U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM

2,940 posts, read 7,726,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My in-laws live in Port Jefferson Station--right on the border of Selden. It looks like a nice area. I don't know why people say it isn't that nice?

I believe that is considered "Terryville". Once you make your way south of Rt.347 it improves. But between 347 and North Country along Rt.112 it is real ghetto.

I'm starting to see alot of parallels between Huntington and Port Jeff. They have "hip" villages but the areas around the train station are becoming real ghettos.
There are always creepy ppl walking around there too, and of course lots of illegals.
It seems Port Jeff only cares about the waterfront area, and no signs of revitilization in the Station area.
It could be improved by getting rid of those bodegas, fixing up that ghetto strip mall at Chereb Lane, and razing the abandoned buildings for plazas or resteruants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Huntington Station, Port Jefferson Station, anyone else see a pattern?

Are towns with train stations more prone to this sort of decline?
Well Babylon has a train station, so does Sayville, and Smithtown, Kings Park,etc and they aren't seeing problems, in fact they are spectacular downtowns (Babylon and Sayville being my favorite). Even Patchogue is looking better. I blame it on poor village/town govt. Port Jeff hasn't done any revitilization of the area. They haven't cracked down on all the illegal rentals. You have alot of bodegas and illegal apartments in the area, a recipe for a ghetto IMO.
Even the area around the station here in Westbury looks a lot better than it used to, because at least they put in those new condo buildings and re-did the streetscape, but Huntington and PJ have completely neglected those areas, and just view them as "dumping grounds" for the sex offenders and illegals.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Looks like the "ghetto culture" of the City has finally made its way out to Long Island. There definitely has been a marked increase in graffiti in many parts of the Island.

Rule of thumb: if tyhe grafitti is at all readable, legible and with correct spelling then it was probably done by wannabe suburban White Teens.

If the grafitti makes no sense, most tags don't, then you may have some real gangstas in the 'hood about.
I remember seeing alot of grafitti in the 80s on LI, it isn't that bad yet, but in some areas there is an increase in grafitti, mainly in Port Jeff station and Hicksville.
It appears those PJ tags are MS-13 and Surenos, two gangs you can thank our lax borders for. MS-13 will usually say "MSONE" and Surenos usually starts with "SUR". Sounds like Huntington Station and Port Jeff station have alot more in common with eachother now.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,413,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I believe that is considered "Terryville". Once you make your way south of Rt.347 it improves.

Yeah, that's where they live. It isn't all that far from Jericho.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 PM

240 posts, read 982,501 times
Quote:
Huntington and PJ have completely neglected those areas, and just view them as "dumping grounds" for the sex offenders and illegals.
The problem is that the area around the tracks is outside of the Port Jefferson Village borders, which I think is North Country Road.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM

556 posts, read 1,358,593 times
John,

Stop with the sensationalism! Other than that, my one comment will be, Go to that barbershop(nunez?) and a barbershop here in the Bx...same.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM

263 posts, read 869,861 times
Quote:
I believe that is considered "Terryville". Once you make your way south of Rt.347 it improves. But between 347 and North Country along Rt.112 it is real ghetto.
lol no it's not

Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 AM

So you think extensive grafitti is a sign of a good neighborhood?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 AM

19,914 posts, read 17,082,938 times
Quote:
So you think extensive grafitti is a sign of a good neighborhood?
It doesn't mean its a ghetto either. The crime rates in the area is still quite low.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 AM

4,502 posts, read 12,698,586 times
Quote:
Looks like the "ghetto culture" of the City has finally made its way out to Long Island. There definitely has been a marked increase in graffiti in many parts of the Island.

Rule of thumb: if tyhe grafitti is at all readable, legible and with correct spelling then it was probably done by wannabe suburban White Teens.

If the grafitti makes no sense, most tags don't, then you may have some real gangstas in the 'hood about.
And where have you been for the past 10 or so years??? This is NOTHING new.... it's just getting worse and heading further east.

Don't believe your "Rule of Thumb"..... the white suburban wannabes are just as ignorant as their "gangsta" counterparts and their spelling, writing, etc is no better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island