Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Valentine's Day is the toughest day in the year to get a table anywhere, and the fact that it's on a Saturday this year is compunding that. Try opentable.com and put in the time and area you want to see what's available, or call the sushi places you have in mind and see if you can get a reservation. Whatever you do, do not complain to her about nothing being available, or how hard it was to get a reservation, yadda yadda. No woman wants to hear this. For afterwards, ask around and see what quiet bar or coffee house is nearby so you guys can talk.

For flowers, if you are comfortable doing this, the best thing to do is to send them to her office tomorrow. You can try one of the big names always advertising(like proflowers) or call a florist near her place of employment. Getting flowers at work is awesome!

Good luck.

It's NOT worth beating your brains out, about !

If she knows you, she will be grateful for ANYTHING !

By the by OMAGAWD, how long is that shortlist and what are YOU doing, for Valentines Day ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay813629 View Post
I've recently returned to NY and have been lucky enough to start talking with a girl I used to date. We've been out twice since my return and both times have gone well. I asked her if she wanted to go out for Valentines Day and she answered with an enthusiastic yes.

Here's my dilemma. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK THERE IS TO DO AROUND HERE ANYMORE!

Haha, sorry. Dinner should be cake (no pun intended). I figured a nice sushi restaurant (and yes, she is a big fan) although I'm not sure which one yet. Dinner would be in the early evening. I'm at a loss as to what to do afterwards. I want to go somewhere we can talk and get to know each other more, so a movie is out of the question. What is there to do here during these winter evenings? Advice? Criticisms? Thanks...
Where are you located? I have two sushi places in mind that you might like. As for after dinner I know some places too but if you are out on the *ss end of Suffolk you won't be interested in driving over an hour to Nassau County.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
It's NOT worth beating your brains out, about !

If she knows you, she will be grateful for ANYTHING !

By the by OMAGAWD, how long is that shortlist and what are YOU doing, for Valentines Day ?
What are YOU doing for Valentine's Day? Are you married?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
First off plan the date yourself and do not tell her anything, just advise on how to dress for the night.

Make reservations at a nice place in Restaurant Row. Have an early dinner. You can go a little earlier and walk around the city. While having dinner to not let her know what you have planned next.

After dinner walk across the street and take her to a Broadway play (get tickets today). Again, as you are walking to the playhouse, don't mention anything about your plans.

If funds are ok, spend some more time in the city, the weather looks good. Maybe a carriage ride or just walking around and talking. If you guys are pretty close, book a nice room and spend the night in the city.

You don't have to get the best seats at the play, the restaurants are not expensive. Get a single rose after the play is over for her. Ask someone to take a pic of you guys with the rose in front of the playhouse.

The next day, print that pic, get a nice frame and send it to her in the mail with a card thanking her for spending the day with you.

Anthony
Very nice ideas, but it sounds like too much of an investment for people that have only been dating a short time (especially the hotel bit).

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What are YOU doing for Valentine's Day? Are you married?
Yes, though it's probably hard for anyone to believe here.

Going out to dinner tonight, actually.

How about you, I Love LI ?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Very nice ideas, but it sounds like too much of an investment for people that have only been dating a short time (especially the hotel bit).

I agree...too much investment. Save your money, and do something homemade, EVEN THOUGH you won't make OMAGAWD's short list !

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Going out to dinner tonight, actually.
That is a good idea to avoid the crowds and to avoid some restaurants only offering a "special" (higher priced) menu for Valentine's Day. However, celebrating early and then staying in on the actual day is a good idea for an established couple. For a new couple, if he suggests this it will look chintzy.

My husband and I are going out on the actual day because we both tend to work very late during the week, but if we had some time during the week I would do it your way.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_li_but View Post
that is a good idea to avoid the crowds and to avoid some restaurants only offering a "special" (higher priced) menu for valentine's day. However, celebrating early and then staying in on the actual day is a good idea for an established couple. For a new couple, if he suggests this it will look chintzy.
"chintzy" ?

If she has ANY sense or ANY care for the person, she won't CARE what she gets, and she will be grateful for the good thoughts !

I gots my coupon for tonight and my WINTER COMMUNITY COUPON BOOK, just in case we want dessert !

Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I like Anthony's idea, but sitting watching a play is several hours that I feel would be better spent talking or canoodling in a cozy coffee house listening to a musician.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I like Anthony's idea, but sitting watching a play is several hours that I feel would be better spent talking or canoodling in a cozy coffee house listening to a musician.

Plays, these days are TOO EXPENSIVE !

Spending time to get to know each other is more important. Gimme a cup o' Joe, and a Dunkin Donut Jelly Stick !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island