Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

When you say "all north east" what do you mean exactly? Your not including Pennsylvania, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Yes, but taxes all over the Northeast are high. High costs and high salaries are by far the biggest contributor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
NY as a whole gets much less tax revenue back from the federal govt than they pay in. This is true for the northeast as a whole as well, while the south gets back much more from the federal government than it pays in.

Schools generally have too many admins and too many layers, the high cost of living here also results in higher teacher salaries. Long Island because it generally has higher income levels than the rest of the country tends to get even a lower % of the money paid in back. Explosion in health care costs have also resulted in higher property taxes, the non funding of NCLB is another culprit. Also the fact that Long Island as a whole has among the best schools in the entire country is going to result in higher taxes, and about 2/3 of the property taxes here on LI are school taxes.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
The taxes in mu community are so high because of these 3 institutions, all of which need to be abolished and merged or heavily reformed.

the volunteer fire service

http://www.coplogic.com/news/suffolk-county-ny-police-department-chooses/image (broken link)
Suffolk County Police Department

http://www.wi.k12.ny.us/images/1wisquare.gif (broken link)
West Islip Public Schools

Reform the volunteer fire service into a 75% career/25% volunteer force organized on the township level; ex. Town of Islip Fire Department.

Abolish the county police department and go back to township police departments with the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office and the New York State Police providing any necessary support and services.

Reform the school districts into township level school districts; ex. Town of Islip Public Schools

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
When you say "all north east" what do you mean exactly? Your not including Pennsylvania, right?
Parts of PA do pay high taxes. NEPA doesn't, but around Philly it's not that cheap. I've read threads where people in Delaware County say they're paying $7K on average houses. PA works out cheaper in part because the state income tax is lower (one calculator said we'd be several hundred better off a month there) though Philly has a wage tax.

NJ property tax is higher than NY, and has a hefty graduated income tax as well. CT, MA, NH are all high. I don't know anyone in RI.

All northeastern states rank high on the tax burden list, though NH has no income tax which does help.

ETA: here's a thread from the Philly forum comparing taxes on both sides of the Delaware:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...omparison.html

Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Rhode Island is up there with the property taxes too. I've also heard RI has wicked corruption problem as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
The person in Bayside is paying less because they're also paying city income tax (2.9 - 3.6%). if we paid local income tax, we could have lower property taxes as well. The overall tax burden in NYC is not lower, except possibly for retirees who are property-rich and cash poor.

NYC generates plenty of commercial tax revenue, and the slide is one of the reasons the state is in such trouble now--the budget was reliant on all the Wall Street revenue.
I forgot about that

Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Yeah, I guess it depends on where you are in Del. Co.? My family pays on average $2200/year for their 2000 sq. ft home on a .25 acre in Del. Co.

Quote:
Parts of PA do pay high taxes. NEPA doesn't, but around Philly it's not that cheap. I've read threads where people in Delaware County say they're paying $7K on average houses. PA works out cheaper in part because the state income tax is lower (one calculator said we'd be several hundred better off a month there) though Philly has a wage tax.

NJ property tax is higher than NY, and has a hefty graduated income tax as well. CT, MA, NH are all high. I don't know anyone in RI.

All northeastern states rank high on the tax burden list, though NH has no income tax which does help.

ETA: here's a thread from the Philly forum comparing taxes on both sides of the Delaware:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...omparison.html

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
I just moved from Baldwin 1400 sft on a 50 x 100 (.10) lot paying $10,800 to Midlothian,VA 4900 sft on a .59 lot and paying $4,400 a year in taxes. Big difference from a house that was built in 1929 and one that was built in 2006. 3x's the house 5x's the lot and 60% less in taxes.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
I own a condo in Austin, TX, and my RE taxes (in addition to HOA fees) are just under $4,200... considering that prices are a lot lower than here, that's a lot of money for taxes IMHO

Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Out here in Medford we are paying the highest fire tax. Our fire tax is over $2000 per year.

Add that to a total of over $10,000 in taxes per year.

Now add the fact that my kids go to parochial school and we get no credit for that on our taxes. Yes, its my choice to send them there, but if the school districts was better, I would send them there. So in a way, I have no choice

So in essence, the school district gets a free ride on my kids!! The fire taxes get a free ride on our development as it has been here once in the past year.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island