Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sad but true Mike.

You really lose your right to complain if you dont show up to vote.

crooks
It's understandable.

It's not a "SEXY" topic to get you out of your warm home, about, or on the way back from work.

I feel that the Economy will change this...there is just too much pressure on the pocketbook, and these freespending "community leaders" are having their last days of silly spending.

The double dipping scandal put a crimp in their "special thing"....they want to keep it on the Down Low !

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-13-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
I completely understand the premise but its still a tough sell Beehave.

Who wants to excuse the top 1% in this economy?

One might argue that the stregth of your schools has everything to do with them being your neighbor politically.
Thats a Rich mans piece of legislation and I doubt Englebright will find much sympathy for it.

I'm rootin' for you though.
If it dont work out you can always come home to your peeps in RP

Good luck

crooks
The bigger shame right now would be not to try to pass this -- tough sell or not. The worst that can happen is "NO" and we're right back where we started.

If that's the case, I hang tight and grieve my taxes like everyone else.

If all else fails and the economy falls out from beneath us -- let me know if you see any cute ca. 1920 cottages, unmolested, min 2 car garage, on 1/2 acre plus out in RP.

To paraphrase Mr.Rogers, "Won't you be my peeps?"

Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
STICK IT to the top 1%, and I am sure that the "free spending" school districts would be a little bit tighter around budget time.
The top 1% don't influence the district's spending. Their income/property values do, however, impact a district's state aid when their values are entered into the equation.

During the last TV budget vote, the school which handles voters from Old Field, Poquott and Strongs Neck (the affluent portions of the district) had the most NO votes. The top X% said NO. They don't want 'free spending" -- they want accountability, they want the budget reigned in, they want reasonable taxes like ALL of us.

FWIW My friend in OF is paying $34K + OF village taxes each year. She's (and many others in OF) paying some of the highest taxes in the TV by a large margin. How much more would you suggest the SD "stick it to her?"

The mindless sheep who constantly vote "YES" because it's for the children are the ones who drive the spending to highter levels.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Ill take it a sterp further, thanks to GWB the top 1% made out like bandits on his watch.

I would argure that those districts should get less aid so that working class and poorer districts can get more relief right now.
To see Englebright hat in hand right now turns my stomach."Oh the poor kids of Old Field are forced to drive a used Mercedes becuse of the crushing tax burden of thier parents Mansion".

Its cute that theyd be willing to forego the bottom 1% too, only problem with that is the bottom 1% in some of these districts make 100k and have Dental.

Please.

crooks
The used Mercedes analogy is sensationalistic; let's stick with reality.

The bottom 1% of the area includes many seniors on fixed incomes, and many households which have both spouses working to stay afloat. They're not just in South Setauket. My in laws, my adult nieces and nephews, and several of my neighbors would figure into the bottom or lower rung.

I WISH we had dental.

Your arguement about less aid would cripple a district like TV which has minimal commercial to tax, a huge university in the middle not paying taxes but sending children to the school district. Granted the upper 1% could afford another increase, but there are plenty in the remaining 99% who can not.

This doesn't apply only to this district -- how many other people in other districts can afford yet another tax increase?

Another thing everyone has to bear in mind is how much of our collective tax money makes it up t Albany, but never comes home to LI?

If people want to go after the very wealthy, they should go after ALL of them -- the wealthy Manhattanites, everyone, not just those of us who, by virtue of our proximity to wealthy people, are getting the short end of the stick.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
, by virtue of our proximity to wealthy people, are getting the short end of the stick.

...but arguably more Political and Educational clout by virtue of wealth Campaign donors.

It all comes out in the wash Beehave.
Its really economics that builds/breaks a district.

3V is well taken care of, always has been.
After that is financial darwinism.

Like I said before....we love to have you back in town

crooks

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
...but arguably more Political and Educational clout by virtue of wealth Campaign donors.

It all comes out in the wash Beehave.
Its really economics that builds/breaks a district.

3V is well taken care of, always has been.
After that is financial darwinism.

Like I said before....we love to have you back in town

crooks
Just let me know when you see aforementioned cottage....

3V rose up with UHSB; no UHSB and 3V would be no different than many districts in the area.

The presence of SUNY has and will maintain a balanced populace -- there are many people living in the area who aren't doctors or upper admin on campus, but who either work for SUNY in support positions, or who work for those people in other fashions -- contractors, restaurant/deli owners, hardware stores, mechanics, etc. Many of us had the good fortune of getting into the area before things went crazy.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Just let me know when you see aforementioned cottage....

3V rose up with UHSB; no UHSB and 3V would be no different than many districts in the area.

The presence of SUNY has and will maintain a balanced populace -- there are many people living in the area who aren't doctors or upper admin on campus, but who either work for SUNY in support positions, or who work for those people in other fashions -- contractors, restaurant/deli owners, hardware stores, mechanics, etc. Many of us had the good fortune of getting into the area before things went crazy.
I agree in Stony Brook ...yes.

Rest of 3V not so much.

crooks

Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Does anyome know if SUNY Stony Brook makes any PILOT (Payment In Lieu Of Taxes) payments to the Three Village Central School District?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

SUNY Stony Brook main campus and UHSB does not.

There was legislation for a PILOT to be made on the land they seized at Gyrodyne through eminent domain, $210K on 246 acres of land. (approx $850 per acre) The seizure took land which was once taxed off the tax roles for both the Three Village and Smithtown School districts.
Governor approves Gyrodyne PILOT payments

Governor approves Gyrodyne PILOT payments
By Elizabeth W. Sobel[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

August 24, 2006 | 10:07 AM
Three Village and Smithtown school districts will receive PILOTs (payments in lieu of taxes) from New York State on the former Gyrodyne property acquired last year by Stony Brook University (SBU).

Last week Governor George Pataki signed into law the legislation sponsored by Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-Setauket) and Senator John Flanagan (R-East Northport). It will provide the school districts with annual property tax relief totaling $210,000, the amount lost due to the eminent domain acquisition by SBU.
------cut-------
When SBU acquired the 246-acre Gyrodyne property, also called Flowerfield, last year, it was removed from the tax roles. State-owned lands are exempt from property taxes, which may result in financial hardship to bordering school districts. The university has plans to build a research and development (R&D) campus on the site, beginning with the Center for Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT). Construction is expected to begin sometime this year, and just two weeks ago the entranceway onto Stony Brook Road was cleared. When completed, some private companies are expected to partner with SBU in R&D projects at the site.

------------------------------cut-----------------------
According to the justification section of both the Senate and Assembly bills, SBU represents 7.32 percent of the total assessed value of property within the Three Village school district, and taxes on the Gyrodyne land would equate to approximately $125,000 in annual revenue to the district. Likewise, Smithtown school district stood to lose approximately $84,000 annually on the small portion of land that lies within St. James.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The bigger shame right now would be not to try to pass this -- tough sell or not. The worst that can happen is "NO" and we're right back where we started.

If that's the case, I hang tight and grieve my taxes like everyone else.

If all else fails and the economy falls out from beneath us -- let me know if you see any cute ca. 1920 cottages, unmolested, min 2 car garage, on 1/2 acre plus out in RP.

To paraphrase Mr.Rogers, "Won't you be my peeps?"
Theres still a few really nice ones but sadly many have been McMansioned.

Rocky Point, NY, 11778 - MLS ID#2101946 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Rocky-Point_NY_11778_1101807196 - broken link)

My pick of the week.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island