Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
....The building restrictions/code enforcement procedures exist to ensure that residents are following the rules - and I see no harm in that, it is for the betterment of the community.....

Hmmmmmmm..."procedures exist to ensure that residents are following the rules"...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Hmmmmmmm..."procedures exist to ensure that residents are following the rules"...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I'm talking about building code...not general crime. We don't have our own police department here so I make no claims that it is better here than other areas in that respect. And remember, we have the Smithhaven Mall and a lot of businesses here, so I am not surprised that the Larceny category is worse than average across NYS. All the other categories are better or similar to average across NYS.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default Not all villages are the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
It's like enhancing a turd with sprinkles, AND A FLOWER !

The surrounding locality should "counter" their extra services, with a sur charge, that would make up for "what" the special villages are "getting" or "saving" on, by not being part of the general population.

It's not like ALL of these, wouldn't be able to afford it, either. ALL of them, are usually affluent "snobs", that should be taxed out of existence !at a higher rate for the essential Life services, that they, basically, "steal" from other governmental entities.

If they want to be better than everyone else, LET EM SUFFER MORE AND PAY FOR IT ! People like wouldn't mind paying more...it would just make them feel MORE SPECIAL !

SO SLAM 'EM MORE !
Some of your anti village comments are interesting but I do not think you understand how a village funds itself.

The village of Amityville for instance has its own police force. The people living in Amityville pay extra taxes - its their decision.

People outside the village, in Copiague, North Amityville or East Massapequa etc do not pay for the Amityville village police.

In any cases people living in many older villages such as Hempstead, Amityville, Farmingdale, Lindenhurst, Babylon, Patchogue, Mineola, Westbury etc are hardly "affluent snobs".

What makes these villages interesting is that all of them try to mantain a downtown area that contrasts with many of the unincorporated hamlets, many of which are classic suburban sprawl.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Not all hamlets are suburban sprawl of course and you find some nice downtown or business districts in some of them. Sayville, Smithtown, Huntington, Merrick, Bellmore and the improving Bayshore come to mind.

But I noticed a long time ago most of the nice old fashioned towns seem to have their own local governments - villages.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
I think that's for historical reasons, rather than any advantage of village government. Places that were developed in the era where real town centers developed were more likely to incorporate as villages because towns had so little power then. It made a lot more sense. Newer-build areas were farmland back when towns did nothing, so had no reason to incorporate. When they did build there, they built in the style of the time. It's all about when the area was built rather than the type of government it has now.

Many newer villages, especially along the North Shore (Muttontown, the Brookvilles, etc) exist mainly for zoning purposes--they have no downtowns either.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I'm talking about building code...not general crime. We don't have our own police department here so I make no claims that it is better here than other areas in that respect. And remember, we have the Smithhaven Mall and a lot of businesses here, so I am not surprised that the Larceny category is worse than average across NYS. All the other categories are better or similar to average across NYS.

Get out that yellow measuring ribbon, Minnie !

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 54,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
So I guess Middle Village and Queens Village were the Huntington Village of the gilded age, in name at least? I'd love to score a pre-NYC Queens map somewhere. How about Brooklyn? I know Williamsburg and "Brooklyn" (area centered around Brooklyn Heights/Downtown Brooklyn) were cities, pre-merger....how about the villages of Kings County?

How about the other boroughs, does that book have that info?

I thought Green Acres Mall was in Valley Stream, but when I looked it up just now it appears that the village boundary actually runs through the parking lot, right behind Target.....however, the main property - the actual "mall" part of it, despite not falling within the boundaries of the village is listed as paying taxes to the village...but only a very small amount....never seen anything like that.

So I'd say, in conclusion, that an extremely tiny part of Green Acres Mall's parking lot is within the Village of Valley Stream however the majority of the building is in South Valley Stream, which is news to me.

i recently was speaking to one of the village officials about this subject. I was told that the only part of the "Green Acres Mall" that pays taxes to the village are the stores that are ON sunrise highway, for ie: sleepys, red lobster, and formerly circuit city. Every other store including everything in the mall pays taxes to the town of Hempstead, which when you think about it sucks for the incorporated village. We are known for being the home of Green Acres and yet we really arent. We dont even get the millions of tax dollars from these institutions.

satr

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satr View Post
i recently was speaking to one of the village officials about this subject. I was told that the only part of the "Green Acres Mall" that pays taxes to the village are the stores that are ON sunrise highway, for ie: sleepys, red lobster, and formerly circuit city. Every other store including everything in the mall pays taxes to the town of Hempstead, which when you think about it sucks for the incorporated village. We are known for being the home of Green Acres and yet we really arent. We dont even get the millions of tax dollars from these institutions.

The similar complaint is often heard in the Village of Garden City because the Roosevelt Field Mall, while having a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address is in the Hamlet of East Garden City and pays no property tax to the Village of Garden City.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satr View Post

satr
does the village predate the construction of the mall?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The similar complaint is often heard in the Village of Garden City because the Roosevelt Field Mall, while having a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address is in the Hamlet of East Garden City and pays no property tax to the Village of Garden City.
Lake Grove has a similar issue; the village boundary runs right through the middle of the mall. Everything on the western side of this boundary is actually in the hamlet of Nesconset with a Lake Grove zip code. So the village does not get any of the property tax revenue from all the new stores that opened recently: Cheesecake Factory, Dick's, CPK, Barnes & Noble, etc., it would all go to Town of Smithtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island