Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM

44 posts, read 109,695 times

Advertisements

Seems like a pointless thing to complain about. Just press cancel and realize that money is what makes everything the way it is. If you don't like it, tough! You can't go through life without using money, and now it seems like wherever you turn, you have to pay extra money to use your money. Its ridiculous but thats the banking industry! My friend is a mortgage banker and when someone asks him what he does for a living this is what he says: "I sell money!" Think about it. Imagine if someone said hey i'll sell you a dollar for 2 dollars, would you say yes? haha pretty funny when you think about it. Or if you really want to blow your mind on our banking system watch all 5 parts of this video, it'll take about an hour so you might want to get a snack and a drink
YouTube - Money As Debt (1 of 5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why don't you inform the cashier that you want to use the card as a credit card rather than debit card before swiping it? Then they can either swipe the card on their register instead of having you swipe it or press a button and let the customer's swiping machine know that. I have noticed that many of the swipe machines automatically "detect" if it is a debit card and default that way, just like it would detect if it you were using a credit card and would default to that.
S&S doesn't have a swiper on the cashier side of the registers, and punching in the card requires a manager.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
S&S doesn't have a swiper on the cashier side of the registers,
That's for your protection, to avoid identity theft (as much as possible)

Quote:
and punching in the card requires a manager.
I ask a lot of questions ; once, when I used a card that didn't swipe and the manager appeared annoyed, upon my question he told me that it costs the store extra if they key in the number...
And FYI, supermarkets have a very low profit margin, so keeping costs down and volume up is what it's all about

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
My old bank used to do the charge-as-foreign-ATM-for debit thing. (I won't name it, because honestly, I can't remember whether it was my last bank or the one before that, and it may have been some time ago.) It killed me, because debit with PIN is cheapest for the bank to process as well! All charges are based on how it's processed and whether it goes though Visa/MC (credit) or Maestro/NYCE (debit). That's what determines charges.

Now I'm with HSBC, and debit is free, which is great. PIN is more secure than signature (many European countries use chip-and-PIN for credit as well), faster, and the charges hit the bank faster so it's easier to keep track.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
S&S doesn't have a swiper on the cashier side of the registers, and punching in the card requires a manager.
I see. I don't shop at that chain. I think the OP's real problem is their bank charging them to make a debit transaction.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
I have noticed this too as well. Happened to me at Pathmark (again) today, at the automated checkout. I clicked credit on the screen and then it asked me for a PIN, and hit cancel. After I tried again it happened a 2nd time and I just walked out without buying anything.
What these supermarkets are doing needs to be investigated, I suggest filing a complaint with the county or state consumer affairs dept.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I see. I don't shop at that chain. I think the OP's real problem is their bank charging them to make a debit transaction.

But it should be up the the buyer how they want to pay. It's easier to use it as a credit, and if I press credit then it damn well better put it through as credit. It's called "bait and switch".
It's like you're buying something that is supposed to cost $1 but you get charged $2. Pathmark is notorious for this too. Imagine all the people who don't know about this "debit card trick", they find alot of $$ missing from their bank account for "debit charges". Maybe they run their account down to zero with the bills because they are struggling, only to see an overdraft because of a debit charge? What these supermarkets are doing is ILLEGAL and needs to be investigated!
As for the bank, most banks charge for use as a debit card since it's like going to another bank's ATM, since the debit option can be used to withdraw cash.
I dont care for Stop and Shop anyway since they have a lousy selection of fresh baked and prepared goods, they sell mostly pre-packaged stuff loaded up the gazoo with preservatives, yuck.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 AM

119 posts, read 452,027 times
lol people whose banks charge them to use their debit card are stupid. Why are u with a bank that charges u for something petty like that? Also if you know that stores ask you twice for credit or debit, heres 2 ideas... Get over it or pay with cash.. Now if you need help with finding a free bank, try TD, Wamu, chase or 95% of the other banks on Long Island.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:51 AM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LjStC View Post
lol people whose banks charge them to use their debit card are stupid. Why are u with a bank that charges u for something petty like that? Also if you know that stores ask you twice for credit or debit, heres 2 ideas... Get over it or pay with cash.. Now if you need help with finding a free bank, try TD, Wamu, chase or 95% of the other banks on Long Island.
Also Bank of America (though they may nickle and dime you for everything else).

If I were to choose a bank right now, it would probably be Chamu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: