Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM

143 posts, read 298,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Who's arguing that? While all you may need is a clean record or HS diploma, that alone will NOT get you in. So many ppl want the job so this decreases your chances of getting it obviously. Then you have all the other X factors which may not be mandatory but will dictate if and when you ever get selected.
The point is it doesn't take any schooling or skill to become a cop. Just because the job has lots of competition doesn't mean it's worth the money we spend on it! The reason why 30,000 people pay $100 to have a chance at becoming a cop is because it pays so well. That's like saying I'm starting a bagel shop and paying my employees 100k a year. I get a line of 30,000 people applying and I can be selective. So now I can be selective in who I hire. That doesn't mean I should pay a lot, it means I do pay a lot and the job is in demand.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,133,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I don't think in this economy, starting out from square one, that I would be able to afford a home.
You are probably the only person on this board that will admit to that.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,090,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The fact that there are 2500 jobs should have nothing to do with how much they are paid. There are thousands of police jobs available in NYC. The demand for cops is not high. The demand to GET SCPD jobs is high..because their salaries are insane.
Maybe the SCPD is making the right amount of $$$ to live on the Island, maybe everyone else is just underpaid.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ly-income.html

Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,574,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
That's just nuts. There's so much corruption here...Seriously, property taxes here are like a second mortgage. And for what? Look at the way they "take care" of the snow on the roads...
I've only lived here for 3 years. We didn't get significant snow really until this year (3 or 4 times). The snow removal was ABYSMAL. They did not plow my street for 2 days. When they did, they left a nice layer of snow which then iced up. No salt or sand. Ridiculous considering the taxes (plus the VILLAGE tax on top of that).

Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Maybe the SCPD is making the right amount of $$$ to live on the Island, maybe everyone else is just underpaid.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-island/154076-what-percentage-your-net-monthly-income.html
Thank you for that intelligent insight. The SCPD is making the right amount of money but everyone else is underpaid. LMAO How about "Bill Gates is making the right amount of money but everyone else in the world is underpaid!! The fact is the markets determine what each job pays. The markets for RN's with experience say RN's should make close to 6 figures, depending on the type of nurse. However, the market for the SCPD and NCPD are distorted because of the PBA and the taylor law. The combination of their salary and benefits is so ridiculously high that something needs to be done. Unfortunately, we can't increase everyone else's salary, but we can cut their benefits and hold their salaries in place for a long time.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,133,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
She pays in for the whole family.

So, let me get this straight about the last part: you can throw inaccurate information all over the place, and don't have to have anything to back it up, other than "I'm sure" , but I'm held to a higher standard. I don't think so, pal.

No, it isn't just my wife's district that pays on. I know of at least 2 others. Stop spreading misinformation.
Good sidestep! I am just saying you are not the authority on every school district in LI. Neither am I, but I do not pretend to be. You may be the "authority" on the school district your wife works for, but as for the others, no.

The real complaint of the LI taxpayer is that the salaries in the private sector have not kept up with the salaries in the public sector for certain professions, such as police officer and teacher.

I don't think anyone wants to drive police officers and teachers into poverty. I certainly don't because good pay attracts good candidates for the jobs available. Competent police officers keep the public safe and police officers who are not paid poverty wages are less likely to become corrupt and cause problems for their communities. Competent teachers keep the students in our school districts performing well.

I also do not think being a police officer is a "lesser than" profession because the minimum education qualification for someone starting out is lower than that of a teacher. First of all, I thought teachers can start teaching with 4 years of college, a bachelors degree, not 6 years of college as you have mentioned, which would include a post-graduate degree. Has that changed across the country? Or only on Long Island? I know in NYC the Teaching Fellows program does not demand a masters degree, they help you get one. There are several advanced degrees out there that do not make any big money, such as librarian or certified social worker. What is lesser about them that they do not get big bucks for the big, costly education, yet teachers MUST get bigger bucks? I am sorry, but being a police officer is not an unskilled idiot job. I think you are biased because your wife is a LI teacher and if she wasn't you would paint them with the same brush as you paint LI police officers.

Back to the main point of discussion, when you combine the 2009 payscale with the 1950s cushy benefits, that is where something has got to give. The average taxpayer who works in the private sector becomes resentful when forced to pay high taxes to provide a lifestyle s/he cannot afford to public servants. In a perfect world, all our salaries would at least get a COLA, but they don't. How to fix all of this? I don't know. Do we rip thousands of dollars out of the pay of teachers and police officers and give them less for the same work? I don't think that is going to fly, do you?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-20-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM

The fact is a person on Long Island spends more on housing than people around the rest of the country. The SCPD makes closer to what it takes to live on the Island than most people. Why not try to get the Island's economic house in order instead of blaming the cops?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 PM

19,496 posts, read 20,290,413 times
I'm all for fairness. For the most part, cops do a good job. There is a high risk of danger involved with the job as well. But it is still just a job, and to be honest, there are many more close-to-death jobs out there than being a cop. I think I've faced death on the job more times in my life than any cop has, but regardless, I think cops do deserve certain benefits for what they do, maybe more than the average bear, but what's going on here on the Island is just insane. There are ways to keep salaries and such in check. It just aint gonna happen though. It is what it is and the powers that be are going to hold on to what they have for dear life. The only possibilitly would be to lower the starting pay for future recruits, and re-arrange the pay structure for future recruits. Anyone on the job currently will not be giving up anything, the only option would be with changing things for new cops. I don't think it will discourage enough people that there will be a shortfall of new recruits, the PBA would probabally try to scare the public into believeing that there'll be less cops on the street etc...but whatever. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
There are ways to keep salaries and such in check.
Just wondering... why didn't anyone keep taxes in check, or home prices or services? Sorry guys, but getting ticked at what the cops make is just a distraction for all the other things that are kicking Islanders collective butts.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The fact is a person on Long Island spends more on housing than people around the rest of the country. The SCPD makes closer to what it takes to live on the Island than most people. Why not try to get the Island's economic house in order instead of blaming the cops?
Because getting the "economic house in order" is nearly impossible. That takes time for the economic cycle to turn around. In the mean time, private sector residents are struggling to make ends meat while the SCPD is raking in 130k easy with overtime/ lots of days off/ free healthcare and pension/ the ultimat ejob security and we private sector residents are paying for it! We are paying for it as we face layoffs every single day!

The problem is, when times are bad, the cops want to just get cola. When times are good, the cops want the large increases the private sector employees get. The difference is, in bad time we private sector employees do not get cola and many of us lose our jobs. The cops cannot have it both ways. If they want the increases when times are good, let them face layoffs. Let them face their retirement funds losing 30%. Let them face no pay increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island