Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,109,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Crooks is no snob. He just hasn't gotten out much lately.

The more I travel...thr more I love home.

Particularly the All American burger and the sarcasm.

; )

Dont hate Gpsma.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM

138 posts, read 269,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggling).

Crooks

Yes very true...but out of curiosity would you be able to afford your home on your salary now?

The difference is that on Long Island many of the people of the newer generation that are struggling have advanced degrees and skilled professions. The home prices do not match current salaries.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,578,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My responses (both inside and outside the quote box, in blue, bold)

No disrespect intended, but the blue is a bit tough on the eyes. Would you be so kind as to possibly use a darker color (forest green?) and a different font to indicate your responses?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

19,644 posts, read 20,449,048 times
For me, and I've probabally beaten this to death on this forum, it's not so much the high cost of living in and of itself, but paying through the behind and struggling AND dealing with the negativity, obnoxiousness, and arrogance of a large majority of the people. 95% of the people I encounter do not give a damn about anyone but themselves. Hell, you even glance in the remote direction of somebody and it's confrontational "what are you lookin at" "you got a problem"
And forget about driving. That is where people absolutely show their true colors.
I'm so sick of driving, I can't even get more than a block away from my house without some jackass tailgating me or blowing a stop sign in front of me. And I live in what is supposed to be a quiet off the beaten path residential area.

Somehow, this lead me to an observation I've noticed lately...
Does anybody else notice the lack of children playing in the street anymore?
I remember growing up and even up until the last decade probabally, how every other street would have a bunch of kids out either playing hockey or basketball or doing stunts on their bikes with homemade ramps etc...For some reason a little while back I realized that I do not see as many kids out playing either in the street or on the sidewalks on their street. Strange. And it's not just my neighborhood, I'm from end of the Island to the other every day, and I've definitely noticed the lack of children out playing.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,309,727 times
They're not allowed to go out and play anymore nor think of imaginative games to play. Now they have "play dates" and are told what to do. Everything is so structured nowadays.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,974,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I remember growing up and even up until the last decade probabally, how every other street would have a bunch of kids out either playing hockey or basketball or doing stunts on their bikes with homemade ramps etc...For some reason a little while back I realized that I do not see as many kids out playing either in the street or on the sidewalks on their street. Strange. And it's not just my neighborhood, I'm from end of the Island to the other every day, and I've definitely noticed the lack of children out playing.
I've been preaching the largest reason for my leaving is the bleak future and to fine tune that it's mostly my situation of having young kids. LI just isn't a top place to raise a middle class family anymore. This is ultimately what the main issue is for me. The corrupt school districts, never ending budget cuts taking sports / arts away from the kids, drugs, etc... that's where I see the main shortcoming. Of course, other areas have similar problems - for instance, drugs are everywhere... but people tend to think that LI has a monopoly on great schools and it's so far from the truth. The fact that homeowners pay such a high premium for the schools here and still have to fund any extra program themselves is insane. Where is all that money going that the kids ultimately suffer?

It may very well be a "top place" on LI to live for many things - proximity to beaches, NYC, etc. But it's very far from a top place in value for the schools you get unless you're in the upper income brackets.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM

19,644 posts, read 20,449,048 times
Over 60% of school budget goes to salaries.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,578,309 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs
They're not allowed to go out and play anymore nor think of imaginative games to play. Now they have "play dates" and are told what to do. Everything is so structured nowadays.
My youngest child's elementary school day ends at 3:25. She doesn't step off the school bus until 3:50. When it grows dark early, there's scarcely enough time to get outside and enjoy the waning rays of light. The children with two working parents are usually in the after care program, so they won't be home until later in the afternoon.

There have been many times when one of my children set off to call for a friend but no one was home. Friends have had orthodontist, speech therapist, doctor, dance, religious ed, scouts, tutors, CYO, music or language lessons, etc.

Play dates are frustrating, to say the least. Some children have 'standing' play dates -- heaven forbid another child want to play! The mothers hover and only allow 2 to play; be real! I have an open door policy be it 2 kids or 8 kids. I don't want to be entertaining mothers who feel the need to sit while their child plays. How the heck are they to learn how to deal with situations with a helicopter parent?

I thought this was something unique to LI, but I've come to learn from my sister down south that in her community, it's very much the same.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,865,699 times
Quote:
#1...Quality of life. I don't enjoy living in Queens Jr. anymore.
#2...Ridiculous cost of living.
#3...The people. Seems almost everyone has a chip on their shoulder or a grudge.
Nearly everyone is confrontational in some way, shape, or form.
OK, not everyone, but it sure feels like everyone. I literally, and I don't think I'm exagerating too much, I literally cannot go anywhere without some kind of incident, most are minor, but it all adds up to royal p.i.t.a.
#4...all of the above squared.
That just about sums it up plus rising crime and the over crowding is rediculous. Gotta go where I can drive without constant traffic jams. The taxes are overbearing, political climate is way too liberal for me. The only thing LI has going for it are nice beaches and I don't care for the beach much so I'm outta here when I retire later this year.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,312,078 times
For me, its just a matter of "when" and not "why" because the decision has already been made.... and frankly its boring to go through the same stuff in such threads again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island