U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,923,681 times

Advertisements

Which mortgage companies are you getting your mortgage from? Our real estate lawyer advised us not to use Trump Financial since they're a brokerage and not a lender. He said most people he knows use Wells Fargo. The guy we spoke to at Trump said that since we're teachers, we wouldn't get any addition charges (which the lawyer said would happen). But should we trust him? I don't know what to think. We should decide really soon since the interest rates are very low.

Also, would it be bad to get another pre-approval after we've gotten about 3? We're worried about our credit rating going down. Would it be bad for our rating if we got approved by Wells fargo?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,433,257 times
Why don't you try the Teachers Federal Credit Union? Their 30 year rate is 4.625

Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,278,587 times
I don't know much about Trump Mortgage except that a guy from there made an appointment with me under false pretenses, so I will never recommend him.

You're right that the more your credit report gets run, the lower your FICO score can go down. But, if there are several inquiries bunched together, it does not hurt it much. They understand that people shop around for mortgages.

Keep in mind that mortgages are basically commodity products, except if you have very unusual circumstances. You pretty much end up paying the same one way or the other, whether it is in rate or fees. It can get very frustrating, because you feel like you are comparing apples to oranges.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,398,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Also, would it be bad to get another pre-approval after we've gotten about 3?
Have you actually gotten a pre-APPROVAL (a Conditional Approval Letter) from those three banks, or just a pre-Qualification? The two are not the same thing, although too many bankers and realtors use the terms interchangeably.

In order to get a Pre-Approval you have to go through the same process as for applying for a mortgage: Pay the application fee, supply your bank account details, copies of your last years tax returns, documents proving all your other assets, etc. It's a lot more involved than just a loan officer plugging your Social Security numbers into some software, doing an instant credit/credit score check online, and putting whatever numbers you give him over the phone into a calculator program. A pre-Approval requires documentation of all information that you supply regarding your financial status.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Trump Financial is asking for our w-2's right now, so we're in the process of that.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM

67 posts, read 187,569 times
I have Wells Fargo and am happy with them. Had Washington Mutual and they were the absolute worst.. although I guess theyre not really an option anymore. Stay away from them or whatever they own or whatever name they may now be under.

I used the Manhattan Mortgage Co as a broker and was pleased with their service. At first I didn't think they were giving me the proper attention, so I got another broker involved.

That got their attention and they stuck to their word, even paying part of my appraisal fee when they quoted me at one price and it ended up being a couple hundred more. There were no tricks, we were at the closing table and I told them the price for the appraisal was not as quoted. They solved it right there with no hassles.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 PM

6,063 posts, read 12,193,482 times
Rachael didnt you already put a offer in on a home?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Yeah, we signed the contract and waiting for the sellers to sign it.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM

6,063 posts, read 12,193,482 times
Great & congrats! But shouldnt you be approved before the bid? What happens if you dont qualify for a loan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, we signed the contract and waiting for the sellers to sign it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM

I was told we'll qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island