U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM

89 posts, read 252,873 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get a home alarm system , I am thinking about getting a hard wired system.Does anyone know what this procedure is like.Will my walls be knocked down to install wiring or will I be left with a huge mess of large holes in walls. Will I need to get a contractor to fix the mess after the installation.I am looking to get an alarm with Slomins.Any input ???? Thanks so very much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM

185 posts, read 1,161,001 times
We had an alarm system put in our house. It is cordless and all they did was do a little drilling...There are alarms on all our doors that go out so when they are opened for any reason the beep/ring and on every box (located in various places all over the house) they flash and indicate which door is open) PM me if you are interested to know who we specifically use. good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM

I am getting a hard wired alarm system and I was informed that it will be 4 (8hour days) to complete installation this is a huge inconvenience but I wanna get it done I am having (18 window contacts and 3 door contacts I asked about getting a wireless model but the company said it would be the same amount of time for this I wanted to know how this job is done and also how do they run the wires , and will my walls be damaged im so curious but cant seem to find any answer
thanks so much for the reply I appreciate it have a wonderful day

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

185 posts, read 1,161,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiSuffolkgal View Post
I am getting a hard wired alarm system and I was informed that it will be 4 (8hour days) to complete installation this is a huge inconvenience but I wanna get it done I am having (18 window contacts and 3 door contacts I asked about getting a wireless model but the company said it would be the same amount of time for this I wanted to know how this job is done and also how do they run the wires , and will my walls be damaged im so curious but cant seem to find any answer
thanks so much for the reply I appreciate it have a wonderful day

sounds weird...I would get a second quote from a 2nd company. I have 4 doors and 30+ windows ---and we did a cordless system it didn't take 4 days...try Diamond Security.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,343,687 times
I've always preferred/gotten a hardwired system. The companies often push the wireless ones nowadays because it's an easier/cheaper installation, but anyone who has a wireless alarm has to keep in mind the possibility/probability of interference from other wireless electronics (wireless internet router, infrared remote controls for tv and/or stereo system, cordless landline phone, cell phone, the list is endless).

The alarm salesman will be quick to say that "interference rarely happens" but in the small print of the contract you will find that they do not guarantee it. At least if you have a problem with a wired zone going "out", they will come out and repair the problem; but if a wireless zone does the same thing and they can't find anything physical, the first thing the tech will say is "You must have some other wireless device in the house that's interfering with the alarm system" thereby plopping the problem right back in your lap. Who needs it?

Not a huge mess to install and you won't have swiss cheese walls. They'll snake wires up from your basement/crawlspace and down from your attic, mostly.

If you are going to use, or consider, an ADT system, do look into their Cellguard option if you are going to have the system monitored. The Cellguard option will allow you to not need to keep a landline telephone if you otherwise wouldn't need one. Many people are dumping the expense of a home landline because they have cell phones, and the absolute cheapest message rate service from Verizon (where you get charged for every call you make) is over $30/month. If your alarm system is monitored, then you'll have to pay the phone company for a landline as well as the alarm company for monitoring. The Cellguard option is (despite the name) a radio connection to the monitoring station, so you don't need a landline phone at all. It's currently an additional $12/month for the Cellguard option but that's still cheaper than the $30/month that you'd pay to simply have phone service just for that.

Btw, I don't recommend using any kind of VOIP phone service for a monitored alarm system; they're not stable enough. You need something that is guaranteed to be active every single minute.

Another plus to the Cellguard is that a burglar cannot possibly interrupt the connection from your alarm to the monitoring station by cutting your phone line. I know several people who have the Cellguard as a backup to their landline connection (which they do use, so are keeping) for exactly that reason. If the phone line is cut, the Cellguard will work because the transmitter is inside the house, not on the exterior.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,287,210 times
We also did a cordless system, however the transmitters were a little large when compared to the wired ones we formerly had. They are almost 3"x1x1.

It took about 2 days to do the entire house and detached garage including wireless system between the buildings and radio back up.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 32,287,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I've always preferred/gotten a hardwired system. The companies often push the wireless ones nowadays because it's an easier/cheaper installation, but anyone who has a wireless alarm has to keep in mind the possibility/probability of interference from other wireless electronics (wireless internet router, infrared remote controls for tv and/or stereo system, cordless landline phone, cell phone, the list is endless).

The alarm salesman will be quick to say that "interference rarely happens" but in the small print of the contract you will find that they do not guarantee it. At least if you have a problem with a wired zone going "out", they will come out and repair the problem; but if a wireless zone does the same thing and they can't find anything physical, the first thing the tech will say is "You must have some other wireless device in the house that's interfering with the alarm system" thereby plopping the problem right back in your lap. Who needs it?

Not a huge mess to install and you won't have swiss cheese walls. They'll snake wires up from your basement/crawlspace and down from your attic, mostly.

If you are going to use, or consider, an ADT system, do look into their Cellguard option if you are going to have the system monitored. The Cellguard option will allow you to not need to keep a landline telephone if you otherwise wouldn't need one. Many people are dumping the expense of a home landline because they have cell phones, and the absolute cheapest message rate service from Verizon (where you get charged for every call you make) is over $30/month. If your alarm system is monitored, then you'll have to pay the phone company for a landline as well as the alarm company for monitoring. The Cellguard option is (despite the name) a radio connection to the monitoring station, so you don't need a landline phone at all. It's currently an additional $12/month for the Cellguard option but that's still cheaper than the $30/month that you'd pay to simply have phone service just for that.

Btw, I don't recommend using any kind of VOIP phone service for a monitored alarm system; they're not stable enough. You need something that is guaranteed to be active every single minute.

Another plus to the Cellguard is that a burglar cannot possibly interrupt the connection from your alarm to the monitoring station by cutting your phone line. I know several people who have the Cellguard as a backup to their landline connection (which they do use, so are keeping) for exactly that reason. If the phone line is cut, the Cellguard will work because the transmitter is inside the house, not on the exterior.

You reminded me of what I left off -- I did have the ADT cell guard system installed as well.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM

200 posts, read 570,171 times
Wireless alarms have come along way, there are very little problems with them today. The only thing I recommend is a company that does not
charge for service calls after the year is up, It could run you $80.00 a call.
Try a company called Regal Security there are no charges after your warranty is up.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 PM

67 posts, read 185,332 times
I would also recommend your local installer over the big name companies.

Some big companies retain ownership of the control panel, which is a problem if you cancel service. Also beware lengthy expensive monitoring contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: