Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM

90 posts, read 302,740 times

Advertisements

Roy is in Elmont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
Roy is in Elmont
Then he ran the SeaRangers Batallion I attended once or twice YEARS ago and my brother became a part of. If I remember correctly, he was a paramedic or something. Very knowledgeable guy. I do not know why I never got involved because it was not like I did not like it. I guess I just did not consider making time for it. Stupid youth that I was.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM

He still is active and I believe he is staff for Elmont.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
Default The searanger's pledge

(Raise your right hand and repeat after me....)As a Sea Ranger, I will on my honor, obey the laws of God and my country. To obey my superior commands. To keep myself clean in mind and body at all times and to obey the laws that govern my community.
(Ready-Two!!!)

Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
Wow...I stumbled upon this site while looking up info on Woodstock's 40th anniversary when i was reminiscing about me and my dad driving up to Sundown NY to go camping that same weekend. We saw all the 'hippies' in their VW buses and the peace signs painted on their sides. I was one of the 'elite' Battalion 5 company commanders (Valley Stream) during my final years in the Sea Rangers. I had joined when i was 8 and continued on until i was 14 when we moved to Connecticut a year later. My dad was also involved as a Warrant officer for 5 or 6 years as well. I fondly remember every summer going to camp in Cochecton, NY and having a great time. We were usually in the 'advance party'...we went up a day early to clean up the barracks (we were usually surprised by a snake or two coiled up in the corner of some of them! One time there was a fully grown cotton-mouth in one of the huts...scary for an 11 year old). I also remember the little pond that was on the campgrounds with the rope over it...we'd grab hold and swing over the pond and jump in...right into the murkey waters filled with salamanders, toads and muck. I wouldn't trade those days for anything. Shooting was also a big part of the camp experience. We'd load up for bear and bring all our 22's, shotguns, etc. The neighbors must of been quite alarmed every afternoon when about 30 or 40 big caliber guns would be going off a half mile away!

We would have our Friday night meetings at Wheeler Ave. School. Our Battalion Commander shared the same last name as me and my dad, Coppola. Robert Coppola...he died back in the early 70's from a heart attack. His son too was involved as Lt. JG if i remember correctly, also Robert.

Some of my fondest and not so fond memories were from the Regimental Reviews that took place at Kings Point in the summer. We'd don our Class A's and march and drill for what seemed like hours in the mid-day sun. I remember kids dropping like fly's from the heat in those heavy woolen uniforms. As others have mentioned on this message board, Battalion 5 was always the heavy favorite to win each year. During my 6 years in the ASR, we never lost (1968 - 1974). My first year in Company A, while we were at Kings Point, we had a rifle drill where we lined up in a double row, both facing the same direction...the man on the front row would tap the butt of his rifle on the ground twice and then kick the stock of the rifle backwards and then throw the gun over his right shoulder. I was in the back row to catch it...well, the guy that threw it was a little off that day (probably because it was 98 degrees out) and the gun came hurtling back towards me with the muzzle facing me...i quickly grabbed it as best i could, but the muzzle caught me square in the middle of my open palm. I still have the scar to this day. We still won the competition, but that memory is etched upon my memory (and my hand) for ever...

Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
LOL - my husband found this site, and I'm pretty sure that I'm the sister of the originator of this thread!

My favorite Sea Ranger memories:

1) Leading my Battalion 19 Company A in our 1st place Trick Drill at Kings Point with the routine I developed, beating Battalion 14 !!! I'm not sure if we ever beat them in straight drill... perhaps only once. They were darn good at straight drill...

2) All those dreamy boys in Battalion 5... yes, I was boy-crazy... just ask my brother!

3) Sea Ranger Camp. "Company A," thanks for the memory of the rope swing over the pond - I had forgotten about that!!! Oh, the courage I had to work up the first time I tried it! I also remember how amazed I was when they taught us to gather water from condensation on a big clear plastic tarp-like thing. I thought it was a very important thing to know how to do, in case I'd ever need water for survival... I probably couldn't remember now how to do it if my life depended on it. ;-)

4) Dude Ranch.... did other battalions do this too?

5) Playing "Steal the Bacon" at meetings. What fun!!! Did other battalions do this too?

6) I thought Sea Rangers were WAY cooler than Girl Scouts!

