U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 04:23 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,619,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good point

Theres no curbs and sidewalks in Sound Beach (there are some in Miller Place and Rocky Point...Selden/Centereach too)if youre looking for that.
Just better schools and lower taxes than Comsewogue.
Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Not sure what happend, maybe due to the large illegal population but the schools have really tanked over the last 20 years.
They used to be ok ..now theyre in the basement.

Crooks
According to Greatschools.net the entire Comsewogue SD student body is only 16% Hispanic/Latino and 4% ESL overall....so your theory is probably not accurate, unless you were referring to European or Asian illegal immigrants who spoke English fluently (yet inexplicably tested poorly).

Academically speaking, Comsewogue ranks in the middle of the road for Suffolk County - similar to many Town of Brookhaven districts. The Newsday list linked above is ranked according to % of students graduating with an Advanced Designation Regents diploma....not a very definitive stat, IMO.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
According to Greatschools.net the entire Comsewogue SD student body is only 16% Hispanic/Latino and 4% ESL overall....so your theory is probably not accurate, unless you were referring to European or Asian illegal immigrants who spoke English fluently (yet inexplicably tested poorly).

Academically speaking, Comsewogue ranks in the middle of the road for Suffolk County - similar to many Town of Brookhaven districts. The Newsday list linked above is ranked according to % of students graduating with an Advanced Designation Regents diploma....not a very definitive stat, IMO.
I just went by the Newsday ranker on grad rates Sean, but having lived in Brookhaven for a very long time, Comsewogue has really lost its draw.

Again my theory is nothing more.
All I cant tell you is the schools aint what they used to be and the only thing different is the Demographic.

Per the Newsday list(AP or otherwise)....theyre south of Floyd and Pat Med and halfway to Roosevelt.

To each his own.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 09-07-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 02:29 PM

229 posts, read 739,871 times
Has anyone on this thread been to a war zone or even a remotely bad neighborhood. Port Jefferson Station. Give me a break. Sure their are some graffiti but to call it gang infested or a war zone is just ridiculous. Look at your own pictures theirs two guys standing right in front of the grafitti with out a care in the world. They dont look like gang members.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,619,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I just went by the Newsday ranker on grad rates Sean, but having lived in Brookhaven for a very long time, Comsewogue has really lost its draw.

Again my theory is nothing more.
All I cant tell you is the schools aint what they used to be and the only thing different is the Demographic.

Per the Newsday list(AP or otherwise)....theyre south of Floyd and Pat Med and halfway to Roosevelt.

To each his own.

Crooks
That Newsday list doesn't go by graduation rates. It is ranked in order according to % of students graduating with an Honors Regents diploma. The other 3 categories listed are % of students graduating with Regents diplomas and % of seniors planning on attending 2 and 4 year universities.

An Honors Regents diploma doesn't require scoring any higher on the exams or receiving any more credits, so I don't think it's a great criteria. For that matter, I don't think regular Regents/graduation rate tells you all that much either.

Going by the ranking method on PSK12.com this is where Comsewogue HS falls in relation to other Town of Brookhaven districts ('06-'07 school year):

Ward Melville HS............................191.2*
Port Jefferson HS...........................173.0
Mount Sinai HS..............................168.9
Bayport-Blue Point HS.....................161.6*
Eastport-South Manor HS................142.7
Shoreham-Wading River HS..............136.5
Miller Place HS...............................126.3
Rocky Point HS..............................121.6
Center Moriches HS........................121.3
Sachem HS East............................117.8*
Comsewogue HS..........................116.8
Patchogue-Medford HS....................111.2
Sachem HS North...........................109.1*
Longwood HS................................103.2
Newfield HS....................................99.7
Riverhead HS..................................90.0*
Centereach HS................................82.7
William Floyd HS..............................82.4
Bellport HS.....................................73.5

*=District only partially located in Town of Brookhaven

I really don't know anything about this district and I'm not trying to claim those test scores are any good either - just saying that they're pretty much on par with everything else in Brookhaven. I don't get how the demographics have shifted all that much at this district either.....I do know a little bit about the area and know that there has been at least some kind of Hispanic population there for at least 15 years. The entire district is still 80% white....so were talking like what, a 5-10% increase in Hispanic students over the better part of two decades? Only on Long Island would this somehow be cause for alarm.

