Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,697 times

Advertisements

Oh for goodness' sakes, that's not proof of anything about our government. Hucksters have been claiming to be able to tell you how to get government money for decades.

I'll try to find out how the Section 8 list works, but everyone I know who has any experience with it is in the city.

Also, from here:

Town settles housing bias suit

"Despite its stated policy to keep its waiting list closed until the number of names fell below 100, the town reopened the list to new applicants."

So, from the sound of it, it wasn't a "reserve list" exactly--just that when they came down to only having nonresidents on the waiting list, they reopened it rather than give vouchers to nonresidents, despite a policy saying that they wouldn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Oh for goodness' sakes, that's not proof of anything about our government. Hucksters have been claiming to be able to tell you how to get government money for decades.
Remember this guy?

There was a thread on this subject (Smithtown Section 8 housing) on here over a year ago that seems to have been deleted. I remember the situation not being as cut and dry as the headlines would make it seem.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That is standard practice in Civil Service tests for government jobs, so why not for a government housing program? They may have 1000s of test-takers that make up a list, but they are not required to call from the same list for all eternity until the list of people who passed the test are exhausted. They can have another test any time they want for the same position(s) and start an up-to-date list.

As for the disappointed non-residents, were they all minorities or were there also some whites that were still on the secondary list that had never been called? If there were no whites left waiting to be called on the secondary list, yes that is suspicious. Somehow I doubt that. There were probably more disappointed whites on the secondary list than any other race.

It wasn't that there were no whites on the 2nd list, but that the 2nd list was mostly minority they skipped that went elsewhere and got a new list which was 90% white.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
We will all see how you feel AFTER they achieve "more diversity".

Good Luck, and you will need it !

The Joke is...no one here, or ANYONE, for that matter, will see that Day, EVER.

It's the Dream, that will keep on foolling people into thinking, it will ACTUALLY Happen, that keeps on getting people to act like Fools today.

Just like the "recent dream" that One Man, is the Second Coming !

Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It wasn't that there were no whites on the 2nd list, but that the 2nd list was mostly minority they skipped that went elsewhere and got a new list which was 90% white.
How do you know the racial makeup of the 2nd list? If it was mostly minority, then they have a point.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Remember this guy?
I was curious about this guy's TV commercials and the promises it made, so I took his book out of the library. There were plenty of program in it, but the eligibility for each of the programs was so narrow, that most people would not qualify for them anyway. Therefore a waste of money to buy the book.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Here's a link I found about a company that will help you, learn to get grants from the Obama Administration. It even comes with a personal message from our President !

It BLEW MY MIND, but it shows that there is always someone around to teach you how to put your hand out, for a free ride...when someone gives the go ahead ! GOD help US !

www.GrantGenerator.com - REQUEST YOUR FREE GOVERNMENT GRANT KIT TODAY!
This has nothing to do with Obama and did not start with his administration. These types of hucksters have been out there for decades.

What actually happens is the person who answers their advertisement ("free" or not) ends up paying them something, somehow (buy a manual, etc.) so the only one who makes off with "free money" is the huckster. The person who believes their advertisement generally might as well have thrown their money down a rathole.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times
It's gotten sophisticated and highly stylized, with sprinkles on it, with this Administration !

This kind of advertisement illustrates just "HOW MUCH" Government Money is "floating around" out there with this Obama ET AL, and for those who can't hire an expensive K Street lobbyist, who are you going to go to ?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you know the racial makeup of the 2nd list? If it was mostly minority, then they have a point.
It was stated in the lawsuit. The fact that Town never denied that claim and that they settled leads me to believe they knew they had little legal ground to stand on in this case.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It was stated in the lawsuit. The fact that Town never denied that claim and that they settled leads me to believe they knew they had little legal ground to stand on in this case.
I agree with this. They would not have settled so quickly if they had a defensible case.

Here's a question that I don't know the answer to: Can a municipality opt out of Section 8 altogether if it wants to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island