Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 30,175 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year!

Just looking for some feedback or thoughts from those who may be able to share. I am relocating to Franklin Square from Dallas, Texas. I grew up in Minneapolis/St. Paul and after graduating, lived all over the country for my job, building a collection of some pretty great memories.

The love of my life is from Brooklyn but after a relatively short job transfer to St. Paul, returned to her home in Franklin Square. We have discussed where we will live, but relocating there seems to be a no brainer because her immediate and extended family are still there and she is very close to them. My parents died young and as I don't have a close group of extended family as she does, it just makes sense.

On one hand, what can beat New York for someone who loves different experiences and enjoying things like historic sites, live music, the ocean, museums and many other things? On the other hand, from the majority of the posts here, it seems 'back breaking' expensive and full of other negatives. Seems a lot of people can't wait to leave, and fast.

In Dallas for example, there is so much to do, the weather is decent year round (relatively speaking), and the cost of living is ridiculously cheap. A $600,000.00 home in Franklin Square goes for about $150,000.00 in Dallas if not less. For $400,000.00 in Dallas, you get a huge Mediterranean Villa. For $180,000.00, you'll get a large 4 bedroom brick home with castle turrets. And the taxes are insignificant, hardly noticeable along with the general cost of living. Say what you will about Texas (and I have), but there is something admirable about a state that flies it's flag at the same height as the American flag while asking the federal government to keep the petty stuff out, making sure Texans have a quality of life not really enjoyed by the rest of the country.

I know, I know, I have to make a choice and I will. But if it's as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, maybe I should work on making Dallas (or another city) our home? Is it that bad there with taxes, places to steer clear of, dirty living conditions, cost of living, etc?

Again, Happy New Year everyone.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:53 PM

518 posts, read 1,815,153 times
u can see the taxes for every home for sale if you go on mlsli.com

for a large house in nassau county, id say expect it to be $7500+ a year, EASY

Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM

7,885 posts, read 9,080,400 times
In order to be happy on LI, you need to stop comparing the cost of real estate and taxes to Texas. LI loses the comparison. It is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. Comparing it will drive you nuts, because really, outside of being near family there is no logical reason to pay the outageous amount of money needed to live here.

So you need to constantly remind yourself that:
You're moving to be closer to her family. That is THE benefit of the move. THat is what you need to focus on. Hope you get along well with her family, because if you don't you'll be kicking yourself daily.

Franklin Square is an average working class area. Easy commute to NYC and just over the border from Queens. Mostly Italian with a lot of families living near each other. Basically its "Queens East". Lots of Pizzarias/Italian restaurants and a few good delis. Also has a good German restaurant (Plattdeutsche) which has an outdoor beer garden Friday nites during the summer Nassau Coliseum (NY Islanders hockey) is 10 minutes away, Belmont racetrack is 5 minutes away.

I live in FS and would NEVER pay 600K to live here no matter how new the house is. The neighborhood won't support that price. If you have that much money, do yourself a favor and look at some Garden City sections just north of Franklin Square near St. Anne's church. Much better neighborhood, and you'll be buying the cheapest house in the best neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM

486 posts, read 2,106,912 times
Have you ever been to Franklin Square? If not, take a weekend trip to see what the place looks like before you make your final decision.

Besides house and tax prices, it's really a big enviromental change. I would imagine where you are it's spread out and you need to drive to and from...where in FS everyone is on top of each other. IMO.

I use to live in south Florida, moved to Brooklyn, then Flushing Queens, and now I am in Merrick for the last 10 years. Although I love Long Island, I do miss the palm trees, the great weather year round and the privacy between homes. I haven't been back in ages, I guess things may have changed. But the memories are still there and I long to go back.
My son has 4 more years of high school....till then, I will dream on.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,575,389 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_Templar View Post
I am relocating to Franklin Square from Dallas, Texas.

You should be aware that there are places in the Hamlet of Franklin Square (1,837 acres) that have other than a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address (1,555 acres), as well as some places that have a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square:

Franklin Square is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Franklin Square in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Stewart Manor, the Village of Garden City and the Hamlet of South Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of South Garden City and the Hamlet of West Hempstead; on the south by the Village of Malverne and the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Elmont.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Franklin-square-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Franklin Square has a different border than does the "Franklin Square, NY 11010" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address and not be in Franklin Square and a place can be in the Hamlet of Franklin Square and have other than a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address): places with a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Franklin Square are in the Village of Stewart Manor; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Franklin Square that have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Elmont, NY 11003" and "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,500,060 times
We are considering a move to Texas too (the Houston area).

I don't want to buy a house on LI at this point. LIPA said in 5 years their charges will raise 25%. The taxes and home prices are back breaking and the home values are dropping like crazy.

In Texas, for the same amount of money I'd spend here we could live in a beautiful neighborhood with the best schools. We could afford to go one vacations more. And p.s., Texas has no state income tax!!!

And as far as I can tell, life doesn't end outside of New York. There are plenty of great things to do in other cities, it is not the end all be all.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Stephm - When considering your move to Texas, did you already line up a job or is it easy to find one there?

I would be afraid to make a move because of not having a job lined up.
Just curious as to what you plan on doing. I have a friend that moved out there a few years back, but he had money and didn't have to worry.
BTW, he and his family love it there! Big change from Queens.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 PM

745 posts, read 1,500,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Stephm - When considering your move to Texas, did you already line up a job or is it easy to find one there?
DH has had several job offers already. He has a highly sought after health care position. And as far as jobs go, from reading the Houston forums it seems that it is very easy to find one. I was a teacher before I became a SAHM, so there would be a huge pay cut for me but if we move I don't have to work.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Thank you for your input.
I hope it works out for you both!
It sounds like a wonderful place to be...and not to work makes it even better. You could do so much with your time.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island