Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times

Advertisements

Some friends were discussing this. With the market tanking, many people can now afford to be in top districts. One concern many of us had is our children being the poor kid in a rich district, and never being able to keep up with their peers.

Some of us felt it was better to have the top district, and the child would learn that its just life to have someone richer, prettier, smarter, etc. than you. Others felt that being the poor kid could have a severe negative impact on the child.

So, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:03 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
i think this is typical in ANY sd on long island. our kids are spoiled(inc mine). i think our kids need to get back to basics along with us.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
Here is a thread from a while back on this very topic

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post1608804

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
The problem is, if you're "poor" in a "rich" district, your child is going to be an outcast. Harsh to say but very true. It's not like a middle class district where there are some who have a little more or a little less and it all evens out. If you're in a "rich" district and can't keep up, your kid is going to have a VERY hard go of it.

At your child's age, they're not going to truly understand the "realities of life" (and I'm talking "kids" any age under 20). All it's going to do is to destroy their self-esteem and make them feel "less than". As adults, we can understand it and rationalize it. Kids CANNOT (no matter what they may say)

(not sure what district you're talking about --- is it a TRULY "rich" district or just better than where you are? And if it's that "rich", how would you afford a home there, even with prices slightly declining?)

Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Kids reflect parents' attitudes - so if you drum into them they're inferior due to your own financial circumstances, they'll probably be miserable. But if you don't, they'll be fine.

My kids went through a school district that had quite a number of rich, spoiled kids. But not all the kids in the district were from well-off backgrounds like that; in fact I'd say that there were more middle class kids in the district overall. My kids certainly never suffered from envy, they had many friends, some very well off with many material advantages, and yet they never begged for things.

It really has more to do with the attitude of the family than anything else (and how materialistic the family is).

Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Some friends were discussing this. With the market tanking, many people can now afford to be in top districts. One concern many of us had is our children being the poor kid in a rich district, and never being able to keep up with their peers.

Some of us felt it was better to have the top district, and the child would learn that its just life to have someone richer, prettier, smarter, etc. than you. Others felt that being the poor kid could have a severe negative impact on the child.

So, what do you think?
What school district do your questions apply to?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM

113 posts, read 437,987 times
I grew up with some of the wealthiest on Long Island (Hewlett Harbor) and although I can say a lot of my friends were spoiled to the point of affecting their adulthood (some still mooch off their parents 18 years after high school) they were my friends and I was never made to feel like I wasn't on their level. We were a middle class family in an upper class town but I have nothing but wonderful memories - it's the people and the way their kids are raised. If you child is smart enough they will know who to choose as friends, if they aren't than I suppose they will succumb to being an outcast as someone said.....

I say, don't worry about it.....

Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Kids reflect parents' attitudes - so if you drum into them they're inferior due to your own financial circumstances, they'll probably be miserable. But if you don't, they'll be fine.

My kids went through a school district that had quite a number of rich, spoiled kids. But not all the kids in the district were from well-off backgrounds like that; in fact I'd say that there were more middle class kids in the district overall. My kids certainly never suffered from envy, they had many friends, some very well off with many material advantages, and yet they never begged for things.

It really has more to do with the attitude of the family than anything else (and how materialistic the family is).

You support my opinion. You weren't in a "rich" district -- you were in a middle class district with some who had a little more or a little less and it all evens out.

Parental attitudes have a teeny bit to do with it. You can drum into your kids heads that they are wonderful human beings no matter what they have/don't have. However, when everyone in the school shuns you because you DON'T have or people treat you differently or talk to you differently then, yes, it's going to screw up the kid's self esteem regardless what was taught at home.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
With the current market, some of those rich kids will not be so rich any more either....

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM

113 posts, read 437,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
With the current market, some of those rich kids will not be so rich any more either....
You speak the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island