U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 AM

12,701 posts, read 14,931,200 times

Advertisements

That little area was known as "Little Santa Domingo" by the locals for years due to the high number of Dominican immigrants..both legal and illegal" that seemed to concentrate there, and the number of drug dealers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,482,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It doesn't mean its a ghetto either. The crime rates in the area is still quite low.

Lets not BS ourselves ...that area of Port Jeffferson has been heinous for years (no its not Port Jefferson Station)and getting progressively worse.

Theres no shortage of money and politicians in Port Jeff.
Shame on them for letting it get so bad so quickly.

crooks

Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 11,277,783 times
To be honest I was going to buy in Port Jeff Stattion till I seen the area around 112 and the RR. My friends that live in PJS are all really concerend about the migration south from that area. Will it stop or move into their neighbor hood? Guess time will tell.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To be honest I was going to buy in Port Jeff Stattion till I seen the area around 112 and the RR. My friends that live in PJS are all really concerend about the migration south from that area. Will it stop or move into their neighbor hood? Guess time will tell.

Again the area by the rail is Port Jeff and not Port Jeff Station.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 PM

5,511 posts, read 11,277,783 times
Im aware its Port Jeff proper. But the area's just south in PJS are becoming a similiar eye sore too.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Im aware its Port Jeff proper. But the area's just south in PJS are becoming a similiar eye sore too.

No doubt about it.

At least Port Jeff has great schools to help offset the bodegas and the homeless.

Port Jeff Station is rough and has very little upside.

You want to see some really colorful "locals" head up to Pathmark on a Friday night for the freak parade.

I looked their briefly....very briefly.

crooks

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:

These are the people in your neighborhood.

Local legend....Johnny Finger
Attached Thumbnails
Port Jefferson Station looks like a war zone-fn.jpg  

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM

25 posts, read 98,629 times
I live In PJS, in the neighborhood that is behind Port Jeff Bowl, etc. Our block is very nice, very quiet and we have never had any issues. I really like the elementary school my son attends also and the services he receives are outstanding (autism spectrum). Now that area you are speaking of is so close to us. I really wish they would clean it up! I just noticed the other day the building next to Carvel has broken windows and homeless folks hanging around it. Fortunately they don't hang out my way, but it's still an eyesore!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerday76 View Post
I live In PJS, in the neighborhood that is behind Port Jeff Bowl, etc. Our block is very nice, very quiet and we have never had any issues. I really like the elementary school my son attends also and the services he receives are outstanding (autism spectrum). Now that area you are speaking of is so close to us. I really wish they would clean it up! I just noticed the other day the building next to Carvel has broken windows and homeless folks hanging around it. Fortunately they don't hang out my way, but it's still an eyesore!
Charm City/Norwoods not bad at all

crooks

Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,622,059 times
Aren't there billions of places in Suffolk that look exactly like this? It's just dumpy, not terrifying. To me, that picture looks like it could've been taken anywhere between Port Jeff and Patchogue along Route 112.

Ugly graffiti as opposed to slightly more visually stimulating works does not dictate the difference between white kids and hispanic gang members. I'm speaking in broader terms, not of this area specifically....just saying. Also, I know most people use things like "KREZ" "SEL-SWK" "ESSY516" etc. as tags, proper spelling/grammer is not the intent haha.

Totally O/T but has anyone ever seen the "PUBES" tag? I've seen it everywhere from Albany to Brooklyn and it cracks me up every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island