U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM

366 posts, read 987,601 times

Advertisements

I live in East Meadow. I commute via the LIRR to the Nostrand Ave station in Brooklyn. Parking is plentiful and free at the Bellmore and Merrick stations. As far as the community is concerned, the only change in demographics I see is an influx of Punjab Indians to the neighborhood. My only complaint with them (and I am speaking from the experience of what I see) is that there are usually two families occupying a single family home. Other than that, they are neat and keep their property well and are generally good neighbors. The Barnum Woods area is reputed to have the best school in the E.M. School District. Barnum Woods is an elementary school. The children of families that reside in the "Barnum Woods" section go to the same Middle and High School as everyone else's children. Families in "Barnum Woods" generally have the same size property as everyone else in E.M., but they pay a lot more property taxes. Why? I don't know. Property values for the rest of East Meadow are averaging @ $400K. Most East Meadow homes have basements. The exception is the Taylor style homes that border Levittown, along the Wantagh Pkwy. The most common home in E.M. is the Cape Cod, and 99% of them have basements and over half of them have been dormered or extended to some extent. Many of East Meadow residents are NYC, Nassau or Suffolk Police Officers, NYC Firefighters or work for the Nassau Sheriff at the jail. Some basements in E.M. do leak. Mostly this is due to poor fill and grading of the property when the homes were built. East Meadow has been good to us, for the most part. There is a fantastic baseball and softball program here and the athletic complex is second to none. This complex is all run by volunteers and the actual property is owned by the Town of Hempstead. This complex is so well designed that other Little League programs from around the country have come here to study the design and many leagues from around the region pay a fee to use the fields. East Meadow has no independent government. The Town of Hempstead is our government and is responsible for road upkeep, trash removal, and general maintenance of the parks. I hope this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,449,131 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Meadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
I live in East Meadow. East Meadow has no independent government. The Town of Hempstead is our government ...

Yes, as is the case with all hamlets that are governed at-large by the town(s) they are in, East Meadow is governed at-large by the Town of Hempstead.

For those who may not be familiar with East Meadow:

East Meadow is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Meadow in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Salisbury and the Hamlet of Levittown; on the south by the Hamlet of North Bellmore and the Hamlet of North Merrick; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Hamlet of East Garden City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/East-meadow-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of East Meadow has a different border than does the "East Meadow, NY 11554" ZIP Code postal zone (a place can be in the Hamlet of East Meadow and have other than an "East Meadow, NY 11554" mailing address): there are a few places in the Hamlet of East Meadow that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 PM

130 posts, read 536,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
W.T. Clarke High School is in Salisbury ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

This area, too, is in Salisbury ("Levittown, NY 11576" mailing address).

While most of Salisbury has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, a small slice in the east part of the Salisbury have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address. In addition to this "small slice" of Salisbury, there is a small area in the northwest part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the East Meadow Union Free School District.

Salisbury makes up the northern part of the East Meadow Union Free School District, but the confusion over "Westbury" or "Levittown" versus "Salisbury" arises because Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury:

Salisbury is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, where the Town of Hempstead converges with the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line) and the Hamlet of Levittown; and, on the south and west by the Hamlet of East Meadow.

Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Happy New Year, Walter!

I respectfully disagree about living in Salisbury, though...my neighborhood is in that little triangle to the right of Salisbury, where Twig, Bud and Gate Lane are. East Meadow schools, Levittown address, Hicksville water...a little bit of everything!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,449,131 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Levittown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
I respectfully disagree about living in Salisbury, though...my neighborhood is in that little triangle to the right of Salisbury, where Twig, Bud and Gate Lane are. East Meadow schools, Levittown address, Hicksville water...a little bit of everything!

kateb411, it would seem that you missed my comment, " ... (T)here is a small area in the northwest part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the East Meadow Union Free School District.

Twig, Bud and Gate Lane are in that
northwest part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the East Meadow Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Levittown: Levittown is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line); on the south by the Hamlet of North Wantagh; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of Salisbury.

The Hamlet of Levittown has a different border than does the "Levittown, NY 11756" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Levittown and a place can be in the Hamlet of Levittown and have other than a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address): places that have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Levittown are in the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of Salisbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Levittown that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,901 times
I've lived in East Meadow all my life. It's very comparable to New Hyde Park. The schools are great as far as I am concerned. Two of my children, ages 23 and 19, graduated and are now in college. My 19 yr old had a learning disability and they handled it so well. Not only did he get on the scholastic roll in 11 and 12 grade but he's now in college. Someone mentioned to look in Levittown. Not a good idea. I hear the schools there are not so great and the taxes are very high for very small houses. My house is 50 yrs old with no leaks in basement.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,071,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di1785r View Post
I've lived in East Meadow all my life. It's very comparable to New Hyde Park. The schools are great as far as I am concerned. Two of my children, ages 23 and 19, graduated and are now in college. My 19 yr old had a learning disability and they handled it so well. Not only did he get on the scholastic roll in 11 and 12 grade but he's now in college. Someone mentioned to look in Levittown. Not a good idea. I hear the schools there are not so great and the taxes are very high for very small houses. My house is 50 yrs old with no leaks in basement.

Levittown's schools seem like they have very good test scores. It isn't anything like Jericho, but they're good. I went to Smithtown, which was known as one of the top districts in Suffolk county, and Division HS's scores are on par as Smithtown's.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,120,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Levittown's schools seem like they have very good test scores. It isn't anything like Jericho, but they're good. I went to Smithtown, which was known as one of the top districts in Suffolk county, and Division HS's scores are on par as Smithtown's.
Levittown schools are seriously underrated and have improved tremendously in the last 10 years. MacArthur HS consistently posts insanely high test scores, they also had two semi-finalists in the Intel Science Talent Search this year. East Meadow schools seem very good, but I'd recommend either Levittown HS over them.

If schools are your top priority, and your budget is under $400k you simply cannot beat the value in Levittown. The taxes are only slightly higher than surrounding areas, but the homes are also very affordable.

Bethpage is another good pick in that area, lower taxes too.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,071,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Levittown schools are seriously underrated and have improved tremendously in the last 10 years. MacArthur HS consistently posts insanely high test scores, they also had two semi-finalists in the Intel Science Talent Search this year. East Meadow schools seem very good, but I'd recommend either Levittown HS over them.

If schools are your top priority, and your budget is under $400k you simply cannot beat the value in Levittown. The taxes are only slightly higher than surrounding areas, but the homes are also very affordable.

Bethpage is another good pick in that area, lower taxes too.

Yep, that's why we're buying in Levittown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island