Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,193 times

Advertisements

My wife is pregnant too. We are going with Winthrop. They have a wonderful delivery area and each delivery room is private. My sister had my neice there. Nice place.

The post birth rooms are shared unless you pay an extra couple hundred, but that is normal in any hospital I know. Frankly, if it's a normal birth, you are only there for less than 24 hours after, so it's not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 91,179 times
My daughter was born 2 weeks ago and the room prior to the delivery room was also private. once she went into labor they moved into a huge private delivery room. As mentioned above, you can pay a few hundred extra for a private room (if available) but we had gone to the hospital in the early morning and were there a total of 50 hours. The woman sharing the room with my wife came in around 11pm the same day and had the leave at the same time. On the "second" day they had a class for an hour on topics like diapering, bathing and feeding the baby. This was pretty nice. All in all a very pleasant experience.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
North Shore University on Community drive is by far the best IMO. They have an excellent NICU and are well known for their quality care. Private rooms are limited in all LI hospitals though and are on a first come first serve basis, and are an additional cost. But if you can get one they are well worth it IMO.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM

198 posts, read 779,373 times
yes i meant private post delivery not during- my mistake.

I just had a baby six months ago at Maimondes. We still live in brooklyn, but i am to attend SB in the spring and we will move sometime during spring break.

I am from San Diego - only moved a year ago and Maimondes was the WORST hospital i could have ever imagined, It just looked crappy. Everything went well but that is not where i want to be.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,575 times
I delivered at Good Sam in February... would return again loved my Docs too Drs Leo and Leo on Deer Pk Ave in N babylon

CONGRATS to you both

Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times
Doesn't your choice of hospital depend on which one(s) your chosen obstetrician is affiliated with?

I'm way past the relevant age but when I was in my 30s and several of my friends were having babies (in the 1980s) they went to either Good Samaritan in West Islip or Southside in Bay Shore. Reviews were mixed on Good Sam, some liked it but just as many were very unhappy. My friend Dorothy had her baby on a busy summer weekend and she said there were women on beds in the HALLWAYS because the OB ward was so overcrowded!

Everyone I know who used Southside was happy with it.

Also keep in mind that a Catholic hospital will not do tubal ligations (or at least didn't used to) so if your plans include having that done right after a delivery, you'll have to deliver at a non-Catholic hospital (or deliver at a Catholic one and then go to another hospital at a later date for the tubal).

Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM

198 posts, read 779,373 times
This is true that usually you do deliver where you doctor is affiliated, but i do not like the doctor i had last delivery so that doesnt matter as i am just going to get a new one.

So many different answers. I sort of was hoping one hospital would really stick out.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM

185 posts, read 1,215,877 times
I really had a positive experience with my OB GYN for both of my children. Dr. Cohen is located in Little Neck and Woodbury. He is affiliated with LIJ in New Hyde Park---great hospital. Would highly recommend both dr. and facility.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
This is true that usually you do deliver where you doctor is affiliated, but i do not like the doctor i had last delivery so that doesnt matter as i am just going to get a new one.

So many different answers. I sort of was hoping one hospital would really stick out.
My suggestion would be to keep your focus on finding the best doctor that you can, and are comfortable with. There (as clearly indicated) are many very good hospitals on the Island for giving birth. IMO the doctor remains the most important piece of the puzzle, after all it's not like your shopping for a luxury hotel. What, I think, your really shopping for is expert medical personnel who can educate you and keep you comfortable throughout the process and be available promptly with the proper expertise and/or equipment if needed.

Sorry I can't really recommend anyone. My wife and I are the blessed parents of 2 "*#$%*&" wonderful teenagers, so it's been a while since we've looked into this subject.

If you're curious, our first was born at North Shore Manhasset (pre-merger) and we didn't like the doctor very much, although the hospital was very good. The 2nd was with a doctor that we were both much more comfortable with and that led to an excellent experience with Good Sam. I don't think he's still practicing though.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
yes i meant private post delivery not during- my mistake.

I just had a baby six months ago at Maimondes. We still live in brooklyn, but i am to attend SB in the spring and we will move sometime during spring break.

I am from San Diego - only moved a year ago and Maimondes was the WORST hospital i could have ever imagined, It just looked crappy. Everything went well but that is not where i want to be.

Maimomides is DISGUSTING. I have been there and it's horrible. North Shore University hospital on Community drive is like a country club, esp the private rooms, compared to Maimomides. After all, J-lo did deliver there. Excellent care there and just simply wonderful !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island