Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes there are idiots on there that definitely go too far and as it is an unmoderated forum as far as I can tell so it can get very rank. They ruin it for everyone else who wants to talk about the news.
That is pretty much the reason forums on certain topics were closed for commenting. It had nothing to do with the race of the criminal, but the fact that when the criminal was a certain race there were people who decided to turn the entire thread into a contest of how many times they could throw the n & s word around.

Anyway on Newsday's website they have a local police mug shot gallery, where they have mugshots of people of all races, and ethnic backgrounds who have been charged with various crimes. The idea that they tried to hide crimes committed by minorities as some sort of an agenda is absurd and isn't backed up by the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
My husband likes to proof read it. Its written on 4th grade reading level. He highlights the mistakes while he's in the bathroom (welcome to my world).
Now that the slimy Dolans own it, its TOTALLY slanted just like news12.
ILLEGAL aliens aka CRIMINALS are made out to be innocent, upstanding, taxpaying citizens.
Its insulting.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
PS: Actually one of the fun things to do online when there is a [domain blocked due to spam] link available is how people would catch the mistakes and post them there making fun of Newsday!
there was an article up last year that told the story of a guy from Long Island that was found dead in upstate NY a few years ago...but the body was only identified recently through a photograph or something like that.

Anyway, the article was so poorly written that people in my office were passing it around commenting on how awful it was. You had to read it 3-4 times to figure out what the hell had happened. Naturally, the comments section was flooded with people bashing the article. After about 10 hours or so, a new version of the article magically appeared.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Anyway on Newsday's website they have a local police mug shot gallery, where they have mugshots of people of all races, and ethnic backgrounds who have been charged with various crimes. The idea that they tried to hide crimes committed by minorities as some sort of an agenda is absurd and isn't backed up by the facts.
Obviously when the person is caught and there's a mug shot floating around, the person's race is usually going to be apparent.

For the most part, however, Newsday omits a person's race from articles that describe unsolved crimes. It's absurd to read an article that describes what type of jacket the bank robber was wearing but doesn't clue you in on their race.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM

371 posts, read 937,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
My husband likes to proof read it. Its written on 4th grade reading level. He highlights the mistakes while he's in the bathroom (welcome to my world).
Now that the slimy Dolans own it, its TOTALLY slanted just like news12.
ILLEGAL aliens aka CRIMINALS are made out to be innocent, upstanding, taxpaying citizens.
Its insulting.
I have noticed the last comment time and time again myself...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
That is pretty much the reason forums on certain topics were closed for commenting. It had nothing to do with the race of the criminal, but the fact that when the criminal was a certain race there were people who decided to turn the entire thread into a contest of how many times they could throw the n & s word around.
Often there is never any thread available from the beginning, NOT that there was one and then Newsday had to delete it because of bad behavior on the part of the posters.

Quote:
Yes, to their credit, they do not pick and choose faces in the mug shot gallery.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
there was an article up last year that told the story of a guy from Long Island that was found dead in upstate NY a few years ago...but the body was only identified recently through a photograph or something like that.

Anyway, the article was so poorly written that people in my office were passing it around commenting on how awful it was. You had to read it 3-4 times to figure out what the hell had happened. Naturally, the comments section was flooded with people bashing the article. After about 10 hours or so, a new version of the article magically appeared.
OMG! I remember this one! I was one of the people who bashed it!

I swear that they must be outsourcing the writing of the articles to India or something and posting them under fake names so they can pay their workers pennies on the dollar and just using a spell checker for cleaning up the spelling of the Queen's english.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Its insulting.
Yes! The butt-kissing of illegal aliens (aka "immigrant(s)" as Newsday calls them) is pathetic! It also mixes up real legal immigrants with the illegal alien criminals and tries to make both look equally entitled to be here. I respect legal immigrants. I don't respect illegal alien criminals and do not consider them the equals of legal immigrants, yet Newsday wants to brainwash us into that.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times
NEWSDAY doesn't have a moral or ethical obligation to print the Truth, ABOUT ANYTHING.

As a business, it will print the Truths of it's regular readers and subscribers.

At least, in this country, and on Long Island, we can find something to "say" to ourselves, what we want to hear. Even if that could be, the shrill sound of the Liberal Mocking Bird.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Often there is never any thread available from the beginning, NOT that there was one and then Newsday had to delete it because of bad behavior on the part of the posters.
Sometimes its there from the start and gets removed, other times its not there at all, and again it has nothing with wanting to limit discussion on certain type of criminals or anything like that, but the actions of certain posters who feel the need to turn every thread about a minority criminal into a minority bash fest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island