Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM

33 posts, read 110,503 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are closing on our first time within the next 5 weeks. Yippee!! (I am not from LI so this is all a bit new to me)

We bought a very nice home in North Massapequa. We had looked for awhile, and when we saw this home, we knew that is was "the one". I had wished that the school district was #23, but it is Farmingdale. We do not have children yet, and the elementary is Woodward Parkway.

So, tell me everything you know about North Massapequa. I have driven through the area to become familiar, but I want to know the ins and outs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
North Massapequa has some nice areas. Very middle class. Its not as nice as Massapequa or Massapequa Park but I would live there. I wish I could help you more with the schools but from what I last heard the schools are OK. Certainly better then Plainedge.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
I used to rent in North Massapequa (15+ years ago though). I really liked it there. I liked the neighborhood shopping and the commute to NYC was okay too. My mom used to live way out in Suffolk in Bellport Village, so it was nice being closer to the middle of the Island at that time than where I am now which is on the border of Queens. (Mom is out of state now, but wants to move back, this time to Nassau.)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with North Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB1021 View Post
So, tell me everything you know about North Massapequa. ... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The geography of North Masssapequa can be somewhat confusing as it is in the service area of 3 different ZIP Code postal zones: "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Farmingdale, NY 11735" and "Seaford, NY 117873".

For those who may not be familiar with North Massapequa:

North Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Plainedge; on the east by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Village of Massapequa Park; on the south by the Hamlet of Massapequa; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Wantagh and the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/North-Massapequa-map-ny.gif (broken link)

North Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Farmingdale, NY 11735" and "Seaford, NY 117873" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 110,503 times
Thanks!!

Anyone else?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
North Massapequa has some nice areas. Very middle class. Its not as nice as Massapequa or Massapequa Park but I would live there. I wish I could help you more with the schools but from what I last heard the schools are OK. Certainly better then Plainedge.
*ahem*

Plainedge alumna here. The Plainedge SD is MUCH smaller than Massapequa; however I do not feel short changed by the caliber of education I received there.

There is plenty of shopping nearby for what you may need, close proximity to parks & recreation, convenient to the LIRR and highways, and (when I was growing up there) a true sense of pride in community. Many Italian friends grew up in the area surrounded by aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. I believe this has helped with the sense of cohesiveness.

Nearby you have a bike/running path along the Bethpage Pkwy which takes you up to Bethpage Park. A little further south is the Massapequa Preserve (aka Three Streams) which is full of paths that will lead down to Montauk Hwy.

You've seen the area, so I need not discuss aesthetics -- you know what to expect.

Best of luck with your new home.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Its a pretty nice middle class area, very heavily Italian. The school taxes in North Massapequa (regardless if your in the Farmingdale or Plainedge district) are among the highest on the Island due to the fact you don't have the higher end homes or much of a commercial tax base in order to ease some of the burden.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
its a nice are but the school district sucks.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM

138 posts, read 492,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
its a nice are but the school district sucks.
Farmingdale sucks?

how do you figure?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,688 times
Farmingdale Schools are fine.

North Mass. is a very nice area, I would not hesitate for a second to live there. In fact I basically do, since N. Mass and F'dale border each other and I could basically throw a rock and hit N. Mass.

Woodward is a fine elementary school, a bit large by some standards, but I am quite pleased with the education that both of my children received there. Most parents that I know who currently have children there do speak very highly of it as well.

If the house you are looking at is zoned for Woodward, I assume you are looking either in Viceroy, or along Boundary Ave. near Broadway. Both Areas are very nice neighborhoods and as OhBeeHave mentioned this puts you right on top of the Bethpage Bike Path if you enjoy that sort of activity. Bethpage State Park is also a quick drive or bike ride away, with world class golf.

You will pretty much need a car to do most of your local shopping, but you won't have very far to go. Try A&S Pork Store on Broadway for Italian specialties, The Fairway grocery nearby is also pretty good. Farmingdale Village is also close by with several restaurants/pubs that are worth a shot - try the wings at Croxley's. If you like Japanese shoot down to Massapequa for Minami, or go for ice cream at Krisch's.

There is plenty to do and enjoy in the area! Try not to let the naysayers detract too much. Feel free to fire off any questions about the general area if you like, I'll be happy to share my opinion. Feel free to PM as well on any specific questions you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island