Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times

Advertisements

I have noticed despite the north winds today, and the thunderstorms we had on Thursday, they are still flying quite LOW over central Nassau. Greenvale was getting it bad this afternoon, and we're getting pounded right now here in Westbury. One of the planes was so low you could read the airline name on the tail.
The shocking thing is that they were flying planes over central Nassau in the other video right through a severe thunderstorm. I guess they aren't going to change the routing until something goes horribly wrong.

YouTube - Jet Noise City: Greenvale,NY

Thunderstorm view from Roosevelt Field

YouTube - Thunderstorms rake Long Island Thursday 7/2/09 Part.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times
The routing is not going to change for at least the next few years. Ear plugs are a wise addition.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
Actually JFK winds were SSW (210 deg) after about 11:30am (sea breeze). They were probably using 04L for take offs and 22R for landings...just a guess though.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Actually JFK winds were SSW (210 deg) after about 11:30am (sea breeze). They were probably using 04L for take offs and 22R for landings...just a guess though.
Sea breezes are quite shallow though. The plane could have N winds 500 feet up and S winds on the runway.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Where in Greenvale is this, john ?
I grew up in Roslyn Harbor which is right next to Greenvale, but it looks so different now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,671 times
Yeah, July 4th weekend was pretty bad.

I've actually made some progress in this. I've been talking to a Senior Engineer at Port Authority. He's been quite helpful in explaining a lot of this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of questions he can't answer and we get the ol' "It's up to the FAA response."

The key excuses I'm getting are:

1. Southerly winds--safety is cited and the need for head winds on landing. The engineer admitted though that this is only part of the story.

2. The need for a 3 degree angle of descent. Bigger planes can request to fly lower because of their weight and the FAA usually allows this. Again safety is cited although the engineer admitted to me that this exagerated. They fly pretty low for a long time over Nassau.

3. The biggest excuse given to me was that the FAA has to coordinate air traffic with all 3 major airports in mind. This of course is true, but lends itself to such a complex answer that it is hard to fact check these guys. Clearly LGA airspace won't be very compromised if we have more ocean arrivals or if we try to mitigate noise by using more varied approaches over the Island.

Basically, there seem to be 3 main approaches:

ILS, RNAV, VOR, and the Belmont Visual. The problem is that some of these procedures overlap each other meaning that specific neighborhoods bear the great brunt of the noise pollution.

I don't see a lot of hope for changing these paths without Congressional support. We have to really get McCarthy going on this.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Where in Greenvale is this, john ?
I grew up in Roslyn Harbor which is right next to Greenvale, but it looks so different now.
Near Glen Cove Rd and 25A

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Winds are North at JFK now, as they have been all day, but guess what, the noise is TERRIBLE tonight. The wind excuse is total BS. Whining jet engines every 2 minutes.
Landing in a tailwind and flying low over heavily populated central Nassau....safety sure is a priority aint it?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Near Glen Cove Rd and 25A

I never would have recognized that at all. Well, it's been nearly 35 years since my parents sold that house .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
I live in northwest Levittown now, and I don't think the plane noise is all that bad. Maybe it's because when I was a little kid I lived in Queens where the jets were very close to the ground. I also just moved from an area in Queens where I was just 10 blocks from the airport. I hardly got the noise, but when it was stormy, it was incredibly loud with the departures being right there. So this really isn't a big deal to me. But I do feel bad for those people who are annoyed by this and not used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island