Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 22,482 times

Advertisements

First Time Poster here and looking to buy my first home in the near future and would like all the help I can get (who doesn't). Has anyone used the Suffolk County Downpayment Assistance Program? (Link Below) If so how long did it take to get and was it hard to get?

Also does anyone know of any other type of programs that I can apply for to help with closing costs or downpayment or anything of the sort in Suffolk county. I am a Vet and will be getting a VA Loan so if anyone knows of any other things I can apply for that can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for a Realtor to show me an my wife around some of the houses we seem to like so far. Is Tom still one of the better choices for the Deer Park area? I did search the forum and his was one of the names that popped up.

Thanks
Zac

Suffolk County Government - Downpayment Assistance Program (http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Home/departments/Housing/communitydevelopment/Downpayment%20Assistance%20Program.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
I hear Tom is the best.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
You can't go wrong with Elke

Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacAFSSgt View Post
First Time Poster here and looking to buy my first home in the near future and would like all the help I can get (who doesn't). Has anyone used the Suffolk County Downpayment Assistance Program? (Link Below) If so how long did it take to get and was it hard to get?

Also does anyone know of any other type of programs that I can apply for to help with closing costs or downpayment or anything of the sort in Suffolk county. I am a Vet and will be getting a VA Loan so if anyone knows of any other things I can apply for that can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for a Realtor to show me an my wife around some of the houses we seem to like so far. Is Tom still one of the better choices for the Deer Park area? I did search the forum and his was one of the names that popped up.

Thanks
Zac

Suffolk County Government - Downpayment Assistance Program (http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Home/departments/Housing/communitydevelopment/Downpayment%20Assistance%20Program.aspx - broken link)

Zac, most of the "assistance" programs are income driven, and you can't exceed their income guidelines. Don't know what your income is (and wouldn't ask on a public forum )

Right now, there is still the first time homeowner tax credit - you get a 10% (temporary) tax credit, up to a max of $7,500. It expires later this year.

If you're a vet and are getting a VA loan, I guess you know that you qualify for a zero down mortgage? Not that it's necessarily the best way to go, but at least you don't have to worry about the downpayment.

BTW, as a vet you can also apply for the vet exemption, in addition to STAR, so that'll help keep your RE taxes down...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

ZacAFSSgt/Tom, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 AM

5 posts, read 22,482 times
I understand that there income requirements on most of them but I was just looking for a list of em or if anyone knew of any others besides the Suffolk Downpayment Assistance program or Sony Mae. Also does anyone know how much percentage wise I would be getting off my taxes or a rough estimate? Just wanna use that to try and better calculate my monthly payment.

Thanks again,
Zac

Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You can't go wrong with Elke
I must agree with this, too.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacAFSSgt View Post
I understand that there income requirements on most of them but I was just looking for a list of em or if anyone knew of any others besides the Suffolk Downpayment Assistance program or Sony Mae. Also does anyone know how much percentage wise I would be getting off my taxes or a rough estimate? Just wanna use that to try and better calculate my monthly payment.

Thanks again,
Zac
That varies from program to program - too much to list on this Forum. In my opinion, you should sit down with a professional; a mortgage person or a Realtor with solid mortgage experience.

Re your tax question, I'll make it as simple as possible (I know, that's an oxymoron!).
I'm assuming you're referring to the tax deductibility of RE taxes and mortgage interest? That's an itemized deduction on Schedule A of your 1040, which reduces your taxable income; the exact percentage depends on your marginal tax rate (at whatever rate your next dollar will be taxed).

Because of the Alternative Minimum Tax ("AMT"), some of the potential savings could go out the window, as I just discovered when I plugged some "what if" scenarios into my 2008 tax software...

Sorry, no simple answers, as they say: it all depends...

BTW, I made a mistake/typo in my last post: the tax credit is up to 1% of the purchase price, not 10%--sorry about that extra zero...

Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I must agree with this, too.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tom

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Son got this grant 2 years ago. Took about 6 months from time he applied till he went to closing. Was a lot of paper work but will worth it he got 14,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island