Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,295,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I was just curious if that was the norm in your area,

We have folks in the surounding districts moving to Rocky Point for our Special Ed program.
Apparently our neighbors arent pulling their weight and doing very little to remedy it.

I wouldnt change it but I was curious how that might impact testing scores.

Crooks
I disagree with this perspective. And you should really list specifics and examples regarding what districts, what the challenge was, where the district fell short and what services Rocky Point seems to augment student's education with that the neighboring districts lack...otherwise your thoughts and comments are no better than the "seems like" perspective regarding RVC.

In Syosset school district, for example, you will find that the school district provides a large population of one to one teaching assistants, an abundance of "push-in" staff for children in a mainstream classroom, and a long list of testing exceptions registered with the state to afford resource room/special ed: example being students in untimed standardized testing environments where necessary. These ratios are all in excess of what the state requires. I would argue that affluent districts, in appeasing high property tax payers, exceed the basic minimum for special ed support necessary to keep the parents (and their sense of entitlement) at bay...in exceeding these minimums that might account for stronger test scores in the end. That, and the prevalence of outside tutors, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Is it by design? I know we have people buying here just for our Special Ed program.Our test scores are good but wouldnt it make sense to judge those kids with a different measuring stick? Why punish a District for doing the right thing? Ive heard horror stories about Special needs kids in some of the nearby "Top Districts" . Thats effed...and for what, bragging rights? Shame on them.

Crooks
What specific examples/horror stories?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
What specific examples/horror stories?
We can disagree JrP.
Im just looking for feedback pal not debate.
Thanks for weighing in on Syosset

Perhaps its regional. I dont know.
I think Ive been pretty clear.

People have been moving here from "better" districts for the Special Ed services that they had not received in their "better" district.

Im curious if anyone else is experiencing anything similar?

Thats all : )

crooks

Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,914,837 times
Its too late to go into detail but had I stayed in the highly 'desirable' Port Jefferson School district my son would have never learned to write. He made it to 4th grade w/o being tested & only after I got the state board of ed involved did they arrange for testing. By then I had already researched a district with appropriate services & my boxes were packed & ready to go.
That was many moons ago, my son is almost 22 and it seems the tides have turned & the wealthy parents in the "great districts" have caught on to the benefit of an IEP. It sure would be great if every child had one. I think the tides are turning and services are provided universally now.
Here's the problem
when Jenny from Jericho has a learning disability, not only does her attorney father know how to write letters to the district to ensure she receives services, but her stay-at-home mother can drive her to specialized high priced tutors after school.
On the other hand when Carrie from Coram has a learning disability and her Dad doesn't have a HS diploma and doesn't really understand that you need to fight for services for your child, then her Mom gets home at 7pm from work & tries to do homework with a tired, frustrated child and the district has an overload of children with IEPs.
Which child will perform better on those slanted standardized tests?
Its not rocket science to see the whole picture.
Its another one of our seriously broken systems.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
It is only relatively recently that Special Ed and ESL students were included with the district scores. This has lead to some schools trying to siphon off their Special Ed & English language learner students to avoid having their scores pulled down in the school ranking list.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM

33 posts, read 161,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcparent View Post
i disagree... Rvc has some of the best special ed programs in the state, has an inclusion program and is one of the best school districts on the island.
are you out of your mind. Rvc has no program. You are drinking the kool aid. Who are you? You need to be schooled on this.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Its too late to go into detail but had I stayed in the highly 'desirable' Port Jefferson School district my son would have never learned to write. He made it to 4th grade w/o being tested & only after I got the state board of ed involved did they arrange for testing. By then I had already researched a district with appropriate services & my boxes were packed & ready to go.
That was many moons ago, my son is almost 22 and it seems the tides have turned & the wealthy parents in the "great districts" have caught on to the benefit of an IEP. It sure would be great if every child had one. I think the tides are turning and services are provided universally now.
Here's the problem
when Jenny from Jericho has a learning disability, not only does her attorney father know how to write letters to the district to ensure she receives services, but her stay-at-home mother can drive her to specialized high priced tutors after school.
On the other hand when Carrie from Coram has a learning disability and her Dad doesn't have a HS diploma and doesn't really understand that you need to fight for services for your child, then her Mom gets home at 7pm from work & tries to do homework with a tired, frustrated child and the district has an overload of children with IEPs.
Which child will perform better on those slanted standardized tests?
Its not rocket science to see the whole picture.
Its another one of our seriously broken systems.
The IEP is seen as an entitlement for children with even the slightest hiccup in many of these more affluent districts. I agree entirely. It has become another thing on a long list of items overbearing parents in some of these districts see that their child might not be getting, and that somebody else's is...IEP's for everyone!!!. When an assessment is done on a struggling student though it can be invaluable.

But given your examples (you see "crooks" Kelly gave some examples...) it would seem that families would be seeking to move to the more affluent districts, not the other way around.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
The IEP is seen as an entitlement for children with even the slightest hiccup in many of these more affluent districts. I agree entirely. It has become another thing on a long list of items overbearing parents in some of these districts see that their child might not be getting, and that somebody else's is...IEP's for everyone!!!. When an assessment is done on a struggling student though it can be invaluable.

