U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 60,332 times

Advertisements

I have a neighborhood question... We are looking to buy a house in East Meadow (low 400K range).

• How are the schools in East Meadow ? I hear Barnum woods is good.
  • the property value?I lived in New Hyde Park most of my life and grew up in that quiet neighborhood. Some areas of E.Meadow are a little too commericial or "busy" for me. But i love the big property (average 65X100, sometimes 80X100) instead of the small 40X100s in NHP.
  • How is the neighborhood North of Hempstead Trpk vs South of the turnpike ? We are giving first preference to South of the turnpike, between Newbridge road and Merrick ave, above N. Jerusalem road. The north side has nicer houses and cheaper also (30-40K cheaper) but I worry that its too commerical since its closer to the turnpike.
  • Commute to the city? Hicksville line is close around 3.5miles. But I see carle place, westbury, hemstead?
  • Leaky basements? Is a big concern of mine. I've seen a few houses without basements, but being used to having one, we are only looking at houses with Basements. Anything to look out for?

Last edited by NewMom83; 01-05-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,844,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMom83 View Post
I have a neighborhood question... We are looking to buy a house in East Meadow (low 400K range).
[*]Commute to the city? Hicksville line is close around 3.5miles. But I see carle place, westbury, hemstead?
I can answer part of 1 question for you. If someone is going to drop you off at the LIRR station, you can use Hicksville, BUT if you are expecting to park there, you will not be able to because you cannot get a parking sticker as East Meadow is not part of the Town of Oyster Bay.

Hopefully someone who commutes to NYC via LIRR from East Meadow can let you know which station is the best to use.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM

130 posts, read 533,451 times
I raised my kids here and the schools are fine...not Jericho level, but fine... (my son just graduated NYU). If you go to Barnum Woods Elementary, you go to East Meadow High School. If you go to Meadowbrook Elementary (north of the turnpike), you go to WT Clarke HS. EMHS is across from NC Medical Center and WTC is in a residential area in Westbury. I'm not a realtor, but there's a steal of a house in my neighborhood. Go on the multiple listing service and put in Levittown, East Meadow schools. Three splits will come up in the high $400's, but there's one for $369. It's a mile north of the turnpike off Newbridge Road...Levittown address, but East Meadow schools. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,036,336 times
I used to use Bellmore trains when I lived in East Meadow - I don't know if this is still the case, but you used to be able to park there without a permit. You can also use the Hicksville station, but you'll have to pay between $7 and $9 for a daily permit - which I understand is difficult to get into these days with the closure of the TOB garage.

Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,991,672 times
Not too many basements in East Meadow.....for that money, check out N. Bellmore or North Wantagh.....Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 26,176 times
East Meadow is a ok place too live. if u want to make the right choice choose south of the tpk look in the Barnum Woods area they have the best resale value and usaully have the bigger houses on bigger lots. There are no basement probs in e.meadow there not that close to the beach. Ive gotten into the city from there with my friend in about 45 to 55 minutes

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 29,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMom83 View Post

• How are the schools in East Meadow ? I hear Barnum woods is good.
  • the property value?I lived in New Hyde Park most of my life and grew up in that quiet neighborhood. Some areas of E.Meadow are a little too commericial or "busy" for me. But i love the big property (average 65X100, sometimes 80X100) instead of the small 40X100s in NHP.
  • How is the neighborhood North of Hempstead Trpk vs South of the turnpike ? We are giving first preference to South of the turnpike, between Newbridge road and Merrick ave, above N. Jerusalem road. The north side has nicer houses and cheaper also (30-40K cheaper) but I worry that its too commerical since its closer to the turnpike.
  • Commute to the city? Hicksville line is close around 3.5miles. But I see carle place, westbury, hemstead?
  • Leaky basements? Is a big concern of mine. I've seen a few houses without basements, but being used to having one, we are only looking at houses with Basements. Anything to look out for?

Good commute to the city, but the school and area of East Meadow are on the downslope. I would try to look for a neighborhood on the rise like Levittown.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 AM

10 posts, read 60,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydmac View Post
Good commute to the city, but the school and area of East Meadow are on the downslope. I would try to look for a neighborhood on the rise like Levittown.
Downslope? In house value and schools also? I'm hearing two stories now. I hear that Barnum woods is a sought after school district.

.... confused..

Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 AM

4,539 posts, read 8,152,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydmac View Post
regarding the commute, what station do people from East Meadow commute from? Obviously there are several in the neighboring towns within driving distance, but are non-residents allowed to park legally every day?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 28,288,152 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
If you go to Meadowbrook Elementary (north of the turnpike), you go to WT Clarke HS ... and WTC is in a residential area in Westbury.
W.T. Clarke High School is in Salisbury ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
I'm not a realtor, but there's a steal of a house in my neighborhood. Go on the multiple listing service and put in Levittown, East Meadow schools.
This area, too, is in Salisbury ("Levittown, NY 11576" mailing address).

While most of Salisbury has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, a small slice in the east part of the Salisbury have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address. In addition to this "small slice" of Salisbury, there is a small area in the northwest part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the East Meadow Union Free School District.

Salisbury makes up the northern part of the East Meadow Union Free School District, but the confusion over "Westbury" or "Levittown" versus "Salisbury" arises because Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury:

Salisbury is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, where the Town of Hempstead converges with the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line) and the Hamlet of Levittown; and, on the south and west by the Hamlet of East Meadow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Salisbury-nassau-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island