Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

Wow Port North. We are eye to eye on pretty much all of LI. Are you sure youre not some type of gypsy mind reader?
And your #4 on things hated about LI was spot on! There is educated people & schools outside LI that operate on 25% of the money. I always thought NY'ers raved about the schools to help digest their tax bill. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
I agree with many of the negatives Port North pointed out.
There is a real lack of community here.
I hear from friends of mine who have moves south and west and they can't get over the difference in people. I've seen it myself when visiting other places, but I can't judge only based on a visit.

And yes, the materialism is a problem, but that is everywhere.

What bugs me a lot about LI is that the architecture is just sad.
Every place else I've been to has such nice shopping areas and homes with nice architecture. The buildings here both residential and commercial are sad. The exception of course, is the new Tanger in Deer Park, which looks like it belongs it Palm Beach.
Most of what you see on LI was built from 1945-1980.

It wasn't a classic period in architecture, and now it's dated and shabby looking. I've seen the same thing in the suburbs of Boston and Chicago. There's nothing uglier than a strip mall built in 1975.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 42,951 times
we moved here about three years ago because both me and my husband got jobs. we lived in Illinois before.
one thing for sure is the cost of living here is much more experensiver. house, daycare, car services...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM

51 posts, read 207,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Most of what you see on LI was built from 1945-1980.

It wasn't a classic period in architecture, and now it's dated and shabby looking. I've seen the same thing in the suburbs of Boston and Chicago. There's nothing uglier than a strip mall built in 1975.
Yes, that is true. But they really should update it and give it a facelift to a more pleasing style. They just let everything run down. There is no pride here like in other places.
You can find a strip mall built in the 70's in other places and they look refreshed. Look at Palm beach in Florida. It was pretty built up in that time and it has been renewed and refreshed.

It's amazing to go to places like Charleston and see things built in the 1800's that still look like it was built yesterday. They take a lot of pride in their architecture. most of the south does I think.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
I think singling out LI for materialism is a little unfair. It's like that everywhere in the New York area. Westchester may be a little more tasteful about it (less bling, better home decor), but they're busy throwing 6 figure bar mitzvahs there and buying the kids Mercedes, and northern NJ has its fair share of overblown house re-builds. Southern California is bad as well, from what friends there tell me.

I wouldn't agree that the South necessarily takes pride in architecture--some of the ugliest strips I've ever seen were in the South, especially around Houston and Dallas. Not to mention identikit New South downtowns and new build suburban sprawl.

There are schools spending less money than LI, but anywhere in the Northeast is expensive.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

51 posts, read 207,591 times
There is materialism everywhere.
You see it in the affluent suburbs of anywhere that is progressive.

There are those that have it and those that don't but try to keep up.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian08 View Post
we moved here about three years ago because both me and my husband got jobs. we lived in Illinois before.
one thing for sure is the cost of living here is much more experensiver. house, daycare, car services...
How do you like it here thus far compared to Illinois?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamel View Post
Hi,
I didn't know you had a fourth grader. You'll have to pm me. I do remember what neighborhood you live in. It's nice in there.

I agree. They could do so much more but they just aren't. A lot of people waste their time moaning about the lack of full day kindergarten, but I think there are other things they need. But, they choose to put the money into the super football field at the High School, which is nice compared to some of the other schools, but not a priority in my opinion.
I wish they had foreign language at the elementary level like a lot of other schools. My son went to Laurel Hill for kindergarten and loved the spanish class.
He seems kinda bored in some areas, and in some areas not so much. I do a lot with him at home, which sometimes frustrates him, but I want to supplement.
i grew up in a not so great district so I'm overly cautious I guess.

I agree that the economy isn't the best right now. But I have faith in Obama. I think he is going to do a great job.
Hi! I just PM'd you. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
People here I think are unaware of how materialistic many LI'ers really are. The cars, the handbags with the women, paving stones, granite counter tops, blah blah..does any of it make life better? When I go out to lunch in the area I work, and I see some of the high school kids and hear the things they talk about..my god are they shallow and materialistic. Half the girls seem like they idolize Paris Hilton or something...a girl with no talent who inherited everything she has..I guess that's not just LI, though. that's wannabe Hollywood.
To be fair, it's everywhere.

Suburbia is an evil idea whose time has past. It's a wasteful lifestyle dependent on cheap oil.

But, beyond that, it's a place where people try to take refuge from the realities of what's happening to the country. Remember Ferris Bueller's Day Off? A lot of the reason our country is in such sorry shape is that Ferris grew up and became a bank vice president in charge of mortgage underwriting.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
People here I think are unaware of how materialistic many LI'ers really are. The cars, the handbags with the women, paving stones, granite counter tops, blah blah..does any of it make life better? When I go out to lunch in the area I work, and I see some of the high school kids and hear the things they talk about..my god are they shallow and materialistic. Half the girls seem like they idolize Paris Hilton or something...a girl with no talent who inherited everything she has..I guess that's not just LI, though. that's wannabe Hollywood.
Materialism is definitely not unique to Long Island. It's not even unique to this particular time in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island