $4.99/lb, which is a great price for that cut. They also have really nice produce. The only thing I won't buy there is the ground meat, which often tastes funny.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but it's a great supermarket that I never miss a chance to recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island