7) Last, but not least, I recently came across 2 of our old rifles. I'm proud to say that they had starring roles in a recent performance of Annie Get Your Gun!!! ;-)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM

18 posts, read 70,610 times
Wink I too am an old Sea Ranger... I was in the Rosedale batallion adn yes the girls were downstairs in the cafeteria and the

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sea ranger View Post
I was a sea ranger many moons ago! back in the 50's and 60's. our meeting were held at ps138 in Rosedale, queens. my commander was mrs. palmesee, not sure of the spelling. boys met up stairs and the girls down stairs. i was in this orgaization for many yrs. it was the only thing"right" in my life at that time. i will forever be greatful to the men and women of the amercian sea rangers.........sue
I am an old Sea Ranger too. I was int he Rosedale battallion also. Girls downstairs in the cafeteria and the boys upstairs in the gym. I remember Mrs. Carallo, Mrs. Palmese, Mrs. Webb, Mrs. Ousey for the girls and Mr. Webb, who started the boys battalion back in the 50's, and Mr. Cippolino. I went on to the academy, the meetings were held in St. Albans, and Mr. Munson and Mr. Pasquale and I think Mr. Paternastro were in charge there. Wow, does this bring back memories. Let me know if anyone out there remembers other people from that time. Leslie W.

Last edited by Leslie W; 10-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Had to add my name

Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM

I am an old Sea Ranger too. I was int he Rosedale battallion also. Girls downstairs in the cafeteria and the boys upstairs in the gym. I remember Mrs. Carallo, Mrs. Palmese, Mrs. Webb, Mrs. Ousey for the girls and Mr. Webb, who started the boys battalion back in the 50's, and Mr. Cippolino. I went on to the academy, the meetings were held in St. Albans, and Mr. Munson and Mr. Pasquale and I think Mr. Paternastro were in charge there. Wow, does this bring back memories. Let me know if anyone out there remembers other people from that time. Leslie W.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Wink Leslie W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeag View Post
I joined the Sea Rangers in 1956 at age 8, left in 1970 at 22, Lt JG. I was the first Gold Master Chief in the ASR. Was with Batt 7 Martin Van Buren for many years and met my wife Pam in 1961 on our annual easter trip that year we went to Valley Forge, PA. She was with the girls battalion in Rosedale, which had much to do with my transfer to the band a year later which by chance also met at the same school PS138 in Rosedale. We will be married 40 years this november. I helped to build the camp upstate, dug the latrine pit with John Sconhoff, Gary Palmese, and Guy Farinara who was killed in VietNam in 1968 with the US Marines. Remember the reviews at Kings Point very well and the annual trips. Those were great days that had a major influence on my life. Thanks to Comdr Jim Lyons, Capt John Schonhoff, Cmdr Joe Ousey, Cmdr Bill Arm. Ralph Meagher, Mineral, VA
I remember you and I remember Pam. I was a member of the girls battalion in Rosedale also and went on to the academy where meeting were held in St. Albans, I believe. The girls battalion nailed 1st place every year (for many years) in all 3 (straight, rifle and trick drill) out at Kings Point. I remember Mr. Ousey, Jim Lyons, and the rest. My father was one of the founders of the boys battalion in Rosedale and my mother was involved with the girls battalion along with Mrs. Carallo, Mrs. Palmese and Mrs. Ousey.Do you keep in touch with anyone? Would love to chat about old times! Say hi to Pam.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Can anyone tell me where exactly is the camp upstate? Or at least the location of where it was? I would like to take a drive to there.
I remember going up there in the late 60s. we also visited Farmer brown who, I believe, had a small farm adjoining the camp. I also remember the pond. I remember there were bungalows and a canteen up the hill behind them. The officers (and my parents too, for that matter) slept in the house down the hill from the bungalows and near the pond. That's how I remember it.

A mention of Kings Point.
As young 11 year-olds, my twin brother and I were in the ASR for only a few years. I remember the first time we were at Kings point. We were amazed there were so many other Rangers. And that there were other battalions. during the review, it became very hot. We were all standing at attention and having recently seen the movie Zulu, thought it was kinda cool to see fellow kids dropping like flies for the heat. I remember thinking it was like in the movies where the ranks were getting thinned but the discipline was still there. Isn't that crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island