Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post

Seriously...doesn't the possibility of, the "cram down", proposal, "cancel" the clamor, for First Time Mortgage Give Aways ?

I believe the biggest impact the cram down proposal will have is with short sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I believe the biggest impact the cram down proposal will have is with short sales.
QUESTION ONE.....And, could you share with us, "what", "short sales" are ?

And aren't ALL sales, "short sales", these..."groan"...... days ?

Meaning......."if" short sales are....

1) "For owners who can no longer afford to keep mortgage payments current, there are alternatives to bankruptcy or foreclosure proceedings. One of those options is called a "short sale.""

2) "When lenders agree to do a short sale in real estate, it means the lender is accepting less than the total amount due. Not all lenders will accept short sales or discounted payoffs, especially if it would make more financial sense to foreclose; moreover, not all sellers nor all properties qualify for short sales."

and, 3) "Except for certain conditions pursuant to the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, be aware the I.R.S. could consider debt forgiveness as income, and there is no guarantee that a lender who accepts a short sale will not legally pursue a borrower for the difference between the amount owed and the amount paid. In some states, this amount is known as a deficiency. A lawyer can determine whether your loan qualifies for a deficiency judgment or claim."

Short Sale in Real Estate - How to Handle a Real Estate Short Sale

QUESTION TWO..... How much of a percentage, of a real estate agents sales ARE these type of sales, these...GROAN...days ?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
QUESTION ONE.....And, could you share with us, "what", "short sales" are ?

And aren't ALL sales, "short sales", these..."groan"...... days ?

Meaning......."if" short sales are....

1) "For owners who can no longer afford to keep mortgage payments current, there are alternatives to bankruptcy or foreclosure proceedings. One of those options is called a "short sale.""

2) "When lenders agree to do a short sale in real estate, it means the lender is accepting less than the total amount due. Not all lenders will accept short sales or discounted payoffs, especially if it would make more financial sense to foreclose; moreover, not all sellers nor all properties qualify for short sales."

and, 3) "Except for certain conditions pursuant to the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, be aware the I.R.S. could consider debt forgiveness as income, and there is no guarantee that a lender who accepts a short sale will not legally pursue a borrower for the difference between the amount owed and the amount paid. In some states, this amount is known as a deficiency. A lawyer can determine whether your loan qualifies for a deficiency judgment or claim."

Short Sale in Real Estate - How to Handle a Real Estate Short Sale

QUESTION TWO..... How much of a percentage, of a real estate agents sales ARE these type of sales, these...GROAN...days ?

Thanks
Quick answer first: Q2: at the moment, a very small percentage, partly because not many agents have enough knowledge to properly present offers to lenders; I do see that changing later this year--and there will continue to be "short sales". Most agents also don't want to spend the time involved in doing short sales.

Q1: You seem to have researched the subject, and I'm not going to write a long post here rehashing part of it and adding more, sorry.
Bottom line is, lenders insist on having the property listed with a Realtor, and the homeowner must prove true hardship with regard to their inability to pay. The ding on your credit with a short sale is a lot smaller than a foreclosure or bankruptcy.
Oh, and in this (declining) market, deeds in lieu are not usually an option.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Quick answer first: Q2: at the moment, a very small percentage, partly because not many agents have enough knowledge to properly present offers to lenders; I do see that changing later this year--and there will continue to be "short sales". Most agents also don't want to spend the time involved in doing short sales.

Q1: You seem to have researched the subject, and I'm not going to write a long post here rehashing part of it and adding more, sorry.
Bottom line is, lenders insist on having the property listed with a Realtor, and the homeowner must prove true hardship with regard to their inability to pay. The ding on your credit with a short sale is a lot smaller than a foreclosure or bankruptcy.
Oh, and in this (declining) market, deeds in lieu are not usually an option.

Thank you for explaining it, as best you could.

I'm guessing there will be NOTHING but short sales, for agents, because there won't be very many other "situations", as the Economy, will continue to "contract", to the point, where.....drum roll...The Beneficent Federal Government, in the New Province of Washington DC....hi-hat.....will dictate this to you.

They are so...ahem, far ahead of themselves, on the "details", they will be making it up as they go along...like they have EVERYTHING, since January 20.

Of course, because your Living depends on The Details, as ALL OF OURS DO NOW, they present the "outline" first, and the details, depending on the outcome of Focus Groups.

At least, they are giving us THE REALLY BAD NEWS, first, to prepare us FOR THE REALLY BAD NEWS, later.

How kind.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 AM

21 posts, read 65,521 times
Dear Elke,
My situation, My wife boaught a co op when I was not in usa. My name is not in the co op mortgage. Still I am not qualifying as a first time home buyer?

Please
Thank you,

Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshahin View Post
Dear Elke,
My situation, My wife boaught a co op when I was not in usa. My name is not in the co op mortgage. Still I am not qualifying as a first time home buyer?

Please
Thank you,
Sorry to tell you, if either spouse owned a home (including co-op) during the last THREE years, you don't qualify.
If it was almost three years ago, then "timing" the closing could work by planning the closing, however, as of now, eligibility expires Dec. 1, 2009.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing there will be NOTHING but short sales, for agents, because there won't be very many other "situations"
While I'm sure there will be a lot more short sales than currently, I don't agree about NOTHING BUT--simply because not everyone will qualify. "Hardship" is indeed hardship as defined by lenders and that's a lot "harder" than most people think

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM

294 posts, read 878,831 times
Ksahin-
I checked with my mortgage contact (they are the #1 lender in the US) and if you are not on the current mortgage for the co-op then you can qualify as a first time homebuyer on the new home, as long as you are a permanent resident alien. So you will be able to reap the benefits of the first time homebuyers deal as long as it is just you on the new mortgage. !!!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Ksahin-
I checked with my mortgage contact (they are the #1 lender in the US) and if you are not on the current mortgage for the co-op then you can qualify as a first time homebuyer on the new home, as long as you are a permanent resident alien. So you will be able to reap the benefits of the first time homebuyers deal as long as it is just you on the new mortgage. !!!!!!
OK, after some headscratching , I decided to go on the IRS website - after all, this is a tax issue, not a mortgage issue, and here is the link to FAQs regarding the tax credit:

Moderator cut: sorry to remove so much information, but we need to be careful of copyright infringements .

CPAs are going to be busy this year, answering lots of questions about the tax credit...

In the above quote, at issue here is "any other main home", and I wouldn't want a mortgage company interpret an IRS rule for me (but that's just me).
[/font] [/font]

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-05-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Please watch the copyright infringements as per the TOS. Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: