Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times

Advertisements

Its officially 13 degrees outside. The winter is starting to get to me and we have 2 1/2 months to go. Just looking for some ideas on how to cure the wintertime blues?(Im not a skier or partake in winter sports) What do all you guys do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
I felt like you do one time. Instead of spending 4 months indoors every year I simply moved south. I never looked back.......or north since.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Its officially 13 degrees outside. The winter is starting to get to me and we have 2 1/2 months to go. Just looking for some ideas on how to cure the wintertime blues?(Im not a skier or partake in winter sports) What do all you guys do?

Great idea for a thread Rocs.

Im a freak ...I love the cold.

I particularly enjoy the Hamptons/North Fork in the off season.

Sometimes we do the Railroad stuff.
RR Museums in Riverhead and Greenport.

I love the Trackside cafe @ the Speonk rail(Great Roast Beef/Apple Pie and Lobster Rolls.)
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/spe...AlCAstelli.JPG

Its really beautiful out there without all the Land Rovers.

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,340 times
Quote:
Good question and the more natural or artificial lighting there is in your home the more the feeling of better bright and shiny days will soon arrive. We also rented movies that depicted sun and fun but the best thing is that we didn't look at the cold weather in a negative way...The world couldn't enjoy apples, peaches etc if the cold didn't come over them...Did you know that oranges get sweeter as the colder than the normal heat of Florida weather arrives... I live in Florida and Palm trees are great and so is the weather but our trees are boring because they do not change colors...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:

This frigid weather is a temporary thing -- don't fret!

Have you looked into any local theater events or offerings? How about any classes offered by your local library? Lecture series at one of the many colleges and universities on the Island?

For those of us whose necks are a bit red:
This weekend is the outdoor show at the Coliseum. There are the monster trucks in early February.

How about tackling some home project which you might have been putting off?

Why not watch some old home movies, look through old photo albums?

Call an elderly relative and talk for a little while -- if you're feeling the wintertime blues, imagine how they feel.

Volunteer for a local organization -- animal shelter, not-for-profits, anything that suits your particular interests.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
I am now in NY for the exact opposite feelings you are having. After moving to Florida a year and a half ago (job), I cannot take any more summer. Winter in NY doesn't last forever. Summer in Florida DOES last forever. As a native New Yorker who lived with 4 seasons for 57 years, nothing but endless summer with nothing changing at all, gets old very quickly. In NY in a very short time the flowers will be coming up though the ground, the buds will appear on the trees, and the days will get longer and longer. In the throws of winter you have something to look forward to. Change will come.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
In NY in a very short time the flowers will be coming up though the ground, the buds will appear on the trees, and the days will get longer and longer. In the throws of winter you have something to look forward to. Change will come.
For those of us who are gardeners, now is the time to peruse seed catalogs and get the orders ready. Always tough not to over-order

95% of my garden is full of various perennials - anyone need any? - so I can't order too many, but it'll be fun to start those fresh vegetables indoors. Nothing like a homegrown tomato!!!

And there's always a book or two to curl up with by the fireplace

Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 AM

149 posts, read 525,184 times
I really feel less than myself during this time of year, but despite how cold it gets as long as I can get around (ie: Not alot of snow) then I force myself to vacate my abode and do something. Things have been hectic lately but on days like this I love to flock to Borders, peruse the books, grab a muffin, etc...The bus lines and LIRR are my only means of transportation so of course where I head off to has to be accessed those ways.

As a parent, it's hard not letting the winter blahs get to you and affect your child's mood. That's the added pressure to pack a little snack bag/bottle of water/etc...bundle up and head out if only for menial things like errands or little treats like nail salon visits and taking in a matinee movie once homework is done. Of course during winter breaks, if we can, we will go visit relatives out of state.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Yes, the monster truck show is one event we plan on attending OhBeehave. Chuckee Cheese's is getting played out, but the kids still love it. The mall playground is a good place to let the little ones get rid of excess energy. So I will have to think of some more indoor child related things to do.
Any more suggestions?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
For those of us who are gardeners, now is the time to peruse seed catalogs and get the orders ready. Always tough not to over-order
This is that dangerous time of year when I'm tempted to get the seed starting trays out WAAAAY too early and then I end up with leggy starving seedlings in mid-March when it's far too soon to put them outside.

I watch my collection of 'Rosemary & Thyme' (BBC series about two garden designers who are also amateur detectives) at this time of year. The episodes are LOADED with scenes from all sorts of gorgeous British gardens because they were all filmed on location. I just sit there with my cup of tea and drooooool.

The series (it ran for 3 seasons but wasn't renewed after, darn it!) is available on DVD at Amazon, if anyone's interested in checking it out. You can buy each season separately, or the complete collection as here: Amazon.com: Rosemary & Thyme - The Complete Series: Felicity Kendal, Pam Ferris: Movies & TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island