Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times

Advertisements

I was curious what the opinions were on Newsday around here. Fair? Biased? Liberal? Conservative? Would you want another daily paper on LI? Do we need another daily?

Fire away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,603 times
I think its a good paper and when I am on the Island I do read it occasionally. It covers mostly Long Island which I like whereas the other papers are more geared for the city. Another paper would not hurt. The more choices the better.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,419 times
Don't like it. Never did.

It's, frankly, a DULL newspaper, even though it's, really, the only newspaper for LI. Maybe that's part of the problem with it.

To me it has NO cache' or clout, within the business, like it once may have had, locally, or even on a national scale as an Opinion Leader. It's basically, a small time, regional newspaper, as it has always been...always will be. Small time, now operated by Small Businessmen...CV.

CV purchase was Pure Folly, in a long term business sense, at this time in the New Economy. They would have been better advised, to purchase a wholely, online news outlet "if" it was a long term investment, and "if" they were serious about entering the newspaper business.

ONLY a MANIAC would enter the newspaper business in 2008 or 2009 ! I guess that fits the Dolan Family, to a "T" ! I mean, doesn't a Successful Businessman have the foresight to see "trends" in Business ? You would thunk it wouldnt you ?

This indicates to me that their purchase was "another reason"...in other words, personal. I can ONLY see it, if they wanted to "flip" it for quick cash, to prop up the cash-poor CV "empire", as it were. It's just another source of propping up crumbling, CV.

That CV owns it, does not make ANY discernable difference, in the pantheon of Newspaper History, and they have NO intention of making it such, even in the short term.

If it was after the turn of the previous century, say 1920's, it would be a good business venture to get in, using it as the basis of a Media Empire. Instead it's going to be the Old Media Age's headstone.

It's a shame too. But it's a free country, so far, as we have seen "what" WALL STREET did to the country.

Money, The Bottom Line and the Stock Market are the NEW GODS ! EVERYTHING ELSE IS FODDER, AND DISPOSABLE, including ANYTHING to do with people's lives.

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-04-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Newsday, like many newspapers, demonstrates a liberal bias.

Apart from that they have recently raised their rates, which they were able to do due to their monopoly on Long Island.

I think we could use a viable alternative.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM

106 posts, read 337,388 times
'Newsday, like many newspapers, demonstrates a liberal bias'

You have that right, just like The New York Slimes, I mean The New York Times.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
'Newsday, like many newspapers, demonstrates a liberal bias'

You have that right, just like The New York Slimes, I mean The New York Times.

Why read when you can just listen to Rush for the news.

crooks

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
I think its generally a very good paper.

The editorial board may have a bit of a liberal lean (though not a hard one), but the news stories are presented in a balanced and fair manner unlike the New York Republican (ahem Post)

Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Newsday, like many newspapers, demonstrates a liberal bias.
What annoys me the most about this is how when Newsday is describing a criminal who is a minority, they will say EVERYTHING about the criminal ("was wearing pink shoes and a purple hat and carrying a Macy's shopping bag blah blah blah") BUT the race! If it is a white person, they always definitely say caucasian. For the times when Newsday does not print the race, as race is a major way to identify a person, they might as well not print the description anyway and ask people to be on the lookout for the criminal if they won't even tell you what race the suspect is. It's ridiculous!

I also noticed that a lot of Asian women from Queens (no pics or descriptions of those arrested, but you can tell by the name) are getting busted for unauthorized massage parlor worker and/or prostitution. Now sometimes they are not printing the name of the person arrested anymore. When they do print the name these days, it often is NOT an Asian sounding name, but a name that sounds "white."

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS CODDLING OF CERTAIN ETHNIC CRIMINALS? WHY DO THEY DESERVE MORE CONSIDERATION THAN OTHER CRIMINALS?

I WOULD PREFER ONE POLICY OF HANDLING CRIMINALS AND THEIR DESCRIPTIONS. EITHER DON'T PUT THE RACE FOR ANYBODY OR PUT IT FOR EVERYBODY. I WOULD ALSO PREFER ONE POLICY FOR NAMING CRIMINALS IN NEWSPAPER STORIES. EITHER PUT EVERYONE'S NAME OR DON'T PUT ANYONE'S NAME. WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR NEWSDAY TO DO? IT'S SO HARD TO STICK TO THE SAME STANDARDS FOR EVERYONE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Apart from that they have recently raised their rates, which they were able to do due to their monopoly on Long Island.

I think we could use a viable alternative.
I agree. A place with a population as large as LI should have at least another option, but as the newspaper biz is not so great these days, I doubt we will get one.

I remember there was the Long Island Press back when I was a kid. I think there still is some incarnation of it as a free paper.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Why read when you can just listen to Rush for the news.

crooks
Yeah drug addicts are so credible!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What annoys me the most about this is how when Newsday is describing a criminal who is a minority, they will say EVERYTHING about the criminal ("was wearing pink shoes and a purple hat and carrying a Macy's shopping bag blah blah blah") BUT the race! If it is a white person, they always definitely say caucasian. For the times when Newsday does not print the race, as race is a major way to identify a person, they might as well not print the description anyway and ask people to be on the lookout for the criminal if they won't even tell you what race the suspect is. It's ridiculous!

I also noticed that a lot of Asian women from Queens (no pics or descriptions of those arrested, but you can tell by the name) are getting busted for unauthorized massage parlor worker and/or prostitution. Now sometimes they are not printing the name of the person arrested anymore. When they do print the name these days, it often is NOT an Asian sounding name, but a name that sounds "white."

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS CODDLING OF CERTAIN ETHNIC CRIMINALS? WHY DO THEY DESERVE MORE CONSIDERATION THAN OTHER CRIMINALS?

I WOULD PREFER ONE POLICY OF HANDLING CRIMINALS AND THEIR DESCRIPTIONS. EITHER DON'T PUT THE RACE FOR ANYBODY OR PUT IT FOR EVERYBODY. I WOULD ALSO PREFER ONE POLICY FOR NAMING CRIMINALS IN NEWSPAPER STORIES. EITHER PUT EVERYONE'S NAME OR DON'T PUT ANYONE'S NAME. WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR NEWSDAY TO DO? IT'S SO HARD TO STICK TO THE SAME STANDARDS FOR EVERYONE?

This is really overblown and basically untrue. I have seen it both ways, sometimes the names are mentioned, sometimes they aren't, sometimes the races are mentioned sometimes they aren't, however its the same regardless of what race it is or regardless of how the name sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island