Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times

Advertisements

I've owned houses with oil heat since the early 1970s and this is the first time I'm hearing about this procedure, so am wondering if it's accurate:

The COD delivery guy we began using this year (I used to always use either Petro or Slomins, ugh) has told me twice now that the oil burner should be turned off before and during any oil delivery "to avoid problems." Supposedly it's because the delivery process stirs up sludge and gunk that's in the bottom of the tank (this one is a 550 underground, as was my last one; the house before that had a 250? gal in the basement) and if the burner is running the sludge will get sucked into the line and clog up the nozzle and filters. But as I said, I've gone 30+ years without ever doing that and never had problems so naturally I'm skeptical of why the procedure should be any different now....

So I'm wondering how many people actually do turn off their burners when they get deliveries? Have you ever had heating system problems that were caused by not turning it off? Obviously when I got automatic deliveries I never knew when they were coming and so the burner was never turned off, but with the COD guy I am sometimes home and sometimes not (in which case I leave his check in a prearranged place).

If you do turn your burner off for oil deliveries, how long do you wait before turning it on again?

He also recommended adding an additive to the tank the next time it gets filled. I did some Googling and found that opinions are mixed as to the advisability of using these so-called sludge dissolvers. Some sites say it can actually cause clogging of the filters by the resulting sediment; others say it's just a waste of money and does nothing significant; and others say it's practically the greatest thing since sliced bread (naturally these are sites who "sell" the products in some way). Has anyone used one of these additives and subsequently had heating problems afterward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Not necessary.
First, your tank would have to be empty or damn near close to empty to kick up enough tank slop. This is why you have a filter on your unit. The filter traps the contaminants from reaching the gun. Worst case, if you constantly run the tank low, the only thing that would happen would be more frequent filter changes.

Take it from someone who knows...Ha...
I went through a real tough financial period a few years back. I was running my burner on pump diesel most of the time, and if I got lucky, I'd find someone doing an oil to gas conversion and get the oil for free for emptying the tank for them.
And mostly, it was sludgey slop from 1/4 or less tanks.
Anyway, I would routinely run out of fuel every few days, and damn it, it always ran out in the middle of the night! Always.
One time I didn't change the filter for 2 years, my fault for being an idiot. That was the only time I had an issue, and when I changed the filter and nozzle it ran like new again. My point being that nothing bad ever happened. So don't worry about turning it off during a delivery.
Just make sure your burner is serviced properly once or twice a year. You can't put a price on routine maintenance.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I have to agree that it is best to turn it off and let it settle. If you do a fill with the system on and then with it off you will see a big difference in your oil filter. The anti-sludge isnt a bad thing either. Just dont abuse it!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
I don't turn mine off for deliveries, but may start.

I did have a problem a year so back.... with a clog that happened when I refilled. but I also ran it down a lot so it probably dredged up a lot. We blewback the line and changed the filter and we were fine.

I generally put the anti-sludge treatment in my tank when I fill, its old and I'm sure there is a bunch in there.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I used to do that with my old inside tanks which had plenty of sludge. I have a new inside tank now so I no longer shut off the burner.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
Interesting. I have run into this issue TWICE this winter when my oil company has delivered oil. I also have a 550 gallon tank and I used to fill it to the max when oil was reasonable but now I do it in much smaller increments and every time I would get oil, I would end up with problems for the same reasons you mentioned. I was also advised to turn off the boiler before they deliver and wait at most one hour afterwards (this way all the sludge that is stirred up after they fill the tank will settle) and then turn back on the boiler. It became very annoying because I would have to shut the boiler off and have someone come out and clean the filter.

My oil man also has a note on my account to *long fill* my tank (not exactly sure what it means) but I think it means that they have to put the oil in very slowly. He said sometimes the deliveryman may not long fill it which would also cause an issue. Long filling takes longer. I am not sure if that is an option with your company but maybe it is something you can ask about.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I would also add a quart of sludge treatment prior to delivery. The force of the fill helped it to work on the sludge.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
after talking to a few diff. technicians & delivery people, I decided to do this too. Turn it off right before they fill & wait 2 hrs. I have little to lose with this routine.

what I don't understand is that if there is really lots of sludge or crap in the bottom? After a few yrs or decades, wouldn't it just get more & more slop twds the bottom? Like hotkarl said, isn't that what the filter is for? I do def. agree preventative maint. is always critcal with any mechanisms

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
How can you load this sludge treatment ?

Where can I get it ?

Had a puff back, last January, and when the serviceman came, there was a clog between the tank and the burner, in the line.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
How can you load this sludge treatment ?

Where can I get it ?

Had a puff back, last January, and when the serviceman came, there was a clog between the tank and the burner, in the line.
You pour it in the tank, it's like the same thing as a fuel additive for your car or truck. Plumbing supply place should carry it. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes too, but I prefer to get it from the same place the pro's go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island