Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 196,911 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to long island. I am familiar with the South Shore, mostly out towards the Hamptons, but not as familiar with the North Shore. We need a town that has a community, has reasonable dining options, has kids' activities (school quality not a factor as we homeschool) and hopefully has some Tae Kwon Do as my son has been doing this sport for many years. We need to be within 2 to 2.5 hours of the city as my husband will work there a few days a week. We can pay up to $1500 a month or so in rent.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM

85 posts, read 315,242 times
Almost all towns in Long Island have all the those things you just stated and then some. Everywhere on Long Island is within 2 hrs awway from the city lol.... Just as long as your not in Montauk, unless you have tons of patients for traffic and a lot of money for gas.. I would lean towards nassau county IMO, look into Oceanside, Rockville Center, Long Beach, Island Park, East Meadow.... Fantastic schools and down the block you'll find everything...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

85 posts, read 315,242 times
Also, $1500 a month for rent you should be able to find an average 2 bedroom, shop around though cause sometimes you find some nice places. Usually a part of somebody's house is always the best as far as quality, yet some apartments are nice too! Great time to buy now as well if you can afford it.... Except taxes are going threw the roof yet again, so mabye its not a good time to buy.....

Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryH View Post
We are looking to move to long island. I am familiar with the South Shore, mostly out towards the Hamptons, but not as familiar with the North Shore. We need a town that has a community, has reasonable dining options, has kids' activities (school quality not a factor as we homeschool) and hopefully has some Tae Kwon Do as my son has been doing this sport for many years. We need to be within 2 to 2.5 hours of the city as my husband will work there a few days a week. We can pay up to $1500 a month or so in rent.

Any ideas are appreciated.
I think any of the towns on the north shore from Miller Place to Wading River would. These include My Sinai, Sound Beach, Shoreham and Ridge. You may find the rental options limited if 1500 is your absolute highest however. MLSLI.com had a lot of rental listing and a easy search.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
every thread about moving to LI is the same... everyone is looking for the same things

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM

128 posts, read 323,087 times
Look into Southampton Town: East Quogue area!!
Good Luck

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJackie View Post
Look into Southampton Town: East Quogue area!!
Good Luck
Wouldn't recommend that location if commuting to NYC!!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Try Patchogue. Its right on the railroad, a small village, plenty to do.

d

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 AM

65 posts, read 196,911 times
thanks. we're looking in east quogue. Do you like it there? Commuting is not an issue.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryH View Post
thanks. we're looking in east quogue. Do you like it there? Commuting is not an issue.
E. Quogue as a whole is nice. You might want to find out the flight paths for the local airport; may not mean much in the winter, but in the summer, when you're enjoying the outdoors, it could get to be a pain. Also, if you're too close to the major East/West roads (i.e. Montauk Hwy & Old Country Rd) there is that summer weekend traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island