FWIW, PSK12.com also shows a marked improvement in academics over the last 7 years at this high school.

Was Comsewogue ever really some top-tier desirable district anyway? I somehow seriously doubt that....from where I'm sitting PJS/Terryville seems like the kind of place that has always been the spitting image of mediocrity.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM

2,387 posts, read 3,532,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Was Comsewogue ever really some top-tier desirable district anyway? I somehow seriously doubt that....from where I'm sitting PJS/Terryville seems like the kind of place that has always been the spitting image of mediocrity.

This is so true, you have to realize crooks thinks SB is the best place on earth. While i appreciate his loyalty to his neighborhood, he needs to realize everyone has their own opinion and thoughts about their neighborhood. The SD for both towns are about the same, give or take.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM

264 posts, read 794,848 times
C'mon! Huntington Station isn't so bad- there are many worse places to be on Long Island.
I graduated from Walt Whitman and found it to be a good place to live.
Sure, there's graffiti and there are gangs- but it isn't really much of a nuisance if you don't want to get involved.
Huntington Station isn't the Bronx.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,057 times
port jeff station a war zone? then whats parts of the bronx, harlem ect.... lol i live in pjs. yes the people here are tougher than other neighborhoods but its prob cuz most are originally from nyc haha. no murders, no larceny, few to no robberies and burglary, 85% white , boarders setauket, mt sinai, and port jeff. yea real warzone

Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I believe that is considered "Terryville". Once you make your way south of Rt.347 it improves. But between 347 and North Country along Rt.112 it is real ghetto.

I'm starting to see alot of parallels between Huntington and Port Jeff. They have "hip" villages but the areas around the train station are becoming real ghettos.
There are always creepy ppl walking around there too, and of course lots of illegals.
It seems Port Jeff only cares about the waterfront area, and no signs of revitilization in the Station area.
It could be improved by getting rid of those bodegas, fixing up that ghetto strip mall at Chereb Lane, and razing the abandoned buildings for plazas or resteruants.
how does getting rid of bodegas going to make it safe??? then take away thrift shops so their will be less crazy homeless people around, take away atm machines so there is less chance of robbery's n take away gas stations and smoke shops less cancer... how do you sound.... i hope you do understand these "illegals" aren't doing anything but working... the Americans are the ones doing the crimes because they aren't here by choice and are too lazy to work and don't need to worry about anything because they will be released 2 days later, the "illegals" do less harm then the Caucasians in port Jefferson station.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 AM

99 posts, read 249,394 times
Again this is nuts. I went to comsewogue schools, they were excellent. You guys are really hyperactive here, the moment there are some non white people around, everyone panics. Graffiti?! Ok, someone tags up an abandoned building by the tracks and suddenly this is south central. Come on now, close the gates on your gated community we are under siege. I live in PJ village and despite the 1 homeless person down here that has never bothered anyone at all, it is excellent. As for near the tracks... Yeah it is dominican, but again they are not a problem at all. They actually add some flavor to the area.

This forum is crazy with everyone's anecdotal measurement of an area's worth based on... well I don't even know what you base it on. Saying w-section coram is a crappy area due to the fact that it shares a zip code with a legitimately crappy area 4 miles away is stupid, and that happens here. Also PJS gets branded as the hood based on a 1/10th of a mile strip of 112 that is not as sightly as the wannabe gated community dwellers here like. The fact is that different people live differently, and that does not imply an area is unsafe to live or not good to live in. I personally would not want to live in a 100% white area with everyone's homes looking all the same like these new gated communities where you cant even change your mailbox.

There are very few bad places to live on LI, and there are probably 5-6 xenophobic posters here that make us all look bad.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 AM

99 posts, read 249,394 times
And lets close down the thrift store, get rid of the bus stop, and instead open another CVS, and encourage more car use. Because that is what we love here, more chain corporate places and more cars, and less working class ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island