Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think in a way, paying the police less may actually be a good thing. It just may weed out those looking to jump on the cash cow, because anyone who truly wants to become a cop because they are passionate about the job and making a difference in the community, will still take the job at a lesser rate of pay, because they believe in what they are doing and what it stands for. Just a thought.

Either way, you don't have to be paying SCPD what they are being paid to have good police services, and you might even be able to have a few more cops on the street.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Let me ask, what does everyone consider a fair property tax rate? If you don't like the property tax what would be a fair VAT or income tax rate?

People I know in other states are paying $1500-$3000 for big houses. I think for where we live, the average 3 bedroom starter house should have taxes in the mid to high 4's, not 5's and 6's or higher...a 15-20% reduction would make it more manageable for most people.

The seniors would still come out to vote down the school budget.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I'm all for an income based property tax structure. It has it's good and bad points like anything else, but even if taxes dropped down a grand or so a year, it is still difficult for many people to pay and live comfortably. Living comfortably doesn't mean that they can go out and buy a BMW and a hot tub, to me living comfortably means being able to cover your basic and necessary expenses without struggling. It means not having LIPA come to your door every other month with a shut off notice etc...

I think if it were possible to have a combined system for paying taxes, like an assessed standard rate, but with a cap based on income, or something along those lines. There has to be a way to make it fair for EVERYBODY.

As far as beating up the cops and teachers, I agree there is waste there, but there are more areas to trim the tax burden fat.
One thing that really pisses me off is that I am paying for section 8 housing, medicare and other services for deadbeat losers trying to skate the system.
I am not talking about people who honestly, sincerely and legitimately need these services, I'm talking about the scumbags who milk these benefits, and go out and work off the books for cash and think it's a big joke that they are paying $80 a month towards their rent. Ha ha *******, real funny, you're so cool because you're getting over on "the man". I am tired of carrying you. I am out busting my ass to make a living and can barley afford what I have, and you are living on the tit.
Do any of you have an idea of what the counties and the state are laying out for this crap? It's ridiculous.
Then there's just the lazy bastards who wont get a job, why? because they don't have to that's why. The government puts a roof over their head, feeds them, and pays their medical bills. Who pays the bill, we do. It comes out of our taxes.
So, I strongly feel this an area that needs reform.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You are contradicting yourself here. In the context of what a starter home costs, $100K is not a "lot of money," it's not even a liveable wage if someone aspires to buy their own home, is it?
Well, what I meant is that 100K means a lot of money for the rest of the country. I do know that it's not enough to live here.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I thought some of you would get a kick out of this...

07-05-2008, 12:54 PM
[SIZE=5]zen210[/SIZE]
befriend
4 posts, read 1,418 times

Moving from NYC
This is my very first blog, so please bare with me. I am a native New Yorker. I grew up on Long Island but over the past few years I have realized that this isn't the place I want to be for much longer; too busy, too pushy, too pricey. I'm a teacher and I make a fantastic salary teaching on Long Island, comparatively, but money isn't everything. I'm looking for somewhere I can call home for the next 30 years that has a better quality of life. I'm really interested in moving somewhere south of NY, north of Georgia, and along the coast. Ideally, I'd like to live within a 30 minute drive of a beach and a city. I'm a single 28 year old woman so someplace safe, with culture, and a fun vibe would be great. I've been looking into Charleston, Baltimore, and Virginia Beach. Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Thumbs down Excuse me, now who's spewing misinformation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Getting out a good chunk of mis-information is more accurate, but that's what the knee-jerkers want.
Well, I'm glad you're not bitter!

It's misinformation that the PUBLIC is not allowed to vote on the portion of the school district budget that includes salaries and benefits for school district employees? IF THAT IS MISINFORMATION, NAME ONE SCHOOL DISTRICT ON LONG ISLAND THAT HAS THAT ARRANGEMENT.

It's misinformation that the typical benefits package for teachers has traditionally included ALL HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS BEING FULLY PAID FOR WITH NO EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION WHATSOEVER? We have discussed your wife's benefits plan and found that in her school district teachers do contribute. However, YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ARRANGEMENT FOR ALL THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON LONG ISLAND. This type of bennie is a very typical Long Island teacher perk (just as with police officers) and as far as I know, THE SCHOOL DISTRICT PAYING FOR ALL THE COST OF THE TEACHER'S HEALTH INSURANCE WITH NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED HAS NOT BEEN DISCONTINUED IN ALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON LONG ISLAND JUST BECAUSE IT HAS IN YOUR WIFE'S SCHOOL DISTRICT. So unless you know that for a fact every single school district has stopped this long-standing tradition, please refrain from outbursts to the contrary. Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-21-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, I'm glad you're not bitter!

It's misinformation that the PUBLIC is not allowed to vote on the portion of the school district budget that includes salaries and benefits for school district employees? IF THAT IS MISINFORMATION, NAME ONE SCHOOL DISTRICT ON LONG ISLAND THAT HAS THAT ARRANGEMENT.

