Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 74,057 times

Advertisements

Thinking of switching to Verizon fios from Cablevision, but have heard mixed things.

Does anyone have it, and how would you compare it with Optimum.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM

852 posts, read 2,019,020 times
Default Can't compare, but have opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-relocation View Post
Thinking of switching to Verizon fios from Cablevision, but have heard mixed things.

Does anyone have it, and how would you compare it with Optimum.

Thanks in advance
I moved here from Florida. I got the Verizon triple deal, or whatever it's called.

Their customer service, in my experience, was terrible. They were very responsive and seemed to want to help. Problem was that their networks didn't share information very well. So, you'd call one office, and they'd assure you that someone was on the way. Call again, and there was no record of your call or need for service. It was terrible frustrating.

The service has been terrific. The internet doesn't get throttled. It is fast. The TV is fine enough, though I don't have HD capability - if that's important to you, sorry. Working with their on-screen system is slow. So, if you want to scroll through On Demand offerings, it is cumbersome.

I also use their phone service. T-Mobile would drop off all of the time driving around the island. So, once we got here we dumped that service in exchange for a land-line. We've had absolutely no problem with that.

The fee is fixed just below $100/mo for all three. Nothing changes unless you rent a film.

Love it.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,329,500 times
Wish I could get it but still no Fios TV where I live

Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,166,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I moved here from Florida. I got the Verizon triple deal, or whatever it's called.

Their customer service, in my experience, was terrible. They were very responsive and seemed to want to help. Problem was that their networks didn't share information very well. So, you'd call one office, and they'd assure you that someone was on the way. Call again, and there was no record of your call or need for service. It was terrible frustrating.

The service has been terrific. The internet doesn't get throttled. It is fast. The TV is fine enough, though I don't have HD capability - if that's important to you, sorry. Working with their on-screen system is slow. So, if you want to scroll through On Demand offerings, it is cumbersome.

I also use their phone service. T-Mobile would drop off all of the time driving around the island. So, once we got here we dumped that service in exchange for a land-line. We've had absolutely no problem with that.

The fee is fixed just below $100/mo for all three. Nothing changes unless you rent a film.

Love it.

Totally agree with all of the above.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM

34 posts, read 134,136 times
No problems with Verizon

Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 PM

44 posts, read 130,080 times
customer service is terrible ... expected from verizon .

Internet is great . Very fast . no problems .

TV has been great . HD is very crisp , looks great .

Phone = no problems .

It is expensive though ...

I love it because I get the NFL and MLB networks .

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Sack View Post
customer service is terrible ... expected from verizon .

Internet is great . Very fast . no problems .

TV has been great . HD is very crisp , looks great .

Phone = no problems .

It is expensive though ...

I love it because I get the NFL and MLB networks .
More expensive than Cablevision for the same service?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

371 posts, read 939,214 times
I would love to dump cable for internet but it's the only damn thing in Medford besides dial up...Verizon sorta told us not to hold our breath waiting for fios either...

Last edited by NYRed; 01-13-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM

17 posts, read 74,057 times
thanks for the reponses. price wise i thought the two were basicly the same, i thought they both give you all three services for 100/mnth

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-relocation View Post
thanks for the reponses. price wise i thought the two were basicly the same, i thought they both give you all three services for 100/mnth
That's just for the first year. Then the rates go up (sometimes drastically). Also, bear in mind that Verizon makes you sign a contract with a penalty (around $200) for disconnecting their service before the contract is up, while Cablevision does not charge you a penalty at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island