Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think the "they bring crime issue" is something which is a bit of a scapegoat and something which is overstated quite a bit considering that we are in the midst of the lowest crime rates in over 40 years here on LI. If crime was such a problem caused by illegal immigrants crime would have been going up here on Long Island over the last few years as the illegal immigration population has increased, instead crime has declined. Is there a bit of a cost issue? yes, but I think in pails in comparison as far as any impact in our economy compared to other issues such as what rolemodel was touching on.
... when it comes to illegal immigrants, this little boy would not be dead:

Day laborer gets life in NJ boy's slaying -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--boyslain-sentenci0206feb06,0,4231213.story - broken link)

Tell his parents that illegal immigrants aren't such a big problem. If that man wasn't here, this child would still be alive.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Illegal immigrants are probabally the easiest problems to fix if the government would man up and put their foot down. Even though it would cost a boatload of cash at first, the savings in the long run would be well worth it. All they would have to do then is keep 'em out

Just keep some duct tape on hand so when the pro-illegal immigrant protesters start blabbin's their mouths, just throw a strip of ole gray accross the kisser!

It narrows down to pc crap. Unfortunately everytime somebody tries to make a stand against illegal immigration the race card gets thrown into the mix.
Stop it already.
It's not about that, maybe to some, but for most of the people in this country it's about saving some money and quality of life issues. If it'll save me a few bucks, or better yet, make me worth a few more bucks out in the work force I'll even help round them up.It's the same old routine every time, some politician will step up to bat and then somebody yells "racist" and the politician immediately backs down.

When the race card gets thrown in it's like the little kid who holds his breath and passes out because he didn't get his way. Mommy feels horrible and gives in.

Stop playing the race card. That's cheating.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
And this kid could have been

NPR: Illegal Immigrant from Mexico Helps Crash Survivor (http://www.npr.org/blogs/news/2007/11/illegal_immigrant_from_mexico_1.html - broken link)

Regardless, my whole point is we aren't seeing this rise in crime (which some people try and suggest) as the illegal immigration population on LI has increased, an in fact we are at 40 year lows.

Now, in regards to the original topic the issue with illegal immigration has very little to do with our current economic problems.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
You should've been by Riverhead train station today, no less than 50 of 'em loitering at 10am. And all down LI Ave by Ocean too. I havent seen any of them going away, once you get a warm day like today they are out in full force.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
In other news...I'm going back to work tomorrow. Woo-hoo.
This is good, but I'm so far in the hole, it's gonna take 2 months to dig out. At least now I have a shovel to start digging!
And Cable is going to be clipping me between right this second and Thursday.
I wont get paid til Friday.
Roof-heat-electric=more important than News 12

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just keep some duct tape on hand so when the pro-illegal immigrant protesters start blabbin's their mouths, just throw a strip of ole gray accross the kisser!
Hey karl, hold smash down while I duct tape him ...

Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Now, in regards to the original topic the issue with illegal immigration has very little to do with our current economic problems.
What? They drive down wages for legal workers. Instead of spending their money in the community and supporting it, they send their money to foreign countries to contribute to that economy. They commit identity theft if they use a fake social security card and then make sure and put down so many "deductions" that practically no taxes are taken out. If no social security card is needed to work and they get cash, they pay nothing in taxes. They use social services. They have kids that are citizens of the USA and are entitled to full welfare from birth on. If they commit additional crimes (after commiting the crime of being an illegal alien) and are caught, they cost taxpayers money to take them to court and jail them. They drive uninsured vehicles and have accidents, which in turn causes the insurance costs to go up for those who are not illegal aliens and have insurance. And that's just for starters.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Why is it that some people can take any thread and turn it into a racist rant?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
in other news...i'm going back to work tomorrow. Woo-hoo.
great news!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Why is it that some people can take any thread and turn it into a racist rant?
Why are you crying RACIST?

There are plenty of white European ancestry illegal aliens too ... Irish, Eastern European, Russian, etc. ... and guess what? I don't want them around either. Immigrate the legal way ... pay the fees, take the medical exam, have the biographical background check to make sure you are not a terrorist or criminal, show that you will be able to support yourself here or that someone is willing to sponsor you ... or stay out. Period.

Why is that racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island