Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:23 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Smithtown SD is also really good. One of the most expensive, but good. I guess those 2 go hand in hand though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISchools View Post
This is why I am trying to get as much personal experience information as I can. Islip was specifically recommended to me as a district that works well with children like my son by someone who polled several advocates. I have gone to an Islip SEPTA and met the former Spec Ed Director who recently was promoted to Asst. Supt. Do you still have to fight, or do you feel they are doing right by your son now?
Actually he's getting all the services now. I think we made it plain to them we knew the law and they actually finally got with the program. It would not be a big move from EI to Islip for you. You could still do all the same thing as they are neighboring towns.

If you want you can always try to get an advocate to help you learn the laws.

I'm not sure what they would specifically do for a child with ADD. Islip classes are also quite big--my son's has 27. There are also 2 elementary schools, depending where you live.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
I know many people dont like the Longwood school district. But I have only good things to say about it. My two sons go to Parochial school and one gets resource help daily thru Longwood. He also jsut got approved for OT.

When we lived in Patchogue, we had to fight tooth and nail for every single service that my son needed. Unfortunatley they didnt pay any attention to those who evualated him and even gave recommendations. Pity they didnt give it, as two years later, with a fight, they approved him for a program that was recommended two years earlier.

Just my two cents worth.
dorothy

Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 41,469 times
Sorry I haven't replied, I didn't realize there were more posts. I have gone through a due process hearing, and did my homework as far as the law. I would love to be in Islip, but I am trying to find a district where I don't have to have the knowledge of a lawyer or hire a lawyer to get what my son needs and is entitled to.

Both my kids are in a small private school now in West Sayville. KellyG had said positive things about Connetquot. That would be great. This school only goes to 8th grade. If my son got the services he needs through Connetquot and had the personal attention at this school, maybe by 9th grade he would be ready for the public school.

I'm actually not sure where longwood is (I'll check MLS), but I am looking to not have to fight. The frustration has knocked so much out of me. Sounds like everyone who posted understands that feeling.

Thanks to all for input and if anyone has 2 cents, please feel free to add. I can't get too much information.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,438 times
Default Check out Vclc

Special education schools on Long Island

http://www.vclc.org/

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISchools View Post
Sorry I haven't replied, I didn't realize there were more posts. I have gone through a due process hearing, and did my homework as far as the law. I would love to be in Islip, but I am trying to find a district where I don't have to have the knowledge of a lawyer or hire a lawyer to get what my son needs and is entitled to.

Both my kids are in a small private school now in West Sayville. KellyG had said positive things about Connetquot. That would be great. This school only goes to 8th grade. If my son got the services he needs through Connetquot and had the personal attention at this school, maybe by 9th grade he would be ready for the public school.

I'm actually not sure where longwood is (I'll check MLS), but I am looking to not have to fight. The frustration has knocked so much out of me. Sounds like everyone who posted understands that feeling.

Thanks to all for input and if anyone has 2 cents, please feel free to add. I can't get too much information.
Longwood is Coram, Middle Island, and Ridge. Personally, I do think you would be better off in Connetquot.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
Connetiquot is awesome, I have heard for special services.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
hi, my son graduated from Connetquot in 05. I jumped for joy the day he graduated, there were times when he was young & we were in a district that makes the top 200 in the COUNTRY list year after year that I NEVER thought I would see him graduate. I moved to connetquot for the services. The elem & M.S. were amazing, I was a little disappointed w/the high school. Especially the guidance dept. They told my son community college was his only option.
i live in longwood now, and although my kids don't attend i hear the greatest things about it from my neighbors. the kids in my neighborhood have great school spirit.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,170 times
My son is 4 1/2 years old and has ADHD as well as PDD NOS. We live in Port Washington. They have been fantastic with giving him services. He recieved at home services for a year and has been going to full time school (BOCES) for 1 1/2 years with extra OT. There was a time were they had to push services on him because we didn't feel he needed them at the time. I would with reservation recommend the Port Washington school district.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,483 times
stay away from connetquot. it did nothing for my son and he can learn. they don't care but when in your they act like they do. the life skills program can be taught by any idiot and his first two teachers proved just that. i took him out of their summer babysitting program and he went up one and a half years on his testing scores. i'm looking to move now and will continue to teach him at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island