Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM

294 posts, read 879,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglim View Post
just found this quite by accident... lived in levittown all my life and i have always loved being here...needless to say we were robbed once while we all slept and the guy that did it was white and living in an appt in levittown...we have also had many block parties and my neighbors are great and having lived in florida for one year i missed the social aspect of being able to walk across the street and borrow sugar from a neighbor and have a cup tea without being worried about when my neighbors will pick up and move (florida is very transient) so 47 years i lived here and my husband also...my 4 children went to levittown schools which have improved so greatly i cant even compare the education that my children have gotten to what my husband and i have...so we have no basement cos we go outside and socialize and we have smaller kitchens but thats is always where the party is no matter how small and it makes so many great memories and the bathroom situation ,,,i have 3 and they are not that small except the powder room....there are many levittown homes as big as mine, my dad built the dormer in 1957 and another one in 1962 and another in 1983 and when we wanted to go bigger cos we were all living together ( including 5 adopted children, many races included) the town denied us and years later there are so many homes bigger than ours that even have upper attic space, what you can do with a levit house is amazing!!!! taxes are high but you will find many owner like ourselves who have never left and have alot of pride in levittown...a side note back to the 5 adopted children a new neighbor in 1975 almost did not buy cos he saw my brother who is afro-american with a boom box by his ear and almost did not buy cos of that...they did anyway when they found out our family was predominantly white and they have never been neighbors that i liked....so for the most part levittown should not have a bad rap it has alot of things wonderful about and we are very defensive of this...once at a garden city game they showed with white trash bags on their bodies to signify well....white trash....ha ha thats is so funny cos in any town anywhere on long island you will find someone who grew up in levittown that loved it and has great memories and they are trying to recreate that feeling in their own towns....my father just passed at 80years old now he grew up in ridge and my mom got letters from there but the letters she got from old neighbors in levittown were so many and filled with wonderful stories of watching t.v on the front lawn and parties and snowball fights and helping each other build things on the houses....levittown is one of the best places to bring up kids and no one can convince me otherwise........true levittonian.....tracy

Completely agree with you on this...great community !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

75 posts, read 562,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am assuming you are older than me. North Bellmore has drastically changed from the time I was a little kid until I got older. Now it's just really bad, so bad, I couldn't take it. It's sad to see the place where your roots are and your home for more than half your life, turn to sh*t right before your eyes.

Anyway, a little off topic. This thread was about levittown. I like L-town, great place.
Since when is North Bellmore bad? It's a lot nicer than Levittown, even though Levittown is perfectly safe.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Ah, all of LI is bad. Everybody just pack up and move right now

Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
Since when is North Bellmore bad? It's a lot nicer than Levittown, even though Levittown is perfectly safe.
mepham is filled with druggies. there is a lot gang-related activity. I don't care for it.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
mepham is filled with druggies. there is a lot gang-related activity. I don't care for it.
Every school has druggies. EVERY SCHOOL HAS DRUGGIES.
The gang activity is the shocker, I wasn't aware of gangsta activities in N. Bellmore...Seems like it's just about everywhere else, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM

264 posts, read 878,115 times
It's admittedly kind of hard to avoid the gang activity most places on Long Island.
I haven't heard of anything too bad in N. Bellmore though.
I'm guessing the gangs don't have as much influence/power as in other places such as Hempstead.

In terms of druggies, druggies are everywhere.
Which school district has a greater percentage of druggies?
Cold Spring Harbor or South Huntington?
From attending South Huntington schools and from what I know of CSH, both probably have very similar percentages.
You have your kids who are inclined to participating in illicit activities and your kids who wouldn't do such things...
Most people would probably guess South Huntington though.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM

44 posts, read 129,983 times
JDAWG8181 is a hater on bellmore ... we all know this . Someone said some bad things to her once and she can't let it go . Let's move on .

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
There isn't even anything close to gang activity in North Bellmore, JdAwG is clueless.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
There isn't even anything close to gang activity in North Bellmore, JdAwG is clueless.

Actually, there is a little gang activity in N Bellmore that I am fully aware of....but it is a very minor issue and probably no more than most other areas of the same reputation. JDawg paints N. Bellmore way worse than it really is.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Wasn't Mepham the High School where some kids on one of the teams were taken to a camp on a school trip and the older boys sodomized the younger ones with broomsticks, etc., as part of a hazing ritual? I think this was a couple of years back and this sodomy/hazing ritual was actually a tradition for this sports team for several years until one kid got internal injuries to his anus and the story got out. Ew!

PS: Just as a note to people not familiar with the area, Mepham is not in Levittown, it is in Bellmore.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: added clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island