It's misinformation that the typical benefits package for teachers has traditionally included ALL HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFITS BEING FULLY PAID FOR WITH NO EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION WHATSOEVER? We have discussed your wife's benefits plan and found that in her school district teachers do contribute. However, YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ARRANGEMENT FOR ALL THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON LONG ISLAND. This type of bennie is a very typical Long Island teacher perk (just as with police officers) and as far as I know, THE SCHOOL DISTRICT PAYING FOR ALL THE COST OF THE TEACHER'S HEALTH INSURANCE WITH NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED HAS NOT BEEN DISCONTINUED IN ALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS ON LONG ISLAND JUST BECAUSE IT HAS IN YOUR WIFE'S SCHOOL DISTRICT. So unless you know that for a fact every single school district has stopped this long-standing tradition, please refrain from outbursts to the contrary. Thank you for your cooperation.

Let's look at what you said below.

So, in the hot-headed world of I_Love_LI_But, every budget that comes up, every year, we should put teachers salaries and benefits up on the chopping block for every knee jerker to cut? That's a recipe for something SPECTACULAR to happen with our schools, Einstein. "Well, I only want to pay $500 in property taxes per year, so teachers should make 20K!!!"

In the same way the police salaries are determined through a contract, so are teachers. There is a reason WHY they are determined that way, and not by people who desire to cut taxes no matter what the consequences. You get to vote on what they get when you elect a school board. You elect a representative to make an informed decision for you.

Also, unless you know the fact that my wifes district is THE ONLY district that has raised employee medical contribution, you should refrain from going around the internet saying it is, comprende'? Otherwise, you are spreading misinformation. Something tells me that the truth isn't up there as high on your list of priorities as your agenda.

Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but They mean that when the budget comes up for vote by the public, there are certain sacred things that do not come up in the vote such as salaries and benefits of the people that work for the school district. The things that do come up in the vote affect the children. So if you vote against the school budget you are taking away from the children while the administrators, unions, etc., have it set up so that nothing is ever taken away from them in terms of salaries and benefits. They have "theirs" all wrapped up because the public is not allowed to vote on what they get. Plus, they get what they want FIRST (ex.: not having to contribute even a penny to health benefits like the rest of the working world does, etc.) and the children of the school district get the leftovers.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Call and e-mail your elected reps.

There needs to be a county wide move to centralize most aspects of the school system....school boards will resist until the end..jobs, political patronage will all go away, but that's what we need.

Demand that the county refuse to sign any police contract that does not significantly cut salaries or benefits down to something respectable.

Push you national reps to repeal NCLB ...it's a joke.

Call you state reps and demand audits for all school and fire districts to see where money is leaking.

Stay involved.

Support Levy's stand on illegal immigration and don't let special interests destroy what he's done because one knuckle-headed thug stabbed a guy in Patchogue.
Won't work. Many folks been doing that for many years but nothing changes. We left 4.5 years ago because the longer you stay on LI, the lower your standard of living becomes.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Well, what I meant is that 100K means a lot of money for the rest of the country. I do know that it's not enough to live here.
And that's where our dilemma lies. People on here are complaining that many teachers and police officers on Long Island make $100K plus, YET there is that pesky fact that it takes more money to live here and raise a family, so it is counterintuitive to say that $100K is too big of a salary. However, many people on Long Island who mostly work in the dog eat dog non-unionized private sector are disgusted that they must fund a lifestyle they themselves cannot afford for public sector employees like teachers and police officers.

Basically the only thing that saves the taxpaying "middle class" of Long Island right now is that most of them bought a home when homeownership was still affordable on a middle class salary on Long Island. If everybody who owns a home now suddenly owned no property to sell to raise any cash (were first time homebuyers) and had to buy their home at current market prices, give a decent cash downpayment (10%-20%), have the closing costs ready in cash, and had to qualify for traditional mortgages (not liar loans), how many really could afford to own a home? Not a majority, I would wager. So things could be much worse in this housing market that homeowners are complaining about because values are "dropping."

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
One thing that really pisses me off is that I am paying for section 8 housing, medicare and other services for deadbeat losers trying to skate the system.
I am not talking about people who honestly, sincerely and legitimately need these services, I'm talking about the scumbags who milk these benefits, and go out and work off the books for cash and think it's a big joke that they are paying $80 a month towards their rent. Ha ha *******, real funny, you're so cool because you're getting over on "the man". I am tired of carrying you. I am out busting my ass to make a living and can barley afford what I have, and you are living on the tit.
Do any of you have an idea of what the counties and the state are laying out for this crap? It's ridiculous.
Then there's just the lazy bastards who wont get a job, why? because they don't have to that's why. The government puts a roof over their head, feeds them, and pays their medical bills. Who pays the bill, we do. It comes out of our taxes.
So, I strongly feel this an area that needs reform.
If it will make you feel any better, there is currently not much Section 8 housing on Long Island and not much to come as there are rarely any new vouchers available. Also there has been significant welfare reform (for U.S. citizens) starting with Clinton's presidency. The biggest welfare offenders are the offspring of non-taxpaying off-the-books illegal aliens. That is a problem that has not been reformed and is growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island