Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You're using a poll you created with 53 responses as your reference? o.O

Even beyond that - if you ask anyone if they'd prefer to live on or very near the water, what are they going to say? I mean, come on! I could counter with towns that fall south of montauk that you'd do very poorly to buy in and towns south of 25A that would destroy many towns North of it, but it's a largely moot point. Of course, on the whole avg wise, you'd do better along a shore ANYWHERE in the country.

In addition, I don't see how anything in Nassau/Suffolk could be called "urban". I can only guess what you mean because you really don't explain - urban means "city", city means "high population density". So you're saying that the population density of LI is disproportionately higher in the "middle", along the LIE, and this trend is continuing? I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking... Most of the real estate along the LIE is commercial and in most middle towns of middle LI, the density is pretty much maxxed out. I don't know what the "official" number is, but I don't see how there's going to be any significant increase in population density anywhere on LI in the near future... Well, probably out East where there still is land, but not to a point where I would call it "urban".

I dont know if youre new to LI but I dont have the energy to tackle this.
Perhaps someone else may.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Respectfully,

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I dont know if youre new to LI but I dont have the energy to tackle this.
Perhaps someone else may.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Respectfully,

crooks
Born In Southside hospital (Bay Shore), grew up in Islip Terrace... Over the years I've rented or owned in Holbrook, Holtsville, Deer Park, Melville, Central Islip, Oakdale, Sayville, and Farmingville.

Commuted into NYC via LIRR from 1998 -2001. Our offices in WTC were destroyed on 9-11 and then I started commuting into Hoboken to our new office... I'm lucky enough to mostly work from home now.

So I'd like to think that I have some clue about LI... To be clear, I respect your opinion and like a nice debate. On that line I find it improper to those coming to this forum for relocation info to see wide generalizations about a "middle slide" - which seems to be your mantra here. There's countless solid "middle" areas of LI that will slide equal to or much less then many North and South shore areas.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Born In Southside hospital (Bay Shore), grew up in Islip Terrace... Over the years I've rented or owned in Holbrook, Holtsville, Deer Park, Melville, Central Islip, Oakdale, Sayville, and Farmingville.

Commuted into NYC via LIRR from 1998 -2001. Our offices in WTC were destroyed on 9-11 and then I started commuting into Hoboken to our new office... I'm lucky enough to mostly work from home now.

So I'd like to think that I have some clue about LI... To be clear, I respect your opinion and like a nice debate. On that line I find it improper to those coming to this forum for relocation info to see wide generalizations about a "middle slide" - which seems to be your mantra here. There's countless solid "middle" areas of LI that will slide equal to or much less then many North and South shore areas.
I meant no disrespect, but it seemed incredibly naive to espouse that theres an earnest preference for the center of the Island.

We see things differently.

To each his own.

Respectfully,

crooks.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:

Moved from NYC as (a 5 year-old) to Levittown and later Massapequa.

I rented in Islip Terrace (near Barrasso) and found that the area north of IT was not improving then, and 20 years since has become worse, not better.

Holbrook has always been consistently decent.

Holtsville -- no idea either way. Don't know anyone from there, never appealed to me as a place to live.

Deer Park -- old boyfriend lived there 25 years ago -- has slipped over the course of time.

Melville -- seems to have held firm

Central Islip -- no matter what is done to try and improve it, it never seems to.

Farmingville -- Has changed dramatically since I looked at rental homes in that area 25 years ago. It just hasn't been positive change.

Historically, the middle of LI was dominated by farms and the laborers needed to work the fields. It never really caught on with the wealthy back in the 1800's (Vanderbilt, Khan, etc.)when they built their estates along the north and south shores.

The middle of the island was 'affordable' to the working class of the era; when developers started looking eastward, it was affordable to build large tracts to develop and sell to people looking to buy affordable homes. (When Mom and Dad bought in Massapequa, their friends were buying in Huntington Bay. The houses were similar in size, the price tag in Huntington bay was $66K, Massapequa was $44K)

Even if we look at the routes way back when -- 27A, 25A and later the LIRR were the main ways to travel, outside of taking a boat. They catered to where the population was centered -- the more established communities along the north and south shores.

