Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 49,753 times

Advertisements

Please post constructive solutions, suggestions and thoughts on origin of this problem. No offensive rants, please - just frank, fair opinions & ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM

161 posts, read 683,116 times
If the Island can't stretch across the Atlantic and/or the Pine Barrens area can't nurture some urban sprawl, then I don't see how the housing market will improve. The demand to purchase a home on LI has certainly gone down with the current pricing and economic conditions. This will guarantee a huge price adjustment- this will only help.

Origin- Unionized jobs, Insurance abuse; false claims, workmans comp, malpractice etc.... High utilities and taxes- drives various types of business away like manufacturing, wholesale trade etc...

My solution- Leave and find a better place. I went to Raleigh NC and love it. Very much like LI but affordable and housing continues to grow outward- no limitations. I work with relocations everyday and enjoy helping LI people find hope again for themselves and their business.
"Get out of Dodge"!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
You don't have to move all the way to NC to find a cheaper place to live. There are houses within a 30-45 minute commute of the city that are going for $350k in New Jersey. These are decent towns too with good school districts, I'm not talking about Newark/Paterson here.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Pennsylvania has some really great schools too. I think if the realtors would realize maybe if they shave their commision slightly also, they might sell also. One realtor I interviewed wanted 6% and is all he did was put it in the mls and open houses no other advertising.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
If the Island can't stretch across the Atlantic and/or the Pine Barrens area can't nurture some urban sprawl, then I don't see how the housing market will improve. The demand to purchase a home on LI has certainly gone down with the current pricing and economic conditions. This will guarantee a huge price adjustment- this will only help.

Origin- Unionized jobs, Insurance abuse; false claims, workmans comp, malpractice etc.... High utilities and taxes- drives various types of business away like manufacturing, wholesale trade etc...

My solution- Leave and find a better place. I went to Raleigh NC and love it. Very much like LI but affordable and housing continues to grow outward- no limitations. I work with relocations everyday and enjoy helping LI people find hope again for themselves and their business.
"Get out of Dodge"!
Yeah, NC is so much like LI. Please. I can't wait until the prices continue to rise, then the taxes, etc. Good luck with that. Good solution...see some issues, pack up and move and not try to do anything to fix it. SWEET

Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 AM

44 posts, read 234,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Yeah, NC is so much like LI. Please. I can't wait until the prices continue to rise, then the taxes, etc. Good luck with that. Good solution...see some issues, pack up and move and not try to do anything to fix it. SWEET
You are assuming it can be fixed. I'm not so sure, which is why I cannot answer your post with a solution. Which is also why I have relocated to Charlotte. If the prices and taxes continue to rise, and I am sure they will, I will still be better off then I would be if I had stayed.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
Default Careful

Wife & I moved away from LI to the midwest 3 years ago. We're moving back as soon as our house is sold. We were born & raised on LI and after a year away we were homesick. No place like LI, with the taxes, traffic, etc. I'd rather live there than the midwest and southeast USA that in spots are 20 yrs behind the times. I know. I've lived it. Whenever I visit my family on LI, I feel as if I'm transported into the future. I Can't wait to get back to that energetic cauldron of humanity

Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 AM

75 posts, read 294,044 times
I agree, PeterB. I moved upstate for college in '97, but I ended up settling here. I'm not sure why, exactly. Anyway, my problem is that I can't afford moving back unless my wife goes back to work and we put our infant daughter in daycare. As much as people poke fun at it, complain about it, talk about leaving it, LI is the best place to live!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I'm usually upbeat about things but I think LI has a bleak future. A lot of negatives and very few positives. Unfortunately most of the major problems in LI were allowed to fester for far too long. Spitzer has a lot of good intentions but he would really have to focus in on this area, and he seems more interested in developing Upstate New York and NYC than in LI. I see things getting worse not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island