Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times

Advertisements

Thats cool. Im a engineer also-mechanical(HVAC). There are many more civil eng. jobs than anything else. And that seems like the norm for all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
My husband and I are both engineers (electrical) and there's only civil engineering jobs over there, and some mechanical (I looked). I think if your in the health industry, it is easier. I'm not looking to work - I have it pretty comfy being a stayathome mom , but there's nothing for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Quote:
So true, 347 is a nightmare - even in the middle of a weekday (don't these people work, lol).

Going past the mall at Christmas time is horrible - I avoid it.

I really have to get out east and see more of it. I'm hoping it will give me that upstate NY feel (or PA feel) that I love. I used to travel out there all the time when I was a teen (but that was a long time ago).
This is what happens because 347 got too built up. Last Christmas time was awful, over 60 minutes behind, Route 25 and 347 parking lot from Nicholl's road.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 PM

There's plenty of shopping around Shoreham IMO. King Kullen is great, my favorite supermarket, while most supermarkets like Stop and Shop cut their fresh good and bakery down to nil, King Kullen still has a great selection.
You got pizza places, chinese places, Rocky Point Kohl's shopping center aint far either. There's more than enough shopping nearby IMO. Unless you're one of those ppl that has to have a mall within 5 min away??

Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM

And the main attraction to living in Shoreham-Wading River, lots of pines!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,658 times
Quote:
Here's another question: Are most families out there 1 or 2 income earners? Will I be the only stayathome mom on the block? I know it's hard to say - I can't answer this for where I currently live.

I'd say its a mixed bag. Plenty of dual income families, but mostly by choice not necessity I gather. Lots of SAHMs too, I see plenty when I'm out on weekdays around town.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 AM

481 posts, read 1,059,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
There's plenty of shopping around Shoreham IMO. King Kullen is great, my favorite supermarket, while most supermarkets like Stop and Shop cut their fresh good and bakery down to nil, King Kullen still has a great selection.
You got pizza places, chinese places, Rocky Point Kohl's shopping center aint far either. There's more than enough shopping nearby IMO. Unless you're one of those ppl that has to have a mall within 5 min away??
Well, I hate the mall so it won't be a problem (I loath shopping). My daughter (12) on the other hand, loves the mall and it would be a good thing to move away from that. She BEGS me to drop her off there with her friends b/c they ALL do it (and I won't). If we move we'll have an excuse - nope too far . She'll love the outlets though.

Okay, next question:
I've been searching on the maps for the town beach in Shoreham- where it is? From google maps, I can see a parking lot near the beach, is that the town beach?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Well, I hate the mall so it won't be a problem (I loath shopping). My daughter (12) on the other hand, loves the mall and it would be a good thing to move away from that. She BEGS me to drop her off there with her friends b/c they ALL do it (and I won't). If we move we'll have an excuse - nope too far . She'll love the outlets though.

Okay, next question:
I've been searching on the maps for the town beach in Shoreham- where it is? From google maps, I can see a parking lot near the beach, is that the town beach?

She'll love
Tanger Outlets Centers

The Town Beach is off of North Country.

crooks

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,137,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm not quite in Shoreham, but am in Rocky Point. You are correct in your assessment that you have to get in a car and drive to shopping. There's a King Kullen in Wading River, a Waldbaums in Rocky Point and a Stop & Shop in Miller Place. I pick the one with the best sale that week, as I'm not driving to all three to price shop. As for Target, you have to go to either Medford or East Setauket or Riverhead. There is a Kohls in Rocky Point, and I've been known to wander there when I HAVE to go to a store for some quick retail therapy. When I want to do a bit of shopping however, I either go to East Setauket for Stop & Shop, BJ's, Target, Home Depot and such. Or Riverhead, for the same things plus quite a few other stores. You end up planning your shopping a bit more - which can be good for the budget - and combining your trips and stocking up instead of shopping every few days.

Other than that its a nice area, as you don't have too much of the shopping traffic - except during pumpkin picking season. And there are some nice restaurants to go out to eat - Phils, Gracies, etc. It's a family community and most of my neighbors are young families with children. I'm the odd one out here as I'm single without kids.
Sorry to correct you but Stop N Shop is on rt 112 in port jeff station and just closed. Gracies has been closed for YEARS and price wise in the area Pathmark on Rt 112 is your best option. In Wading River they have lots of shopping and in Riverhead they've been building it up for years with the Tanger Outlets (now adding a 3rd side) plus the shopping center with Boulder Creek(great area).During fall is when you get the crazy crowds especially just before Mattituck but Shoreham area is definitely an upgrade and more family friendly area.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sorry to correct you but Stop N Shop is on rt 112 in port jeff station and just closed. Gracies has been closed for YEARS and price wise in the area Pathmark on Rt 112 is your best option. In Wading River they have lots of shopping and in Riverhead they've been building it up for years with the Tanger Outlets (now adding a 3rd side) plus the shopping center with Boulder Creek(great area).During fall is when you get the crazy crowds especially just before Mattituck but Shoreham area is definitely an upgrade and more family friendly area.

GRACIE'S is absolutely alive and delicious in downtown Rocky Point.
http://www.graciesrestaurant.com/
(Great Pot Roast but leave room for the Bread Pudding)

Stop and Shop is in Miller Place on 25a by Starbucks/Gamestop
http://www.stopandshop.com/our_store...oreNumber=0554

The new Waldbaums in Rocky Point is nicer but Pathmark in Port Jeff Station is a great place to save if you dont mind the wandering skels and homeless.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-14-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,137,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
GRACIE'S is absolutely alive and delicious in downtown Rocky Point.
index
(Great Pot Roast but leave room for the Bread Pudding)

Stop and Shop is in Miller Place on 25a by Starbucks/Gamestop
Our Stores*-* Stop & Shop

The new Waldbaums in Rocky Point is nicer but Pathmark in Port Jeff Station is a great place to save if you dont mind the wandering skels and homeless.

Crooks
You're definitely right about Pathmark.Is the owners of Gracies the same ones who worked in Manorville minus the original owner who moved away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island