Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Getting away from the topic for a minute:

I am asking this because I am not sure how this works -- if a teacher is tenured, can they still be laid off in the face of budget cuts? How exactly does tenure protect the teacher?

Or would the lay off be something akin to offering an earlier retirement to eliminate the larger paychecks?

Trying to learn the ropes, not stir the pot.
It happened in my old high school...when entrollment went down and budgets got voted down, teachers were laid off. The ones with the least seniority, of course.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sorry for my mistake! But you can understand me being confused when you made statements such as:

cops making 120K after 5 years with some overtime....people on LI want teachers to be making 50K per year in that same environment

AND

Teachers need 6 years of schooling, cops need none. Look at what a career with 6 years of schooling gets you in many fields: accounting, nursing, Finance, etc..you would find something very comparable. People with Masters in Account and CPA's make well over 100K before teachers ever do. Nurses, with overtime, break 100K quite easily.

Resorting to personal attacks means you know you have lost the argument and are behaving like a sore loser.

Once again, I am not attacking teachers before cops.

That's okay, I accept that fact that your reading comprehension is poor. Nowhere in anything you quoted did I say teachers deserve 100K, yet you indicated that I said exactly that. Learn how to read before trying to paraphrase.

As for sore loser..your sitting there holding your own head, and calling me a loser. Nice spin. You throw out a bunch of farcical junk and then declare yourself a winner when you've been proven to be either very dishonest or willfully misinformed. Are you a big Sean Hannity fan, perhaps? Similar tactics. Big on the argumentation fallacies, low on substance.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Screw "stature". Earn your pay and pull your weight.

I'll say this, my kid's middle school got a new principal last year. He was out there at 6:30 in the morning helping direct the traffic in the parkinglot, sometimes in the pouring rain, he's at every function, he either picks up the phone himself, or gets back to you immediately, he cares, he goes above and beyond what any other administrator in my school district would be willing to do. To the point where he has been confronted by other members of the faculty and adminstration to knock it off because he's making them look bad(ie:lazy).
Meanwhile, the Principal in the elementary school pulls up in her Lexus SUV, which is parked in her very own spot, gets out in her fancy wardrobe and jewelry, glides accross the parking lot like a fairytale princess with her nose up in the air like everyone elses' **** stinks and hers doesn't.
And doesn't do a damn thing all day.

Anecdotes, my friend, anecdotes. The person was hired for a position that demands a certain salary. If they are not pulling their weight in that position, that school board can run them out of town.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Teachers may be somewhat overcompensated, but to compare their compensations to cops is inaccurate at best
You are the one who keeps harping on their comparative compensations!

Quote:
Someone is very busy defending police officers, and probably has a bias that they aren't disclosing.
No, really. I never said on here that I think they deserve everything they get and it should stay the same. To the contrary! To admit the unvarnished truth, I actually dislike cops for the most part.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
That's okay, I accept that fact that your reading comprehension is poor. Nowhere in anything you quoted did I say teachers deserve 100K, yet you indicated that I said exactly that. Learn how to read before trying to paraphrase.
Then please tell me what you think teachers deserve. In numbers.

Quote:
As for sore loser..your sitting there holding your own head, and calling me a loser. Nice spin. You throw out a bunch of farcical junk and then declare yourself a winner when you've been proven to be either very dishonest or willfully misinformed. Are you a big Sean Hannity fan, perhaps? Similar tactics. Big on the argumentation fallacies, low on substance.
No, actually I have not been "proven to be very dishonest or willfully misinformed." I have high credibility on this board and my rep points are climbing every day. As for Sean Hannity, I have heard the name but have never tuned in to his show. If I want to meet blowhards, I can do so right here.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You are the one who keeps harping on their comparative compensations!

No, really. I never said on here that I think they deserve everything they get and it should stay the same. To the contrary! To admit the unvarnished truth, I actually dislike cops for the most part.
The comparison is the red herring of cops and their "supporters" on this and other message boards.

I actually don't dislike cops...I happen to know a handful, I happen to think that SCPD does a pretty good job..I just don't think it's the taxpayers responsibility to give them a lotto ticket when they are hired, which their pension is basically equivalent to. For the most part, you are giving them 1-2million dollars in the bank for them to earn interest off of when they retire. Do you know how much you'd have to put into your 401K to retire with the kind of pension they take home?

Unfortunately, even when you praise the police, they can't control getting nasty because they don't want their gravy train to ever end. Can't really blame them, but their gravy train is at the expense of everyone on LI.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Then please tell me what you think teachers deserve. In numbers.

No, actually I have not been "proven to be very dishonest or willfully misinformed." I have high credibility on this board and my rep points are climbing every day. As for Sean Hannity, I have heard the name but have never tuned in to his show. If I want to meet blowhards, I can do so right here.
I don't know about your rep points, all that I know is that when I told you what SCPD makes, you put your hands over your ears and screamed "I can't hear you, no they don't, la la".

Then when I told you where to find what they make, you said that I was "obsessed" for knowing where a county website is...you know, where you might go to send e-mails about law enforcement issues in your neighborhood. Yeah, crazy obsessed me. .

Face it...you got buried. Move on.

As for what teachers deserve, I think their top pay scales are too high..I think maxing out over 90K is exorbitant, and their jobs would still be sought after even if that scale was reigned in. Now that's coming from someone who would be directly affected by the proposal.

Now, I'd like to hear ONE cop or relative of a cop who is willing to admit the same thing. I've not seen one on this or other boards yet who have the decency to do so, and therefore, I can't sit back while people talk about hammering away at teachers salaries without mentioning people making much more with fewer qualifications..and I have no intention of stopping until I an encounter a cop or cops wife who will admit that their gravy train is out of sync.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I don't know about your rep points, all that I know is that when I told you what SCPD makes, you put your hands over your ears and screamed "I can't hear you, no they don't, la la".

Then when I told you where to find what they make, you said that I was "obsessed" for knowing where a county website is...you know, where you might go to send e-mails about law enforcement issues in your neighborhood. Yeah, crazy obsessed me. .

Face it...you got buried. Move on.
Very cute imagery. Actually did you know that when I close my eyes, I become invisible too? You ARE obsessed with SCPD. Why not the same zeal for NCPD? Face it and move on.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Very cute imagery. Actually did you know that when I close my eyes, I become invisible too? You ARE obsessed with SCPD. Why not the same zeal for NCPD? Face it and move on.

Because I live in Suffolk? I don't pay taxes to NCPD.

People in Nassau have every right to replace the S in everything I've said with an N.

Are you really that dim?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Now, I'd like to hear ONE cop or relative of a cop who is willing to admit the same thing. I've not seen one on this or other boards yet who have the decency to do so, and therefore, I can't sit back while people talk about hammering away at teachers salaries without mentioning people making much more with fewer qualifications..and I have no intention of stopping until I an encounter a cop or cops wife who will admit that their gravy train is out of sync.
Any cop relative or cops out there who will admit this? PLEASE! ADMIT IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island