Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times

Advertisements

Walter, you're so great with your maps, what can you tell me/us about this "area"? What is it, a Hamlet?
I know it's part of "Huntington Station", at least I believe that's the accurate term, but any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Walter, you're so great with your maps, what can you tell me/us about this "area"? What is it, a Hamlet?
I know it's part of "Huntington Station", at least I believe that's the accurate term, but any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Elke, if it is in Huntington Station, then it would be a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Huntington Station.

The map of the Hamlet of Huntington Station, Town of Huntington:

The Hamlet of Huntington Station has a different border than does the "Huntington Station, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station and a place can have other than a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station): places that have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington Station are in the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of South Huntington, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington Station with a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Elke, if it is in Huntington Station, then it would be a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Huntington Station.

The map of the Hamlet of Huntington Station, Town of Huntington:

The Hamlet of Huntington Station has a different border than does the "Huntington Station, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station and a place can have other than a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station): places that have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington Station are in the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of South Huntington, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington Station with a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.
Thank you, Walter, I appreciate your expert input.
Yes, it is in Huntington Station, just North of the Maplewood Section (or an extension thereof), another "neighborhood" in Huntington Station.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thank you, Walter, I appreciate your expert input.

You're welcome, Elke.

Currently, there are 4 villages (municipal corporations) and 15 hamlets (unincorporated areas) all or partly in the Town of Huntington.

These 19 communities are (if a village, year of incorporation):

Asharoken (1925)
Centerport
Cold Spring Harbor
Commack, part
Dix Hills
East Northport
Eatons Neck
Elwood
Fort Salonga, part
Greenlawn
Halesite
Huntington
Huntington Bay (1924)
Huntington Station
Lloyd Harbor (1926)
Melville
Northport (1894)
South Huntington
West Hills

part = indicates a village or hamlet that straddles town boundaries.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 AM

104 posts, read 172,092 times
Default Huntington Manor Delineated

Huntington Manor is quite an elusive area. Many only identify this area with the local Fire Department, confuse it with an area east of Depot Road (north of Maplewood) or dissociate it with the Manor Plains area although it has been clearly indicated for years and continues to be included in even the most recent Hagstrom Suffolk County atlases. Although not an official Hamlet or distinct Village, this area does in fact exists within both Huntington (11743) and Huntington Station (11746). Recognized as a neighborhood by both Prudential Realty and Daniel Gale Real Estate agencies, this area is even included as a Distribution Area by the Suffolk County Water Authority in it's annual Drinking Water Quality Report and receives its own data. See:

http://www.scwa.com/SCWA_AWQR.pdf (broken link)

and is delineated as: Huntington (Huntington Manor)
N. or W. of: North St., Columbia St., Tower St.; W. or S. of New York Ave.
(Near Holdsworth Dr.), S. of, but including; Semon, Pine, Soundview, and
Walnut Rds.; E. of Hawkshurst and Woodchuck Hollow Rds.

Attached Thumbnails
Huntington Manor-hunting-manor-boundaries.jpg  

Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
People in HUntington Station have been trying to change the name to Huntington Manor since I was in junior high, back when we called it "junior high" instead of "middle school" (and I went to the long defunct Toaz Junior High in what is still Huntington Station). It just never took. It's kind of like the people in West Hempstead who want to officially change the name of the town to Cathedral Gardens.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM

104 posts, read 172,092 times
I've found after in the 20 years in the RE business that H.S. has to be looked at on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis rather than a sum of the whole. There are many neighborhoods in H.S. that are more desirable than others in Huntington proper, but the 11743 zip will always get the premium in a resale. So a savvy buyer might want to look closely at some of those better H.S. neighborhoods (like the so called Huntington Manor, whether it officially exists or not) to get the most value in today's market if they plan on staying in the home for a while. If other people are embarrassed of where they live to the point of wanting to change its name, it might be time for them to start looking to move.

Go Jets! ; )

Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Coe View Post
Huntington Manor is quite an elusive area.

Frank Coe, from map and the the streets you provided, according to the Census Bureau's online address search function, it would appear that Huntington Manor is a neighborhood partly in the Hamlet of Huntington Station, partly in the Hamlet of Huntington and partly in the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.

N. or W. of:
North Street = Hamlet of Huntington Station
Columbia Street = Hamlet of Huntington Station
Tower Street = Hamlet of Huntington Station

W. or S. of:
New York Avenue = Hamlet of Huntington ("Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address)

S. of, but including:
Semon Road = Hamlet of Huntington
Pine Road = Hamlet of Huntington Station
Soundview Road = Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address)
Walnut Place = Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address)

E. of:
Hawkshurst Road = indeterminate
Woodchuck Hollow Road = Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor

Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Frank Coe, any connection to the Robert Coe (born in Suffolkshire, England, in 1596), one of the founders of the Town of Hempstead, the Town of Newtown and the Town of Jamaica in Queens County (before there was a Queens County)?

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 10-03-2009 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
Huntington Manor Fire District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island