But given your examples (you see "crooks" Kelly gave some examples...) it would seem that families would be seeking to move to the more affluent districts, not the other way around.
I knew she would

Right back at ya guy.

crooks

Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 594 times
My children are currently in the Rocky Point school district. My older son is doing well at JAE with an IEP but my younger son is having a hard time at FJC in spite of the supports afforded to him. We have had many IEP meetings to find a good setup to help my son succeed and at this point the board is insisting he goes out of district due to his school anxiety issues.He was in mainstream classes for kindergarten and first grade but his behavior was inappropriate. So the school continuously suspended my 5 year old . Suspension became a weekly event that quickly turned into a daily event. I often got a call to pick him up moments after he arrived at school. The principal told us our only choice was temporarily homeschooling him.I thought this was extreme but I trusted the "experts". He spent four months at home getting about four hours of instruction a week from his actual classroom teacher (who was absolutely amazing​ and came to our home after teaching a full day)but he wasn't getting enough instruction to stay up to the class level and fell grossly behind his peers socially and academicly. After 4 months of being pushed around by the school district,taking my son to counseling and completing a battery of psychological testing at Stony Brook University the school allowed him to return to school in May and transferred him to a hybrid 1st/2nd grade classroom to finish the last few weeks of school. (This option was not given to me earlier in the year). He is currently in this hybrid class as a second grader. He loves his teacher and is friends with the other children (a big accomplishment). He is very bright, friendly and kind. He has tested above average in some ways but he has a low meltdown point and the school stated that inspite of the fact that he is greatly improving with all the changes we have worked so hard to create over the last two years they just can't handle his moodiness so he cannot go to the school any longer. RPSD principal said my only choice is out of district. My son has expressed that he feels bullied at school but loves his teacher and classmates. They put him on a mini bus to help with his anxiety and transitioning issues which the school psychologist has recently dx him with. I told the IEP panel that they haven't given enough time for all the new changes implemented in June 2016 to take affect since school only began two months ago and they are saying that time isn't the issue and the changes wouldn't​ help my son anyway so I must take him out of district but I'm free to return once "he gets better". I have not yet tried medication because he is so young and the genetic testing results advised against medication due to the presence of the MTHFR Gene and ADHD ( bad combo) . My son is a budding artist and musician( he writes lyrics and plays drums,piano and guitar). I told the school to use his talents as a teaching tool, but they were not open to this idea. They are so focused in seeing problems that they are shutting out possible solutions. I'm scared the medication will destroy his creativity.The district told me my only choice is to put him into BOCES and if he gets better they will consider letting him return to school but staying in his current placement is not an option..My son gets good grades without studying,he has a great memory and loves to learn and be helpful to others but he's socially immature and has tantrums when pushed too much. I'm at the point where I'm willing to move my family to a school district that will help my son succeed without drugging him Into a state of compliance .Any ideas on what I should do/ where to look to relocate?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,753,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummermomof2 View Post
My children are currently in the Rocky Point school district. My older son is doing well at JAE with an IEP but my younger son is having a hard time at FJC in spite of the supports afforded to him. We have had many IEP meetings to find a good setup to help my son succeed and at this point the board is insisting he goes out of district due to his school anxiety issues.He was in mainstream classes for kindergarten and first grade but his behavior was inappropriate. So the school continuously suspended my 5 year old . Suspension became a weekly event that quickly turned into a daily event. I often got a call to pick him up moments after he arrived at school. The principal told us our only choice was temporarily homeschooling him.I thought this was extreme but I trusted the "experts". He spent four months at home getting about four hours of instruction a week from his actual classroom teacher (who was absolutely amazing​ and came to our home after teaching a full day)but he wasn't getting enough instruction to stay up to the class level and fell grossly behind his peers socially and academicly. After 4 months of being pushed around by the school district,taking my son to counseling and completing a battery of psychological testing at Stony Brook University the school allowed him to return to school in May and transferred him to a hybrid 1st/2nd grade classroom to finish the last few weeks of school. (This option was not given to me earlier in the year). He is currently in this hybrid class as a second grader. He loves his teacher and is friends with the other children (a big accomplishment). He is very bright, friendly and kind. He has tested above average in some ways but he has a low meltdown point and the school stated that inspite of the fact that he is greatly improving with all the changes we have worked so hard to create over the last two years they just can't handle his moodiness so he cannot go to the school any longer. RPSD principal said my only choice is out of district. My son has expressed that he feels bullied at school but loves his teacher and classmates. They put him on a mini bus to help with his anxiety and transitioning issues which the school psychologist has recently dx him with. I told the IEP panel that they haven't given enough time for all the new changes implemented in June 2016 to take affect since school only began two months ago and they are saying that time isn't the issue and the changes wouldn't​ help my son anyway so I must take him out of district but I'm free to return once "he gets better". I have not yet tried medication because he is so young and the genetic testing results advised against medication due to the presence of the MTHFR Gene and ADHD ( bad combo) . My son is a budding artist and musician( he writes lyrics and plays drums,piano and guitar). I told the school to use his talents as a teaching tool, but they were not open to this idea. They are so focused in seeing problems that they are shutting out possible solutions. I'm scared the medication will destroy his creativity.The district told me my only choice is to put him into BOCES and if he gets better they will consider letting him return to school but staying in his current placement is not an option..My son gets good grades without studying,he has a great memory and loves to learn and be helpful to others but he's socially immature and has tantrums when pushed too much. I'm at the point where I'm willing to move my family to a school district that will help my son succeed without drugging him Into a state of compliance .Any ideas on what I should do/ where to look to relocate?
JAE, IEP, FJC, no paragraphs? Who's going to read this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island