Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM

20,013 posts, read 20,802,317 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to get one of these what alot of people call "tit" jobs for years.
LIPA, Water Co, LIRR, County Civil Service, etc...No luck.
I admit, If I had a chance to milk the system, I probabally would.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,019,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've been trying to get one of these what alot of people call "tit" jobs for years.
LIPA, Water Co, LIRR, County Civil Service, etc...No luck.
I admit, If I had a chance to milk the system, I probabally would.

It just shouldn't be that the best jobs available are working for the government, where payroll comes out of taxpayers pockets.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM

It not that they are necessarily the "best" jobs, but they are definitely some of the most secure jobs. A business owner stands a much higher risk of going out of business or having profit loss than a government employee. The world is crumbling down around you financially, but Charlie will still be out there fixing the roads that will always need repair. Meanwhile people can always start cutting their own grass or clean their own pool if they have to in order to save a few bucks.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 AM

To be fair, many gov/civil servant jobs don't start @60k or more a year.
A majority of them have a starting pay in the mid 20's-mid 30's. Some you can increase in pay rapidly, others take a few years to get to a comfortable level.
But even with the lower starting pay jobs, the benefits more than make up for it.
Full medical/dental, sick/holiday pay/vacation pay, retirement/pension etc...
and the biggest benefit...job security.
Fact is most families cannot survive on the Island with only one income, so even if you have one of the lesser paying gov jobs, it is secure and steady income plus the health benefits. So one income is the Meat and potatoes, and the other is the gravy.
Ha, I have neither. I think I might have an appetizer and a small coke.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,700,453 times
You can thank the cops and teachers for the ridiculous tax increases. Everytime they want a raise they get it. I know its not politically correct to say anything bad about teachers and cops but it is what it is. Especially the teachers on this Island who are nothing but Jappy Pre-Madonnas

Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Before we made the decision to sell and move south, We had entertained the idea of moving out east, which my wife didn't mind too much because she is originally from the east end, but we quickly realized it really wasn't much cheaper than Nassau.
You may get a little more bang for your buck in certain areas of Suffolk, as far as property being larger than a postage stamp and slightly lower house prices, but overall it averaged out to the same cost of living, I would just have more grass to cut. The taxes were in around the same per year, even higher in some area's.
We have 2 kids, so we were being a little selective as to where we were looking, as far as schools go. We just didn't see the point in moving again on the Island to the neighborhoods we felt were what we were looking for, we'd be in the same financial position we are now with maybe a slightly larger piece of property.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
You can thank the cops and teachers for the ridiculous tax increases. Everytime they want a raise they get it. I know its not politically correct to say anything bad about teachers and cops but it is what it is. Especially the teachers on this Island who are nothing but Jappy Pre-Madonnas
Really?

I can't deny that some are, but most are not. I happen to know quite a few teachers, since I'm married to one and she has a lot of friends at school.

As for the cops, their wives are in a much better position to be "princesses", because by the time hubby is on the job for 5 years, they most likely will not have to work full time, if at all. Most cops are making $40K more than my wife is (10 years in) after 5 years if they work any overtime, and they are scheduled to work just as few days as a teacher, so overtime is easy to come by.

As for it being PC to talk trash about teachers..I hear it all the time from people all over the island..what are you talking about? People are much more "afraid" to bash cops because they fear retribution..tickets, etc.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 AM

I'll just give my oppinion here for a second, nobody has to agree with it. Actually it may be more of a question, but...And I don't mean any of this in a sarcastic or nasty way, I'm sincerely curious...
For years teachers have complained of low or unfair wages right? They've had their little commercials on TV, made the news programs quite a few times over contract disputes etc...So I'm just wondering why, given all the press and hype about teachers not being all that great of a career choice, and the sacrifices involved etc, would anybody want to be a teacher? The education costs to become a teacher aren't cheap either, so why then would so many people want to become an educator if it's such a negative job? And I can't believe that every teacher is in it because they "want to make a difference" in peoples lives. I just don't understand.
It has to be somewhat lucrative financially or there would not be any teachers.
Plus, every single one I see pulling up to the school yard in the morning is driving a Benz, BMW, Large fancy SUV, etc...Ha.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'll just give my oppinion here for a second, nobody has to agree with it. Actually it may be more of a question, but...And I don't mean any of this in a sarcastic or nasty way, I'm sincerely curious...
For years teachers have complained of low or unfair wages right? They've had their little commercials on TV, made the news programs quite a few times over contract disputes etc...So I'm just wondering why, given all the press and hype about teachers not being all that great of a career choice, and the sacrifices involved etc, would anybody want to be a teacher? The education costs to become a teacher aren't cheap either, so why then would so many people want to become an educator if it's such a negative job? And I can't believe that every teacher is in it because they "want to make a difference" in peoples lives. I just don't understand.
It has to be somewhat lucrative financially or there would not be any teachers.
Plus, every single one I see pulling up to the school yard in the morning is driving a Benz, BMW, Large fancy SUV, etc...Ha.

What? I don't know a single teacher at my wifes school who drives a Mercedes or BMW.

No one that I know is complaining either...they do get tired of being bashed by people, yes, but they also realize that their jobs are stable and that they are doing well. They also realize that if they had masters in business or accounting or nursing, they'd probably be making similar salaries to what they are making now.

There is definitely a lot of poetic license used by some people on LI when talking about teachers, that's for sure. Benzs and BMW's.....maybe you are talking about the kids at Ward Melville HS. LOL.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If kids who play sports have to have their parents pitch in an extra $50-100...or do funding drives...they do that when they play intramurals anyway...all the programs that require 2 teachers in a class should probably go....any teacher making over 100K should be given an incentive for early retirement, and pay scales going up because a classroom teacher has a doctorate...that should stop to. In service credits...that should stop too. There are all kinds of areas here. Then there's also getting the illegals who don't pay taxes, but that's a more complex problem.
A lot of the 2 teacher (or teacher plus assistant) classes are special ed, which can't be cut because of mandates and student needs. (The huge growth in special education services is also a big factor in the increase in expenses and consequently taxes.) The number of teachers with doctorates is small, so I don't think that would be anything more than political point scoring. IIRC, a lot of the early retirement programs ended up not saving any money because the cost of pensions, payouts, and new teacher salary was more than just paying the existing expensive teacher. In-service credits encourage teachers to go back to school, and I don't see that as any different from what many private companies do.

I've never liked pay to play because it hits poor kids and districts really hard. Funding drives don't work when none of your neighbors have any money either. It doesn't even save much--when districts go on austerity and cut all this stuff, taxes don't go down.

In order to cut budgets substantially, we would need to cut salaries (lowering teacher quality, because if you can teach elsewhere for the same money and half the cost of living, you will), or shift pension and benefit costs on to teachers, which would be politically suicidal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island