Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 AM

73 posts, read 109,640 times

Advertisements

I've recently returned to NY and have been lucky enough to start talking with a girl I used to date. We've been out twice since my return and both times have gone well. I asked her if she wanted to go out for Valentines Day and she answered with an enthusiastic yes.

Here's my dilemma. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK THERE IS TO DO AROUND HERE ANYMORE!

Haha, sorry. Dinner should be cake (no pun intended). I figured a nice sushi restaurant (and yes, she is a big fan) although I'm not sure which one yet. Dinner would be in the early evening. I'm at a loss as to what to do afterwards. I want to go somewhere we can talk and get to know each other more, so a movie is out of the question. What is there to do here during these winter evenings? Advice? Criticisms? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,968,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay813629 View Post
I've recently returned to NY and have been lucky enough to start talking with a girl I used to date. We've been out twice since my return and both times have gone well. I asked her if she wanted to go out for Valentines Day and she answered with an enthusiastic yes.

Here's my dilemma. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK THERE IS TO DO AROUND HERE ANYMORE!

Haha, sorry. Dinner should be cake (no pun intended). I figured a nice sushi restaurant (and yes, she is a big fan) although I'm not sure which one yet. Dinner would be in the early evening. I'm at a loss as to what to do afterwards. I want to go somewhere we can talk and get to know each other more, so a movie is out of the question. What is there to do here during these winter evenings? Advice? Criticisms? Thanks...

GO OUT IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, BUT NOT ON VALENTINES DAY !

BUY YOUR FLOWERS AT STOP AND SHOP ! Or get an inespensive paper flower arrangement that will last longer, and be a rememberance for her...Women like that kind of stuff !

Spend, actual, Valentines Day at one of your "homes"...quiet nosh, with wine candles and just talking.

NOTE: I personally feel, this "holiday" is the BIGGEST RIP OFF there ever was ! Right next to Kwanza and Puerto Rican Day...and a few others I can't think of NOW ! DONT get sucked into the Rip Off ! Believe me, you're NOT impressing ANYONE !

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-12-2009 at 03:01 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,432,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
BUY YOUR FLOWERS AT STOP AND SHOP ! Or get an inespensive paper flower arrangement that will last longer, and be a rememberance for her...Women like that kind of stuff !
WRONG..... A bunch of cheap flowers from stop & shop or some paper crap are NOT a good idea..... Women do NOT like that.

Quote:
Spend, actual, Valentines Day at one of your "homes"...quiet nosh, with wine candles and just talking.
WRONG AGAIN... if someone asked me "out" on Valentines Day, only to turn out having a "quiet nosh" at his place or mine? He'd be scratched off the short list quickly..... Absolutely wouldn't be getting a call from me any time in the near future!

================================================== =

To the OP.....

You probably won't be able to get into any decent restaurants early in the evening at this point. They're most likely already booked to capacity. Ask around at work, find out the name of a few decent places and call around and *hope* to get a reservation.

Afterwards, a comedy club might be fun or maybe a movie. Not sure what either of you are into? What do you/she like to do? Bowling? Movies? Video games? Book stores? Starbucks? Figure out what you both like and do that after dinner.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
WRONG..... A bunch of cheap flowers from stop & shop or some paper crap are NOT a good idea..... Women do NOT like that.

WRONG AGAIN... if someone asked me "out" on Valentines Day, only to turn out having a "quiet nosh" at his place or mine? He'd be scratched off the short list quickly..... Absolutely wouldn't be getting a call from me any time in the near future!

================================================== =

To the OP.....

You probably won't be able to get into any decent restaurants early in the evening at this point. They're most likely already booked to capacity. Ask around at work, find out the name of a few decent places and call around and *hope* to get a reservation.

Afterwards, a comedy club might be fun or maybe a movie. Not sure what either of you are into? What do you/she like to do? Bowling? Movies? Video games? Book stores? Starbucks? Figure out what you both like and do that after dinner.

STOP N SHOP have HIGH QUALITY floral arrangements IN EVERY STORE !

THERE IS NO WAY, I WOULD GET HIT UP FOR $50.00 A DOZEN !