Back when my grandparents were younger, they would hop in the car and drive out to picnic in Wyandanch. Brentwood was MARKETED to the Puerto Ricans -- the sales brochures had pictures of plots of land with little houses and vegetable gardens, chickens in the yard -- essentially trying to sell them what they left behind in PR. We can say, "Hmmmmmmm -- were they steering racial groups?" I digress.

The middle of Long Island has traditionally been more affordable. As older owners retire, downsize or pass away, the new buyers coming in reflect the current demographics and we are seeing a rainbow of new neighbors who may or may not have the same ideas or priorities as to how to maintain a home. In some areas, this has created problems and on the outside it is visible (multi family illegal dwellings, too many cars at one house) When people see things like that, it tends to give an area a more transient look. When people drive through an area which has excessive garbage cans, some tipped and spewing their contents, it adds to the feel that people there just do not care.

Some of the areas you listed sadly have those negative attributes. BUT it's not just in the middle of the island. Please know that I am very aware it can be all around us -- north, south and middle. I merely replied to the communities you listed.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The middle of Long Island has traditionally been more affordable. As older owners retire, downsize or pass away, the new buyers coming in reflect the current demographics and we are seeing a rainbow of new neighbors who may or may not have the same ideas or priorities as to how to maintain a home. In some areas, this has created problems and on the outside it is visible (multi family illegal dwellings, too many cars at one house) When people see things like that, it tends to give an area a more transient look. When people drive through an area which has excessive garbage cans, some tipped and spewing their contents, it adds to the feel that people there just do not care.

Some of the areas you listed sadly have those negative attributes. BUT it's not just in the middle of the island. Please know that I am very aware it can be all around us -- north, south and middle. I merely replied to the communities you listed.
Sorry I seemed to disappear, but I don't get any time to post on the weekends…

I think I misrepresented my list - I didn't intend for it to be a list of "great" middle towns. Hell, I rented in CI, lol … My intention was to show that I've been around and know various areas pretty well.

My general issue is with the middle being 27A to 25A… Under that definition, there's a serious flaw to comparisons. Just about all the "gold" locations on LI will fall North of 25A and South of 27A. There are exceptions, mostly on the south shore. There's also the history of vacation homes where you'll find tiny cottages on steeply graded plots along the north. But, honestly - if you're starting by calling almost all of LI the middle and comparing it to the most extreme shore communities, it's a no brainer that things will "slide" more. I don't mean to disregard your points about history - how things were marketed and developed… It's just too easy to say the "middle will slide v. the top end water front areas".

If the middle is the LIE corridor, which I thought maybe was what crooks meant - then maybe we can begin to fairly compare. There are towns that are very attractive (i.e. Hauppauge, Melville) and where you won't see a slide simply because it's in the middle… but if you compare those towns to Roslyn Harbor and Mastic Beach on both ends of the spectrum - I think you get my drift.

In the end, everything is sliding and people should be making informed decisions comparing apples to apples… You can buy in the middle and do very well. You can also buy in the North or South and see more then average sliding. Generalizations do not do the LI market any justice.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 47,874 times
Thanks For your help.... MOst of you were right. The more I went out there I wasnt too impressed with the selden/ Centereach area. Sooooo I guess I will be starting my search all over again!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem8980 View Post
Thanks For your help.... MOst of you were right. The more I went out there I wasnt too impressed with the selden/ Centereach area. Sooooo I guess I will be starting my search all over again!

Start on the Shores

Then work your way to the middle.

crooks

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem8980 View Post
If you're looking for a good, inexpensive neighborhood, look at Rocky Point/Sound beach, Ridge, Yaphank w/Longwood schools, or Mastic w/South Manor schools.

Patchogue is making a great comeback, its worth looking at.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
If you're looking for a good, inexpensive neighborhood, look at Rocky Point/Sound beach, Ridge, Yaphank w/Longwood schools, or Mastic w/South Manor schools.

Patchogue is making a great comeback, its worth looking at.

Agreed on all.

As far as the schools go....

Rocky Point or Miller Place schools would be my 1st pick.
Pat-Med would be my last.

Theres a good part of the market that wont touch Mastic no matter what the school district is(but South Manor schoold are fine)

crooks.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Pat-Med would be my last.
pat med hs has turned to sh$t in the last few years. my kids go there, and thank god they only have 2 more yrs in the hs. what a piece of crap. my taxes almost doubled in 10yrs, and the school has gotten terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island