Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
no, my neice was harrassed by gangs in farmingdale high school a couple of years ago.
Very sorry to hear about your niece's difficult experiences. I have 2 teenagers in the F'dale schools and things like that are a concern for parents everywhere. Perhaps it's fortunate, but my kids and their friends have not had any issues in F'dale HS in this regard.

From the local LE perspective the gang activity in this area is very loosely organized and not very well affiliated. This, IMO, is not very different than most areas of LI, including Massapequa. There are gang issues all over the Island involving HS age kids so I do not think it's fair to label F'dale for a problem that effects us all, the same way it would not be fair to label Massapequa as a drug haven.

Quote:
massapequa's educational system is far much superior than farmingdales.
Sorry, I disagree. Massapequa does post some better "numbers" and is really an excellent school system. However, much of the "number" differences are due to socio economic as well as demographic make up, and therefore should be considered expected differences. IMO, formed from direct experience, F'dale is a fine district with committed educators and many opportunities for a diverse student body and is not dramatically inferior to Massapequa in any way. I believe most F'dale grads, like most Massapequa grads, will be well prepared for college, or for their next step in life. Clearly, most is not all and that once again is a universal problem.

Of course everyone has different perspective, emotion and experience which contributes to forming one's opinion. As a kid who grew up in Brooklyn perhaps I'm somewhat clouded to what some native LI'ers see as "bad". But, IMO the majority of LI schools are absolutely spectacular in comparison to most of the NYC schools. One of the primary reasons I left NYC was to avoid sending kids through that system. We should all be generally proud of the schools on LI.

Enough of my nonsense....time for a laugh
KENNY, not sure if GUIDO is your real name or a lifestyle choice, so please don't take offense (hey, my first car was a '76 Coupe DeVille with double basket spokes, Vogues and an Italian Horn hanging from the rearview, so I'm not knocking anybody) but "Guido" made me think of this video that made laugh recently...

YouTube - Geico Guidos - Airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
CleanCutHippie, prior to 1990, the eastern-third of what is now the Hamlet of East Massapequa (i.e., the area east of Carmen Mill Road) was the Hamlet of West Amityville, and traveling west to east from the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line, there was the Hamlet of Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of East Massapequa and the Hamlet of West Amityville; then in 1990, concomitant with the 1990 Federal Census, the Hamlet of West Amityville was made part of an already existing Hamlet of East Massappequa.

interesting info. good to know.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Very sorry to hear about your niece's difficult experiences. I have 2 teenagers in the F'dale schools and things like that are a concern for parents everywhere. Perhaps it's fortunate, but my kids and their friends have not had any issues in F'dale HS in this regard.

From the local LE perspective the gang activity in this area is very loosely organized and not very well affiliated. This, IMO, is not very different than most areas of LI, including Massapequa. There are gang issues all over the Island involving HS age kids so I do not think it's fair to label F'dale for a problem that effects us all, the same way it would not be fair to label Massapequa as a drug haven.

Sorry, I disagree. Massapequa does post some better "numbers" and is really an excellent school system. However, much of the "number" differences are due to socio economic as well as demographic make up, and therefore should be considered expected differences. IMO, formed from direct experience, F'dale is a fine district with committed educators and many opportunities for a diverse student body and is not dramatically inferior to Massapequa in any way. I believe most F'dale grads, like most Massapequa grads, will be well prepared for college, or for their next step in life. Clearly, most is not all and that once again is a universal problem.

Of course everyone has different perspective, emotion and experience which contributes to forming one's opinion. As a kid who grew up in Brooklyn perhaps I'm somewhat clouded to what some native LI'ers see as "bad". But, IMO the majority of LI schools are absolutely spectacular in comparison to most of the NYC schools. One of the primary reasons I left NYC was to avoid sending kids through that system. We should all be generally proud of the schools on LI.

KENNY, not sure if GUIDO is your real name or a lifestyle choice, so please don't take offense (hey, my first car was a '76 Coupe DeVille with double basket spokes, Vogues and an Italian Horn hanging from the rearview, so I'm not knocking anybody) but "Guido" made me think of this video that made laugh recently...

I love that commercial! thanks! "GUIDO" is just my professional name. I work for several radio stations in NY and its just a shadow of who I was 20 years ago.

Ive always loved Massapequa and its contents. Ive heard many terrible things about Farmingdale with its gangs, or group of kids trying to be tough. Massapequa had that problem 20 years ago, but all it was is a bunch of italian kids walking all over town, starting fights with anyone they ran into. My neice had come to me several time over the years with problems with the kids in her school and I would get so tempted to call my Guardian Angel alumni to go down and take care of the problem but it seems that the school was able to take care of it themselves almost immediately.
I also based Massapequa schools excellence by its low number of drop outs. When I was looking for another house, I thought it was time to leave massapequa but my wife insisted that we stay here, south of merrick road and remain in the same school that our son was attending. I didnt mind much. afterall, I did attend the same school(s) he is attending and I found that most of the teachers were very good. It also helps that I am my sons father and most of the teachers remember my name.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM

108 posts, read 357,879 times
thanks for all the responses folks. great information and exactly was i was looking for. a little worried about all the gang talk though. we live in east rockaway now and have never heard of things of that nature going down here, so that's a little concerning.
we are looking for something less than $400K or about that, depending on extras or the lack thereof.
thanks again!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
thanks for all the responses folks. great information and exactly was i was looking for. a little worried about all the gang talk though. we live in east rockaway now and have never heard of things of that nature going down here, so that's a little concerning.
we are looking for something less than $400K or about that, depending on extras or the lack thereof.
thanks again!
As far the gang talk goes, nothing really to worry about. More than anything its a bunch of kids who think they are tough, basically a clique which will make a gang name for themselves. Very loosely organized and then go off to college. More of a group of kids trying to be tough than any real kind of gang, likely have the same thing in East Rockaway.

As far as price range goes, two years ago, it would have been very hard to find that in the Massapequa school district. Now you do have a bit of a selection, not a huge one by any means, but have a decent amount to choose from, especially in the areas zoned for Mckenna

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Im also kind of proud of all the celebrities that came out of massapequa. makes me proud to say Im from this town. of course, we have the celebtards like buttafucco and jessica hahn but its the funny ones like jerry seinfeld, the baldwin brothers and steve gutenburg that make up for it. also, having great musicians like the stray cats and dee snyder only make itthat much more enjoyable. theres so much talent oozing out of this town!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post

Friggin' hilarious.

This is an old one...
Some found it funny others not so much..but its meant in fun.
http://getoffourisland.com/

crooks

Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Friggin' hilarious.

This is an old one...
Some found it funny others not so much..but its meant in fun.
http://getoffourisland.com/

crooks
you know who built the roadways, buildings and bridges? us italians.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
you know who built the roadways, buildings and bridges? us italians.

Damn right.

crooks

Old 04-04-2009, 12:37 PM

15 posts, read 56,466 times
The Village of Massapequa Park is nice - make sure you dont go too far north or you will be in Farmingdale Schools. Stay West of Carman Mill Road and up to RT 107. Depends on what price level you are looking at. Unqua Gardens is nice if you are north of Merrick Road, and Nassau Shores is beautiful south of Merrick Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island