The "decent restaurants" WILL RIP YOU OFF ! A personal gesture, and time spent alone, sound like a good date, in this circumstances.

PLAY IT COOL, DONT MAKE A BIG UPFRONT INVESTMENT, AND DONT FORGET TO BREAK UP BEFORE HER BIRTHDAY AND MAJOR HOLIDAYS ! Making up is ALWAYS fun to do...especially make up sex !

My attitude, if "they" don't like...they can LUMP IT !

You are TOO HIGH MAINTENANCE, OMIGAWD !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPq9tF1FbnA

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-12-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM

131 posts, read 608,385 times
First off plan the date yourself and do not tell her anything, just advise on how to dress for the night.

Make reservations at a nice place in Restaurant Row. Have an early dinner. You can go a little earlier and walk around the city. While having dinner to not let her know what you have planned next.

After dinner walk across the street and take her to a Broadway play (get tickets today). Again, as you are walking to the playhouse, don't mention anything about your plans.

If funds are ok, spend some more time in the city, the weather looks good. Maybe a carriage ride or just walking around and talking. If you guys are pretty close, book a nice room and spend the night in the city.

You don't have to get the best seats at the play, the restaurants are not expensive. Get a single rose after the play is over for her. Ask someone to take a pic of you guys with the rose in front of the playhouse.

The next day, print that pic, get a nice frame and send it to her in the mail with a card thanking her for spending the day with you.

Anthony

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,106,787 times
Apparently Arbys in the Broadway Mall is closed.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
First off plan the date yourself and do not tell her anything, just advise on how to dress for the night.

Make reservations at a nice place in Restaurant Row. Have an early dinner. You can go a little earlier and walk around the city. While having dinner to not let her know what you have planned next.

After dinner walk across the street and take her to a Broadway play (get tickets today). Again, as you are walking to the playhouse, don't mention anything about your plans.

If funds are ok, spend some more time in the city, the weather looks good. Maybe a carriage ride or just walking around and talking. If you guys are pretty close, book a nice room and spend the night in the city.

You don't have to get the best seats at the play, the restaurants are not expensive. Get a single rose after the play is over for her. Ask someone to take a pic of you guys with the rose in front of the playhouse.

The next day, print that pic, get a nice frame and send it to her in the mail with a card thanking her for spending the day with you.

Anthony
Class with a "K", Anthony !

Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Apparently Arbys in the Broadway Mall is closed.
Nothin' says HAPPY VALENTINES DAY, LIKE SOME ARBY'S CURLY FRIES....AND FREE COUPONS !

This is what I'm going to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ILU...saturday-night-

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-12-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,382,364 times
IF I were into going out, AnthonyNYC's idea sounds quite romantic.

Personally, I have to agree with LongIslandMike that Valentines is highly overrated and I've told my b/f NOT to do anything for the holiday. It's a scam perpetuated by the flower, jewelery and restaurant industry to get into a man's pockets. If you really love someone, you should show them in little ways all year long, not just on Feb 14th. Ok, rant over. LIAC steps down off soapbox...

HOWEVER, if you treat this like any other special date to impress the object of your affection, I think you'll be fine. If you know what she likes, make plans to do some of those things. For me, the carriage ride sounds like the most romantic part of of AnthonyNYC's plan for the evening - but that's me. Tailor the night to be something she has dreams of and that is specially suited to her and you'll have a wonderful night. Maybe something you remebered from knowing her in the past, perhaps?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,774,529 times
Valentine's Day is the toughest day in the year to get a table anywhere, and the fact that it's on a Saturday this year is compunding that. Try opentable.com and put in the time and area you want to see what's available, or call the sushi places you have in mind and see if you can get a reservation. Whatever you do, do not complain to her about nothing being available, or how hard it was to get a reservation, yadda yadda. No woman wants to hear this. For afterwards, ask around and see what quiet bar or coffee house is nearby so you guys can talk.

For flowers, if you are comfortable doing this, the best thing to do is to send them to her office tomorrow. You can try one of the big names always advertising(like proflowers) or call a florist near her place of employment. Getting flowers at work is awesome!

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island