Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 12,139 times

Advertisements

Hey i was wondering, just like the title says, which snow tubing resort is closest to long island. And is it any good or is it worth it to go to a further place. Any info would be helpful.. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
we just did snow tubing in tannersville, pa. it was awesome. took us about 2 and a half hours to get there from brookhaven. sooo worth it. kids loved it

Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Camelback - Snowtubing (http://www.skicamelback.com/SkiCamelback/Snowtubing.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggins10 View Post
Hey i was wondering, just like the title says, which snow tubing resort is closest to long island. And is it any good or is it worth it to go to a further place. Any info would be helpful.. thanks
Check out Tuxedo Ridge, the former Sterling Forest Ski area near Tuxedo, NY.
It's less than an hour (only 35 miles) from the GW bridge. Not sure if they have tubing on weekdays, but yes for weekends. Tuxedo Ridge - Skiing, Riding, and More!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Camelback - Snowtubing (http://www.skicamelback.com/SkiCamelback/Snowtubing.aspx - broken link)
Wow, Camelback has changed so much. I used to go there when I was a little kid. Before there was even a waterpark, they had this incredibly dangerous ride open in the summer that was sooo much fun. It was set up like a luge or bobsled course down the side of the mountain (I think it was actually just some kind of drainage ditch) but you would take the ski lift up, then sit in this little pinewood derby looking thing and FLY down. No steering, just a makeshift handbrake that you ABSOLUTELY needed to not get airborne. We hurt ourselves very bad on that thing but always walked away laughing. I'm sure somebody sued, possibly with good reason. No way something like that could exist in the new millenium.

How about Vernon Valley/Action Park in New Jersey? My parents took us there even more frequently, I remember it being fairly close....maybe like an hour-hour and a half drive. They definitely had snow tubing, I'm sure they still do. That place was a lot of fun....ski lodge had an amazing arcade!

Sorry this is O/T but while I'm reminiscing like an old fart here, does anybody know if the old Playboy Club/Great Gorge Resort still exists over there?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Sure has. We went to the waterpark this past summer and it was a really good time. If you plan on going just make sure its a week day..I hear the weekends are mobbed!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Wow, Camelback has changed so much. I used to go there when I was a little kid. Before there was even a waterpark, they had this incredibly dangerous ride open in the summer that was sooo much fun. It was set up like a luge or bobsled course down the side of the mountain (I think it was actually just some kind of drainage ditch) but you would take the ski lift up, then sit in this little pinewood derby looking thing and FLY down. No steering, just a makeshift handbrake that you ABSOLUTELY needed to not get airborne. We hurt ourselves very bad on that thing but always walked away laughing. I'm sure somebody sued, possibly with good reason. No way something like that could exist in the new millenium.
That sounds like an alpine slide. We've been on the one at Bromley in VT countless times; my son's friend ended up banking too high and his fleece pullover slide along the fiberglass slide. The fleece melted and he ended up with his arm being skinned about the size of a half dollar. Bromley has three different tracks -- beginner, medium and advanced

The older tracks were concrete. Back in HS we had a school trip to Action Park and we brought home 2 classmates who were really banged up after flying down the slide too fast.

The alpine slide in Bromley is open during the summers as part of the Thrill Zone. They are tame compared to the Deval Karts -- basically Devals are like riding Kett Cars down the side of the mountain. I didn't have the nerve!

Alpine Slide - Leading Maufacturer of Alpine SLides
Alpine Slide :: Bromley Mountain
View from the famous Bromley Mountain Alpine Slide Photo 10b9e0b - Buzznet

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That sounds like an alpine slide. We've been on the one at Bromley in VT countless times; my son's friend ended up banking too high and his fleece pullover slide along the fiberglass slide. The fleece melted and he ended up with his arm being skinned about the size of a half dollar. Bromley has three different tracks -- beginner, medium and advanced

The older tracks were concrete. Back in HS we had a school trip to Action Park and we brought home 2 classmates who were really banged up after flying down the slide too fast.

The alpine slide in Bromley is open during the summers as part of the Thrill Zone. They are tame compared to the Deval Karts -- basically Devals are like riding Kett Cars down the side of the mountain. I didn't have the nerve!

Alpine Slide - Leading Maufacturer of Alpine SLides
Alpine Slide :: Bromley Mountain
View from the famous Bromley Mountain Alpine Slide Photo 10b9e0b - Buzznet
YES!! That's exactly what it was....I've been trying to think of the name for over a decade! I thought they were unique to Camelback, didn't realize they had them anywhere else. Theirs were concrete and sunk into the ground on the side of the mountain. I would drive all the way up to Vermont to go on one of these, if they'd let me on at least. Do you happen to know if Action Park still has them?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
According to a few websites I've Googled, Mountain Creek in Vernon has an Alpine slide. I didn't happen to notice any mention of it on their website, though.

I had taken some spins on the one at Action Park 25+ years ago -- it was a lot of fun then, so much so that for years I couldn't wait to go on another alpine slide. The alpine slide is one of my top 10 summer things to do in Vermont every summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island