Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuota View Post
Hey I Love LI But......"skels" that is a term that very few people know about. It was a common term used by a certain public group if you know what I mean. You must be retired from the city. LOL.
No, my dear, I am far from retired and I do not work in the public sector. (I have "miles and miles to go before I sleep" if I may paraphrase Robert Frost.) I didn't know that term was not commonly known around here. For example, how did you learn it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 AM

19,576 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Just as us "Up Islanders" were deathly afraid of dropping off the Island, or getting sodomized "Deliverence" style by the good ole boys way back in the day when we crossed the Suffolk county line, Them people from "Out East" believe everything west of Lindenhurst is just like Queens...oooo, the "City"...Ha ha!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^I really hope it doesn't go back to how it was in the 80s then! My fiance and I seem to like the town now as it is. When our future kids are in high school 20 years from now, I hope the high school is still good.
With professionals like yourself and your husband moving in every day, how could it?

Don't let what some people say spoil your excitement at buying a new house. If they don't like Levittown, then they don't have to move there.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
but seriously, there has to be SOME reason why prices there are lower...anyone have any thoughts?

again, besides the no basements thing?
There have been prior threads about this subject where people explain their theories in detail that have not taken a turn for the facetious. Run a search and check them out.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:22 AM

The only thing keeping housing prices down in Levittown is the fact that not enough of the houses have the following:

cherrywood kitchens with ss appliances,

ceramic tile and hardwood floors throughout,

master bedroom suite with joining bathroom that includes his and hers sinks, a separate shower and a jacuzzi bath, fancy imported marble and tile are also a requirement, oh almost forgot the walk in closet.

full finished basement with "man room",

open floorplan with sliders leading out to a fancy masonry style patio,

white pvc fencing,

cobblestone driveway,

bathroom on every level,

bedrooms are smaller than 20x15, thus not big enough for a home office,

fireplace on every level,

Am I missing something? probabally. Let me go watch "House Hunters" again to be sure...sheesh!
I wish people would stop following everything on HGTV like brainless sheep.
(no disrespect to actual sheep, and I appolgize if I offended any sheep)

I watch these shows basically because they do have some merit as far as designs and colors etc, and I am in the process of renovating my house, but when I see these house hunting shows, they lead you to believe that the stuff I listed above is a necessity if you want to sell your house. Like every house has this stuff and the few that don't wont sell. It's totally ridiculous and very unrealistic. And even when they feature a first time home buyer on the show that doesn't have a pot to **** in, they are hell bent on these features in a home. "oh, these cabinets are maple, yuck, this kitchen will HAVE to be renovated".
Please.

Levittown=Not HGTV friendly. For the most part.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of magnificent homes in Levittown.
And, the beauty of Levittown is that the original Levitt home is actually a cape, but with a smaller footprint than usual.
Capes=infinitely expandable & infinite possibilites.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM

61 posts, read 152,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The only thing keeping housing prices down in Levittown is the fact that not enough of the houses have the following:

cherrywood kitchens with ss appliances,

ceramic tile and hardwood floors throughout,

master bedroom suite with joining bathroom that includes his and hers sinks, a separate shower and a jacuzzi bath, fancy imported marble and tile are also a requirement, oh almost forgot the walk in closet.

full finished basement with "man room",

open floorplan with sliders leading out to a fancy masonry style patio,

white pvc fencing,

cobblestone driveway,

bathroom on every level,

bedrooms are smaller than 20x15, thus not big enough for a home office,

fireplace on every level,

Am I missing something? probabally. Let me go watch "House Hunters" again to be sure...sheesh!
I wish people would stop following everything on HGTV like brainless sheep.
(no disrespect to actual sheep, and I appolgize if I offended any sheep)

I watch these shows basically because they do have some merit as far as designs and colors etc, and I am in the process of renovating my house, but when I see these house hunting shows, they lead you to believe that the stuff I listed above is a necessity if you want to sell your house. Like every house has this stuff and the few that don't wont sell. It's totally ridiculous and very unrealistic. And even when they feature a first time home buyer on the show that doesn't have a pot to **** in, they are hell bent on these features in a home. "oh, these cabinets are maple, yuck, this kitchen will HAVE to be renovated".
Please.

Levittown=Not HGTV friendly. For the most part.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of magnificent homes in Levittown.
And, the beauty of Levittown is that the original Levitt home is actually a cape, but with a smaller footprint than usual.
Capes=infinitely expandable & infinite possibilites.
I think you may be right.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times
The nice thing about the Levitt houses is that you can easily expand.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM

213 posts, read 700,376 times
I do remember seeing a NYT article last month about Levitown. The article stated that the percentage of foreclosures in Levitown was higher than other similar communities and the county average. The writer was intimating it was the beginning of the decline of the first LI suburb. Perhaps Levitowns lower real estate values combined with easy credit over several years has attracted homebuyers that can no longer afford to keep up their homes and/or pay their mortgages and probably should not have bought home in the first place.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,707,528 times
If I recall correctly, the taxes in Levittown are typically higher than similar areas (Hicksville). Could be another reason why it's a less than desirable destination for some.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM

I bought my first house right before the Nassau reassessment kicked in, maybe a year or so before. My taxes were $1200 a year. $12 friggin hundred a year. In Oceanside no less.

Anyway, being a young homebuyer, basically just starting out in life on my own with a family, we had a certain monthly bottom line, and this home fit into that bottom line with the mortgage and taxes being where they were. So, when the reassassment kicked in my taxes went from $1200 to $3700! I nearly had a stroke,
in fact, I probabally did and haven't recovered from it yet.
My mortgage went up like $300 a month, which at the time was a devastating financial blow. I actually was in pre-forclosure twice, because I couldn't keep up with the bills. THANK YOU MR. SUOZZI! Anyway, eventually things evened out, I got a better job etc...But I've been living pretty much in a fishbowl ever since.

The moral of the story is...what happened to me happened to every other resident of Nassau County. Most of us were able to adapt and keep the ball rolling, but many weren't, and lost everything. What in the "F" were they thinking with this reassessment crap? did they for just one moment think that this could be a devastating finacial blow to many residents? Idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island