Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Of course there are professional degrees that don't make 6 figures..if you want to be an environmental consultant, social worker, etc, you aren't going to make 6 figures. You know that going in.
People who chose to be public school teachers EVERYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY EXCEPT LONG ISLAND "know that going in" too. "Public School Teacher" has never been known as a profession that earns 6 figures and above anywhere except on Long Island, where it is an anamoly in terms of the salary range for the profession, NOT something that should evoke a sense of entitlement above all other teachers and masters degreed professionals.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
The "masters" a teacher is required to get is a complete joke. And also just because you have a degree does not mean you should get paid more necessarily, school does not guarantee high pay. I have a degree and work a professional job but still.

If you have ever seen the "masters" program that Dowling etc put out it is absurd. I knew several people who were not very smart, and got straight A's while making grammatical errors like using "there" wrong.

In addition, it seems that in the sciences, it is hard to find teachers, however the applications are overflowing for primary school and liberal arts teachers. Where else are you going to make a lot of money with a liberal arts degree? In addition don't compare this to MBA (equally useless, just topping on the cake, and a MBA with no experience will never get hired.) or an advanced professional degree. Just as you complain about the police, look at the primary school teachers as the police of the college educated folks.
Interesting post. Another thing to keep in mind is that the masters degrees that public school teachers are required to get can be earned anywhere, even at the cheapest and easiest schools.

There are so many other professions where if you don't get your masters at a TOP SCHOOL, you will not get a job and it is essentially not worth the paper it is printed on. With the increased competition for less and less jobs out there, more and more employers can toss resumes in the circular file if the masters degree is not from the best schools because they have plenty of candidates that do have them from the best schools. With teachers, it doesn't matter where you get the masters degree, even online (as long as it is an accredited online school), so you can pay much, much, much less money and take the easiest curriculum out there.

Try getting a job as an investment banker with a masters degree from a non-prestigious school!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
start at 57K, and after 5 years, make over 100K for the next 15 before retiring.
Everyone makes $100K as a minimum guaranteed salary after 5 years or is that YOUR ESTIMATE of what YOU THINK every cop makes because you think every single cop earns that much overtime each and every year s/he works? Don't exaggerate if you want us to take you seriously. I try to be fair but sometimes people make it hard for me to find them credible.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,951,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
People who chose to be public school teachers EVERYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY EXCEPT LONG ISLAND "know that going in" too. "Public School Teacher" has never been known as a profession that earns 6 figures and above anywhere except on Long Island, where it is an anamoly in terms of the salary range for the profession, NOT something that should evoke a sense of entitlement above all other teachers and masters degreed professionals.

Again, since you don't seem to want to listen, 6 figures is not the norm for public school teachers on LI unless you've been working for 20+ years. But, again, you've got an agenda, and you're sticking to it.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Everyone makes $100K as a minimum guaranteed salary after 5 years or is that YOUR ESTIMATE of what YOU THINK every cop makes because you think every single cop earns that much overtime each and every year s/he works? Don't exaggerate if you want us to take you seriously. I try to be fair but sometimes people make it hard for me to find them credible.

The base salary is 98K after 5 years for SCPD (it's right on their website, sparky).....are you going to say that I'm making up figures that are on SCPD's site......is there something wrong with you? I have to prove that I'M credible when you question facts that you would know if you took approximately 3 seconds to look? Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

If a cops shift ever falls on a holiday, they get any night differential, etc, they make over 100K with ease, and with overtime, which is easily available, most make much more.

It's funny that you continually post exaggerations about teachers salaries (they're all making 100K) with no basis or facts, yet you try to deny facts that are public record about the police, which I in turn have to correct you on.

Kinda deranged.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Again, since you don't seem to want to listen, 6 figures is not the norm for public school teachers on LI unless you've been working for 20+ years. But, again, you've got an agenda, and you're sticking to it.
Oh, okay, public school teachers on Long Island do not get way above average pay So then why does every public school teacher want to work on Long Island above anywhere else? Kind of like how every cop wants to work for Suffolk or Nassau.

