Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times

Advertisements

For over $1M, they should be nice! Of course, for that money you could have a nice house with a yard and no neighbors on both sides.... even in Woodbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

185 posts, read 1,215,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
For over $1M, they should be nice! Of course, for that money you could have a nice house with a yard and no neighbors on both sides.... even in Woodbury.
I think you have to have to appreciate them for what they are. THere is something to be said about living in such a "community"; to have people around. Certainly, in a single home you are soley responsible for shoveling/snow removal and landscaping for instance... In a "private community" this is taken care of without thought. We reside in a "private community" and enjoy it and like having people around us. For Kids it is great too. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
I really don't care for most of these style of developments on LI, but "The Preserve" (cheesy name) is extremely nice, inside and out. I'm not sure how great the location is for this type of housing, though....a lot of these types of developments are in the North Hills/Manhasset area and seem to do well because they are somewhat convenient for driving into Manhattan. I always picture the target demographic as 30-40 something S-class drivers with no kids who are out of town frequently....I'm not really sure inches from the Suffolk border in Woodbury is quite as appealing. Traffic on the NSP/LIE in that area sucks and it's kind of a hike from Jericho Turnpike.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 AM

It's nice, but I'm not sure it's nice enough for the price. It's got a clubhouse, but that's it for community amenities, as far as I can tell--no pool, tennis, anything like that. I don't think it would be great for kids from what I've seen--no area to play--so it's not really aimed at that market. Sean, it's not a hike from Jericho Tpke--it's ON Jericho. A wall is all that separates you from 50mph traffic. The drive to the NSP or 135 is okay.

Even if you like private communities (which, I admit, I loathe), I'm not sure that there aren't better buys--the only draw of this one is that the units are large but don't have yards, which is a small niche. There are plenty of people on LI who want low-maintenance, but the style of that development has relatively limited appeal. Prices in Windermere across the street, which is a very nice HOA (though I don't know if they do the yard work) are equal to the Preserve and that's detached houses with a lot more privacy.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Out of curiosity, what is the HOA fee in The Preserve? Anyone know?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
It's nice, but I'm not sure it's nice enough for the price. It's got a clubhouse, but that's it for community amenities, as far as I can tell--no pool, tennis, anything like that. I don't think it would be great for kids from what I've seen--no area to play--so it's not really aimed at that market. Sean, it's not a hike from Jericho Tpke--it's ON Jericho. A wall is all that separates you from 50mph traffic. The drive to the NSP or 135 is okay.

Even if you like private communities (which, I admit, I loathe), I'm not sure that there aren't better buys--the only draw of this one is that the units are large but don't have yards, which is a small niche. There are plenty of people on LI who want low-maintenance, but the style of that development has relatively limited appeal. Prices in Windermere across the street, which is a very nice HOA (though I don't know if they do the yard work) are equal to the Preserve and that's detached houses with a lot more privacy.
It's kind of a hike from the parkway/expressway... at least during either rush hour. I worked in that Woodbury Crossgates Park complex for awhile and mornings or nights on Jericho Turnpike suuuucked. Mercedes-Benz SUV demolition derby....every day. The one time it actually snowed I saw 4 accidents happen driving west between 110 and 135, and there were times it would take me 40 minutes to get from the parking lot of my employer to the entrance for 135 on Jericho....probably half a mile away! There are side road options but they're all kinda out of the way.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Yeah, Jericho Turnpike can be tough in rush hour (and I went to Whitman and lived over there for years--well familiar with the traffic mess), but it's not far to the NSP off Round Swamp Road. Compared to a lot of Woodbury/Syosset, it's not awful, and if you buy in that area you know what you're in for there.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the HOA fee in The Preserve? Anyone know?
I know it is under $500.00 a month.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I have been in the clubhouse for a party a friend of ours had there. It is lovely with two floors that can be used for parties---they also have a fully equiped gym and there is a racquetball court also.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Sunrise Mall is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address).
No, its not. its MASSAPEQUA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...num=1&ct=image
as you can see from the map, the mall is outside the east massapequa limits.

Last edited by KENNY GUIDO; 01-12-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island