Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

We're buying our first home and need a lawyer before Friday according to the realtor. The house is in Levittown. Anyone know of any good, but cheaper lawyers? Most we're finding are $950. Any recommendations?

Also, tell me if this seems right... my dad said that it's strange how the realtor wants us to get the house inspected BEFORE we go into contract? He said he can't find the reasoning for that. Should we ask the lawyer that we get about this, or can someone just quickly explain why? It's a short sale, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
we always did the contract before the inspection, BUT had a paragraph on the contract that said if the inspection found too many things wrong, we had the right to cancel the contract.

I think our lawyer retired so cant help you there.

That fee sounds right.
d

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Not sure why but 90% of the inspections are done prior to contracts. I guess it save the attorneys from alot of work if the deal goes south due to the inspection. When we do inspections, rarely are the contracts drawn.

I have a few attorneys that I can recommend. Shoot me a DM.....good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We're buying our first home and need a lawyer before Friday according to the realtor. The house is in Levittown. Anyone know of any good, but cheaper lawyers? Most we're finding are $950. Any recommendations?

Also, tell me if this seems right... my dad said that it's strange how the realtor wants us to get the house inspected BEFORE we go into contract? He said he can't find the reasoning for that. Should we ask the lawyer that we get about this, or can someone just quickly explain why? It's a short sale, by the way.
You don't "NEED" a lawyer if you are able to comprehend what is in the contract. The realtor is just VERY used to saying , "get a lawyer" because it is ingrained in the LI real estate system.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
We do need one. We're first time home buyers and in our mid 20s. Don't know a whole lot about all this.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,682 times
i did my inspection b4 going into contract.. just easier that way it seems

Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Hi Rachel84,

Wouldn't it be awful if you already were under contract to buy this house and then did the inspection after signing, and the house turned out to be a real lemon with who knows how many problems/fixes it would need costing probably thousands of dollars??? Don't rely on the seller to take care of all or any of it or to do the fixes the right way either.

That's why you need to do an inspection first. You may find dry rot, inadequate heating, rotted beams, termites, mold, a raised foundation due to tree roots, ivy in the walls, inadequate electrical, etc. The list can go on and on and sometimes it does.

After the inspection using a reputable inspector, not someone your realtor recommends to make the sale, and reading the complete report, then you can make an informed decision whether or not you really want to buy the house. Also, the house may be in fantastic condition...or not. At that point it's up to you to decide.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Rachael,

it is common practice (at least here on L.I.) to have the inspection done before the contract is signed.
Reasons:
--find out what you're getting before you sign, just in case you want to change your mind if the report comes back very negative (my younger daughter nixed two houses as a result of inspections and was ultimately glad she did, even though it cost $$)
--if you do change your mind, that means more work for your attorney, which usually means more $$
--in a short sale, the bank will generally not agree to the clause "subject to inspection"; so once you sign the contract, you're pretty much stuck.

Oh, and the rate you were quoted is not outrageous.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 PM

172 posts, read 718,866 times
check your message. i sent you a lawyer # and name.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
1. If you are looking for someone cheap, you are going to have INCREDIBLE PROBLEMS, my friend.

You have "bad" priorities here...and what's going to happen is, you are going to have A LOT of problems, later on.

2. In case you haven't figured it out yet, you are, probably, being "rushed" into A BAD REAL ESTATE DEAL !

You don't buy real estate like this...and I'm sure you know it...somewhere, deep down.

Good luck, because you're going to need it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island