As for the agenda, WHO'S GOT THE AGENDA? I actually show support in my posts for public school teachers and police officers. All I ask for is some moderation and a sense of fairness. NCPD and SCPD need to get with the new century in terms of retirement years, pensions and non-contributory benefits. As for the school districts, KIDS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO SACRIFICE WHEN IT COMES TO THE BUDGET, the people who work in the school district should at least share the burden! I don't think it is too much to ask.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Interesting post. Another thing to keep in mind is that the masters degrees that public school teachers are required to get can be earned anywhere, even at the cheapest and easiest schools.

There are so many other professions where if you don't get your masters at a TOP SCHOOL, you will not get a job and it is essentially not worth the paper it is printed on. With the increased competition for less and less jobs out there, more and more employers can toss resumes in the circular file if the masters degree is not from the best schools because they have plenty of candidates that do have them from the best schools. With teachers, it doesn't matter where you get the masters degree, even online (as long as it is an accredited online school), so you can pay much, much, much less money and take the easiest curriculum out there.

Try getting a job as an investment banker with a masters degree from a non-prestigious school!
A person with an education degree from Columbia is going to get a job more easily (and some instances get paid more) than a person with a degree from Dowling.

Again, you are talking about things which you have little knowledge of. The big problems with teaching jobs on LI is the nepotism where someone with that Dowling degree gets the job over someone withe the Columbia degree because they are related to an administrator or board member. It took my wife 5 years to get a job in a place she had not connections, so, I've never been the beneficiary of that. And for years, the same could be said of SCPD...special consideration if dad, grandpa, or uncle is on the force. They've recently changed that, but plenty of guys on the force who benefited from that policy.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The base salary is 98K after 5 years for SCPD (it's right on their website, sparky).....are you going to say that I'm making up figures that are on SCPD's site......is there something wrong with you? I have to prove that I'M credible when you question facts that you would know if you took approximately 3 seconds to look? Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

If a cops shift ever falls on a holiday, they get any night differential, etc, they make over 100K with ease, and with overtime, which is easily available, most make much more.

It's funny that you continually post exaggerations about teachers salaries (they're all making 100K) with no basis or facts, yet you try to deny facts that are public record about the police, which I in turn have to correct you on.

Kinda deranged.
Thank you for backing up your claim and letting me know that you were not exaggerating. I never go on the SCPD website because I am not thinking of becoming a police officer. Since you are so obsessed with them, I let you do it.

I never said all teachers on Long Island are making $100K. You are the one who keeps saying they DESERVE $100K because the less-educated police are getting it and I am countering with "why" do they deserve $100K. That is what we are talking about.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, okay, public school teachers on Long Island do not get way above average pay So then why does every public school teacher want to work on Long Island above anywhere else? Kind of like how every cop wants to work for Suffolk or Nassau.

As for the agenda, WHO'S GOT THE AGENDA? I actually show support in my posts for public school teachers and police officers. All I ask for is some moderation and a sense of fairness. NCPD and SCPD need to get with the new century in terms of retirement years, pensions and non-contributory benefits. As for the school districts, KIDS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO SACRIFICE WHEN IT COMES TO THE BUDGET, the people who work in the school district should at least share the burden! I don't think it is too much to ask.
If a budget fails and keeps failing, teachers will be laid off. If what you want is teachers to suffer, keep voting down the budget.

There is no moderation and sense of fairness if you attack teachers before going after the cops, because there is no comparison in compensation, and that's a fact...although your computer seems to block you from finding out SCPD salary, for some reason. Convenient.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
If a budget fails and keeps failing, teachers will be laid off. If what you want is teachers to suffer, keep voting down the budget.

There is no moderation and sense of fairness if you attack teachers before going after the cops, because there is no comparison in compensation, and that's a fact...although your computer seems to block you from finding out SCPD salary, for some reason. Convenient.
I am not attacking teachers above the police! Read what I said again:

NCPD and SCPD need to get with the new century in terms of retirement years, pensions and non-contributory benefits. As for the school districts, KIDS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO SACRIFICE WHEN IT COMES TO THE BUDGET, the people who work in the school district should at least share the burden! I don't think it is too much to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island